ForumsThe TavernQuestions About How You Use Microwave Ovens

11 6615
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I have a few questions about how you use microwave ovens.

Question 1
When microwaving food for exactly 1 minute (60 seconds), how do you type that into your microwave? Do you press 1-0-0 (for 1:00, 1 minute) or do you pres 6-0 (for 0:60, 60 seconds)?

Question 2
Does your microwave oven allow you to put in times like 1:90 (standing for 1 minute 90 seconds and equivalent to 2 minutes and 30) and have you ever microwaved food using this input method?

(If your microwave does allow for inputs like 1:90 does it display the time as 1:90 or change it to 2:30?)

Additional Statements
I know that most microwaves have different interfaces that function in different ways, so these question may not apply to your microwave. I have even used a microwave with a turn dial that started instantly when you turned the dial to the proper time. If my questions don't apply you can say so and then state how your microwave works.

My answers.
For question 1, I almost always put in 1:00 (I press 1, 0, and 0 again on the keypad). I know it would (most likely) be quicker to press 6-0, but I tend to see 1 minute as 1:00 more readily than 0:60, so use the 1:00 input.

For question 2, I have never put in a time such as 1:90 or 2:70 (except only to test it out). My microwave allows such times to be entered and microwave doesn't correct the time to the more standard minute and second display. So 1:90 will stay and countdown as 1:90, 1:89, 1:88, etc.
I think most people wouldn't bother with putting times like 1:90 because it requires additional mathematics to be done in your head.

The reason I ask these question is because the first question is like a peak into someones mind and a test to see which method of input is more common. I personally did not give much thought to entering 1 minute by pressing 6 and then 0 on my microwave, It almost came natural for me to put in 1:00. This made me wonder if some people almost always put in 60 seconds and never give thought to entering 1 minute (1 then 0 and then 0 again).

• 11 Replies
Showing 16-15 of 11