ForumsNews and FeedbackForum Notification?

37 4728
Ferret
Ferret
9,290 posts

One of the ideas I've been throwing around here is a way to notify people on the forums. We already have a @Ferret function, so maybe allowing that to notify a user along with the thread link via e-mail would be useful.

Assuming we put some protections against spamming, what are thoughts?

• 37 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,229 posts

It's only been suggested every week for years. :P

Do iiiit please Ferret please!

Ferret
Ferret
9,290 posts

Heh, I know I want it as well.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,233 posts

As long as there's protections its fine.

Ferret
Ferret
9,290 posts

Yes, and you should be able to disable it in your profile like other notifications. We're also talking about notifications when people post on your user page of course.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,836 posts

I get enough e-mail as it is. I'd probably get bogged down, but if it can be disabled that'd be great. A notification emblem on the site would be more helpful, but that's just me.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,836 posts

Edit: Add an Edit button while you're at it.

Ferret
Ferret
9,290 posts

Yeah, we all want the edit button. Trust me. It's just not nearly as easy to make happen I'm afraid. :/

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,113 posts

As long as it can be disabled.

~~~Darth Caedus

CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
410 posts

Well, as long as there's a way to look at it without going to your email every five minutes.

Wouldnt it be easier to just check the forums that often if youre that eager to find new posts?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,433 posts

This idea seems harmless. If it's just like the comment notification which can be disabled, I don't see any downsides.

Just to make it clear to those who may not entirely be sure specifically what this feature does, what is it exactly that users are being notified of? I get the general idea, but what is it specifically that will trigger said notification?

If someone typed @Ernie15, for example, and I had the feature enabled, would I receive an email?

Ferret
Ferret
9,290 posts

So, notification is in place. @Username ill notify the person you loop into forum threads and comments by e-mail.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,836 posts

Ok. That works for me. Let's see how it goes.

Ferret
Ferret
9,290 posts

@MattEmAngel You could say, summon a really old user and maybe something magical will happen and they will come back and talk to you.

gh0sts
gh0sts
877 posts

Is there a way to turn this off or would that defeat the purpose?

Ferret
Ferret
9,290 posts

It should now be showing up in options to turn it off/on.

Showing 1-15 of 37