ForumsNews and FeedbackDelete/Edit Post

28 16323
jmababa
jmababa
54 posts
Shepherd

this would be a great addition in the forums so everyone can delete or edit their wrong post wrong comments and some of the stuff they were not supposed to post but accidentally posted cause of wrong url

• 28 Replies
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I like this idea a lot. In case you missppelld no, misspelled a word, enter a wrong url, or made some other kind of mistake, this would make it easy to correct.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

The issue with deleting is very simple, people can post whatever they like - then delete it. Now you can put something in place that allows Moderators/Admins to see deleted comments, but that's quite a bit of extra work to be done.

Now editing comments is still something we're discussing, but the reason it's not even been tackled at this point is the difficulty of its implementation. If we moved to a completely new forum system, we'd get a lot of these fancy things. Keeping this same old code, we have to build all the functionality separately. Both present problems.

Trust me, I want an edit button as well.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

We can't assume that the forum will always be just the core forum group, if we build a new fancy forum - I'd love to see it integrated more heavily with the site and that may mean lots of new faces. The system we put in place has to be able to handle that. THAT being said, there may be a forum system out there with all these things in place that handles the moderation bit easily?

Man, I should just learn how to code and do this myself. :P

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

I love how they have kitchen spam as well! HA!

Could you ask them what forum system they use? I can see what we think about it over on our end.

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

As for the classic "People will abuse the system" reason, I believe that a majority of the members won't bother, since so many of them already report spam and bots.

The majority was, is and wont be the problem, the small group that abuse the system is.
I made this experiences by myself, i was a mod (on a german forum) and we had the possibilty to see changes/edits (and yes, its absolutely needed), caused by a caching issue this system failed for only 2h... and trust me, even users you never expected abused the forums in this small period.

So some kind of changelog is absolutely needed to preserve control.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I can't be completely sure, but I think we regulars are so reluctant upon having a revamped forum system simply because we enjoy the simple, widely-spaced layout that it offers (Instead of this. OR THIS. ARRRRRGH!!) to make community gatherings easy to learn and access. But I think that if we can somehow keep this layout, give it a futuristic finish, and integrate everything we have with the new features it offers, people will be more than happy. People have been asking for the same features for so long, it's become a site-wide meme.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I like how Frank used the word 'becoming'.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I like how Frank used the word 'becoming'.

Sorry, become* :P

But anyway, I frequently hear the argument that new features will clog up the system/make everything messy. Forums like vBulletin are pretty gross, and I'm sure the users who have been here for at least 2 years remember when AG tried some neat features which eventually led to a lot of bugs, so there's that too.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Could anybody take a look at forum solutions and tell me if there is any that does appeal to you? There are a lot out there, I've looked at many myself - I'm just curious what other people may think.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I thought we had an edit button already?

Edit: Oh wait, nevermind.

Last edited by Gantic 3 minutes ago.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Gantic, you are a hilarious moderator. In fact, you're the funniest guy I've ever met.

Last edited by Gantic 1 minute ago.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Bunnies are superior to ferrets in every way.

Last edited by Gantic 1 minute ago.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

I've edited the title, let's keep this conversation going. Find me amazing forum solutions!

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

I've edited the title

You? Not Gantic?
Showing 1-15 of 28