ForumsGamesGemcraft CS: Secrets Guide (SPOILERS!)

210 225397
Hyppy
Hyppy
59 posts
Peasant

Reposting this from /r/Gemcraft. These are a collection of the discovered secrets in Gemcraft: Chasing Shadows. Some of this may be slightly inaccurate, but hopefully compiling all the knowledge here will get us closer to the final answer.

Grey Trees

ReaperGuy on the AG forums figured out GreyTrees, and Seberoth also identified some extra codes. It was discovered that the outside corner squares of the map (zoom out to make them easier to see) are clickable. Various codes inputted will do changes to the game, but so far it's only cosmetic aside from the almost-useless Gift Gems.

The codes are entered with the following scheme (as if they're four corners of a number pad):
Southwest = 1
Southeast = 3
Northwest = 7
Northeast = 9

The codes discovered so far are:
11331791 - Grey Trees - To get the achievement, finish any field with this set.
11319773 - Black Orb
13371337 - Spinning tower shots
11379197 - Mossy towers
97713791 - Mossy amplifiers
77919713 - Heavy rain
79797919 - Heavy snow
77311973 - Gift gems
11799397 - Dark monsters
11111111 or any 8 digits of the same number - Mods reset

Assuming up to 8 digits in any given code, there are still over 65k codes to try. I don't think brute forcing these will work. Again, all credit for this discovery goes to ReaperGuy and Seberoth on the AG forums.

Compass

The basic gist is that you need to set all compass pieces to tier 5 and beat the final one that drops the field marker. Rinse and repeat 11 times for talismans and field markers. The third reward is a bugged field marker that prevents the round from finishing. Just manually end it and start on the next compass set. You'll know you have completed them all when the gems no longer show up in the loading screen.

The compasses themselves correspond to the gem tiers you see on the loading screen of compass levels. Teardrop is tier 1, triangle is tier 2, square is tier 3, a "U" shape is tier 4, and an "X" shape is tier 5. Every time the compass tiers reset, the compass correspondences are set to a random orientation, which always follows a pattern of 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2.

Let me be perfectly clear: The directions on the compass don't matter for any tutorial/description, because where Tier 5 is pointing is random each time you do things such as reload the game, change your skills, or beat a level.

The compass levels, in left-to-right order, are C2, E3, J2, K2, O3, U4, and X7. The easiest level to finish at is E3, with only 24 waves at untraited Looming.

Here is my basic algorithm for setting a compass based upon the gem at the loading screen:
Tier 1 - Turn 4 times. Done.
Tier 2 - Turn 3 times. Recheck.
Tier 3 - Turn 2 times. Recheck.
Tier 4 - Turn 7 times. Recheck.
Tier 5 - Done (duh).

With this algorithm, tier 2 and 4 always become a tier 3 or 5. Tier 3 always becomes a tier 1 or 5.

The rewards for completion of a certain amount of cycles is as follows:
1 - Field D6
3 - Bugged Field Marker (perhaps supposed to be N7?)
5 - Field O4 (Already acquired through normal progression)
7 - Field P6
9 - Field Q7
11 - Field X6
2, 4, 6, 8, 10th times: Talisman fragments of ascending quality

Missing Fields

This list is FAR from complete or entirely accurate. These are just the notes I have from field markers I have acquired or seen from other sources.

A6 - Complete A4 on Glaring
B6 - Complete the achievement "Still Alive B1"
D6, P6, Q7, X6 - See compass explanaition above.
Y4 (->Y5->Y6) - Complete all waves on X5 without charging up the gem.
G4 - Complete the rest of Hex G on Haunted difficulty
L5 - Complete L1, L2, and maybe L4 on Haunted difficulty

• 210 Replies
boobelessb
boobelessb
8 posts
Nomad

Can someone make a youtube clip explaining the compas stuff?

Nutellaboy
Nutellaboy
3 posts
Shepherd

i completed all the compass stuff but didn't get D6 .___.

crazyworkins
crazyworkins
34 posts
Herald

I just want to know where the tomes that unlock amplifiers and poolbound gems are.

Altran
Altran
2 posts
Jester

**** I too missed D6 cause I left after I saw it drop from compass and left game, and you can't get it after - it's already been reported day ago - I hope they fix it in next version.

thebigbox
thebigbox
61 posts
Blacksmith

i got amplifiers long time ago but i diditn find the poulbound gem yet!

kristenreilik
kristenreilik
5 posts
Nomad

i have field N6, i think i opened it by doing achievements. But how to open N7 :d?, battle did not end so i returned to map

Hyppy
Hyppy
59 posts
Peasant

Yeah, N7 is still a mystery. I believe that N7 is the field that is the reward for the third compass completion. If it's bugged, we have to wait for a patch.

forman
forman
2 posts
Herald

I am not seeing any gem while compass levels are loading. I mean, I can see the usual red "glowing" gem behind the percentage loading progression, but nothing unusual compared to what is happening when I load other, non-compass levels. Am I missing something? I am not premium, if that matters.

kristenreilik
kristenreilik
5 posts
Nomad

i got x6 open but not n7, leaved the map :d. any way to get it back ?

JedaFlain
JedaFlain
3 posts
Nomad

I am not seeing any gem while compass levels are loading.

I had to turn the brightness up on my monitor to be able to see the gems during the load screen.
Dor
Dor
6 posts
Peasant

I don't understand how the compass thing works, can you give an example?

Cirno
Cirno
31 posts
Peasant

When you click one of the maps that has a compass on it (C2, E3, J2, K2, O3, U4, and X7), the loading screen will show the silhouettes of seven gems. Changing the compass while playing the map will also change the corresponding gem in the loading screen.

What you are trying to do is change all the gems to have the silhouette of grade 5 gems. Each time you click the compass, it will switch the silhouette of the gem in the following order: 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

After clearing the stage, you can reload the map to see if you've done it correctly.

kristenreilik
kristenreilik
5 posts
Nomad

You don't need to clear the stage, just the last one to get the talismans and field markets it drops. Just choose level, click compass, return map, choose it again to check i you got tier 5 and keep doing it with others also

forman
forman
2 posts
Herald

Thanks JedaFlain, increasing my display gamma did the trick!

drewg22
drewg22
24 posts
Shepherd

They compass stage gems don't change for me unless I complete the level.

Showing 1-15 of 210