ForumsGamesGemcraft CS: Secrets Guide (SPOILERS!)

210 225561
Hyppy
Hyppy
59 posts
Peasant

Reposting this from /r/Gemcraft. These are a collection of the discovered secrets in Gemcraft: Chasing Shadows. Some of this may be slightly inaccurate, but hopefully compiling all the knowledge here will get us closer to the final answer.

Grey Trees

ReaperGuy on the AG forums figured out GreyTrees, and Seberoth also identified some extra codes. It was discovered that the outside corner squares of the map (zoom out to make them easier to see) are clickable. Various codes inputted will do changes to the game, but so far it's only cosmetic aside from the almost-useless Gift Gems.

The codes are entered with the following scheme (as if they're four corners of a number pad):
Southwest = 1
Southeast = 3
Northwest = 7
Northeast = 9

The codes discovered so far are:
11331791 - Grey Trees - To get the achievement, finish any field with this set.
11319773 - Black Orb
13371337 - Spinning tower shots
11379197 - Mossy towers
97713791 - Mossy amplifiers
77919713 - Heavy rain
79797919 - Heavy snow
77311973 - Gift gems
11799397 - Dark monsters
11111111 or any 8 digits of the same number - Mods reset

Assuming up to 8 digits in any given code, there are still over 65k codes to try. I don't think brute forcing these will work. Again, all credit for this discovery goes to ReaperGuy and Seberoth on the AG forums.

Compass

The basic gist is that you need to set all compass pieces to tier 5 and beat the final one that drops the field marker. Rinse and repeat 11 times for talismans and field markers. The third reward is a bugged field marker that prevents the round from finishing. Just manually end it and start on the next compass set. You'll know you have completed them all when the gems no longer show up in the loading screen.

The compasses themselves correspond to the gem tiers you see on the loading screen of compass levels. Teardrop is tier 1, triangle is tier 2, square is tier 3, a "U" shape is tier 4, and an "X" shape is tier 5. Every time the compass tiers reset, the compass correspondences are set to a random orientation, which always follows a pattern of 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2.

Let me be perfectly clear: The directions on the compass don't matter for any tutorial/description, because where Tier 5 is pointing is random each time you do things such as reload the game, change your skills, or beat a level.

The compass levels, in left-to-right order, are C2, E3, J2, K2, O3, U4, and X7. The easiest level to finish at is E3, with only 24 waves at untraited Looming.

Here is my basic algorithm for setting a compass based upon the gem at the loading screen:
Tier 1 - Turn 4 times. Done.
Tier 2 - Turn 3 times. Recheck.
Tier 3 - Turn 2 times. Recheck.
Tier 4 - Turn 7 times. Recheck.
Tier 5 - Done (duh).

With this algorithm, tier 2 and 4 always become a tier 3 or 5. Tier 3 always becomes a tier 1 or 5.

The rewards for completion of a certain amount of cycles is as follows:
1 - Field D6
3 - Bugged Field Marker (perhaps supposed to be N7?)
5 - Field O4 (Already acquired through normal progression)
7 - Field P6
9 - Field Q7
11 - Field X6
2, 4, 6, 8, 10th times: Talisman fragments of ascending quality

Missing Fields

This list is FAR from complete or entirely accurate. These are just the notes I have from field markers I have acquired or seen from other sources.

A6 - Complete A4 on Glaring
B6 - Complete the achievement "Still Alive B1"
D6, P6, Q7, X6 - See compass explanaition above.
Y4 (->Y5->Y6) - Complete all waves on X5 without charging up the gem.
G4 - Complete the rest of Hex G on Haunted difficulty
L5 - Complete L1, L2, and maybe L4 on Haunted difficulty

• 210 Replies
osmoosys
osmoosys
2 posts
Peasant

ok i understood compass enigma.
thanks for comments and explanations.
very long quest and really very boring. so unfunny !? what was the aim ?
this is the shadow on this almost perfect game ... compass

tcoveney
tcoveney
2 posts
Nomad

if I did not finish the levels for compasses that revealed a field token can I get them another way?

Erile
Erile
488 posts
Chancellor

@tcoveney

According to the posts, you have to finish the level when the gem displays at grade 5. If you can't finish the level I doubt there is a way to get the reward.

thunderrider
thunderrider
641 posts
Peasant

Urgh, boo labyrinth. Make em look like GC0!! Lol. Flame animation from trap FTW.

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

lag from GC0 FTW

fractalman
fractalman
636 posts
Nomad

...when I get to X, I'm backing up my game in triplicate so I can expiriment with "beating x5 in different ways" so that I can clear up the mystery of the X5->y4 interactions.

marqee
marqee
7 posts
Shepherd

With Compass Quest
i got until now :
field N7 and P6 Unlocked
talisman lvl: 34-42-58-65
( got them in growing order maybe farming it you get a lvl 100 )

marqee
marqee
7 posts
Shepherd

done Compass multiple times:
got also Q7 and X6 field unlocked
and another talisman lvl 73
then the loading screen in compass fields disappeared.
No more compass reward doable.

thunderrider
thunderrider
641 posts
Peasant

Jonathen if you need help please state your level, skills, etc...and what do you have trouble with anyway??

Anyway, post in the general thread(which died but...) this is the secrets guide.

gtcink
gtcink
8 posts
Shepherd

Where / how do you enter the codes for the Greytrees? I click on a corner box and it flashes and then what?

fractalman
fractalman
636 posts
Nomad

look at the number pad on the right of your keyboard.

each box corresponds to a number on the keyboard.

bbr
bbr
41 posts
Nomad

B6 - Complete the achievement "Still Alive B1"

I actually got this simply by completing B1 on looming.
No 60 wave nonsense.

Erile
Erile
488 posts
Chancellor

@bbr

As previously stated in this thread, you get B6 by completing B1 on Glaring. It has nothing to do with the achievement for field B1. I just confirmed this myself 10 minutes ago. I completed B1 on looming multiple times and nothing, I completed B1 on Glaring and received B6 as the reward.

Apper88
Apper88
1 posts
Blacksmith

Only L2 on Haunted difficulty is needed to play L5 free.

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

Probably next game in series or steam-exclusive material. Nobody (except devs) knows now.

Showing 106-120 of 210