ForumsNews and FeedbackSuggestion: Opening Poster's Post

6 4501
devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

I have been thinking for a while,the person who has created the thread should have an OP's Post(Opening poster's post).This will give him special authority in his thread only.He:
1.Can delete comments on his thread
2.Will get a text: OP's Post where mod or admin is written on that thread only.
3. He can delete that thread.

Benefits:
1.Helps to distinguish him as the thread maker
2.Less spam

This is a suggestion,I know this is extra work...

• 6 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I don't wholly agree with this, I can certainly see where you're coming from on this, but there are pitfalls to this, such as the OP irresponsibly deleting comments on threads, which will erase instances of bullying, or breaking of rules. I dislike and know it's unfair to generalise, but not everyone should have the privilege, or better put, responsibility to do so. I know this might be useful for cases whereby people bully or troll the OP, but given the small tight knit community, it's easily solved by the proper authorities.

Also, I don't believe that one should have that level of control over a thread, simply by virtue of creating the thread. The more important criterion, probably, would be a decent amount of common sense and a dose of responsibility.

Helps to distinguish him as the thread maker/Will get a text: OP's Post where mod or admin is written on that thread only.

I don't think that's really really important, after all, you'll know who the OP is after reading the first post.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Maybe allow OPs to lock their threads, but they should not be allowed to delete, modify, or unlock it.

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Maybe they could be given title-changing rights, but that would be it. Deleting anything in the forums should be left up to the people who have been granted power to do so.

Maybe allow OPs to lock their threads, but they should not be allowed to delete, modify, or unlock it.

If they can lock it, they should be allowed to unlock it provided that they locked it.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

It's unlikely that a user will gain access to change titles of threads, delete threads or even lock threads. There is to much room for drama and confusion. They can always request a moderator do any of those things.

That being said, editing threads we can all agree should be available in some way.

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

Lets think of a lil scenario... some user start a discussion, another user counteract him, the OP dont likes it and delete it... only one of possible scenarios, they are more, similar to it... and yes, if "OP have delete rights" is an option it will happen.

3. He can delete that thread

Hello spam...
...users can make threads with some kind of insulting content and delete it without punishment from the stuff cuz they havent the thread as proof.
...users, just for fun, open threads and delete it ... just becasue they think its funny... also without punishment, cause no proof.

[quote[Benefits:
1.Helps to distinguish him as the thread maker[/quote]

Is that necessary?

2.Less spam

Imo more, some temporary, will be the result.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

What if someone says something that the poster doesn't like, maybe constructive criticism. Should the OP *original poster* have the power (which is much OP *over powered* in my opinion) to delete at will? I think not.

This could be useful, but if you started it why would you want to delete it? I think having locking power is sufficient.

1.Helps to distinguish him as the thread maker

How would you be able to tell who is changing the thread name or deleting posts? Unless they express it publicly in a post or something it won't distinguish him.

2.Less spam

The only true "spam" in threads are the posts by ad-bots, but if you had the power to control your threads it would not make a difference with other people's threads, therefore not cutting spam in my opinion, but very subjective.

I think there should be a way to have a featured post, as selected by the OP that will appear at the top of every page, regardless of number. (1-billion etc) And if a post is not selected from the thread somewhere the original post would be atop the thread pages. This would honestly help more in those battle threads, being able to display the current battle at the top, but not much else. I don't really know so give me some feedback on the idea.
Showing 1-6 of 6