ForumsGamesDo people still like text based games?

6 2768
FlyingBlueJay
FlyingBlueJay
1 posts
Nomad

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if text based games have a place anywhere anymore? When I was younger I used to play them from time to time and now that I'm older and found some of them again (like Zork and Rockstar) I couldn't help but wonder why these games no longer hold the attention of most people. I mean they are fun and being a book reader, I love reading about what I'm doing so it kind of reminds me of a complex choose your own adventure book, but whenever I talk to friends about it they complain that there aren't enough colors or that graphic based games are simply better.

I may be ranting a bit here, but I just miss the days when story ruled games and not just clicking a button. I do still like the games of today, the Halos, Farcrys, Tomb Raiders, etc, but I just miss a game where graphics weren't so stressed and a game was fun simply because of that world it framed and the stuff you could do in them.

Do any of you still play the old text based games or, if there were more around be interested in playing them?

• 6 Replies
zombiearghh
zombiearghh
1 posts
Shepherd

ZombieMUD - bestest text based game ever!

--Arghh!

trying
trying
467 posts
Bard

I play one called Battlemaster. It's a pretty interesting MMO text based game.

decay33
decay33
15 posts
Peasant

candy box 2

markkrosky
markkrosky
14 posts
Nomad

Have you tried Dwarf Fortress?

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

I like games with a good story and strong universe so for a flash game being "text based" would be ideal. All thought if it's only text like Sakura Spirit where you just press enter the ENTIRE time then no. It is not fun. You can only press enter so many times before getting bored. I would know.

Crackback
Crackback
40 posts
Peasant

There is lot of good typing games like Typing of the dead (There are insults but it s fun game to play)

Showing 1-6 of 6