ForumsGamesDownloading PC Emulators

5 3090
Voyage2
Voyage2
650 posts
Nomad

Is it illegal ? If you download Emulators to your PC and use it, is it illegal ? Because I got Visual Boy Advance [GBA Emulator]. I can't get enough if it was illegal or not.

• 5 Replies
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

As far as I know it isn't illegal until you try to make illegal copies of the games. The emulators themselves are completely legal (at least for older consoles/programs).

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

As the guy stated about me, emulators are legal. Downloading the games that you already own, is legal. If you have not purchased a game but download the game, emulated, that's illegal.

I don't care what you do but I want to make sure everyone is quite clear on this issue. If you Youtube, 90% of it is illegal. The choice is yours.

obesno
obesno
4 posts
Nomad

As the guy stated about me, emulators are legal. Downloading the games that you already own, is legal. If you have not purchased a game but download the game, emulated, that's illegal.

I agree. Remember old times when I used classic GameBoy emulator to emulate Pokemon games And later XBOX or PSX emulator to play Tekken. As far as I know there are already emulators of modern generation consoles.
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

...So you're saying that 90% of what's on youtube is illegal?

Maybe he means any emulator guides on youtube or something like that. The sentence doesn't really make sense otherwise.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Emulators are not illegal, no. You can download any emulator (for example a Xbox 360 emulator) and have it installed on your computer without breaking any laws. However, ISO files (the file containing the information required to be emulated) may or may not be illegal to download. If you, for example, took the contents of a game disk (a disk you bought) and compressed it into a ISO then that's not really illegal, however if you get this ISO file off of a website then it is illegal.

You can copy the contents of a physical disk you own for personal reasons, such as backing up data. But you can't obtain a copy of a game you do not own, nor can you distribute a copy of a game legally.

Showing 1-5 of 5