Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Man sentenced to 18 months in State Prison for peeing on the Alamo

Posted Apr 20, '14 at 12:44am

Fiends

Fiends

114 posts

Link:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/texas/alamo-urinator-sentenced-to-prison-765419

Yeah so.. this isn't a hoax. Someone is actually going to serve 18 months for peeing on a building. And I posted this because, well, no pun intended, but I'm kinda pissed.

There is not an ounce of morality in sentencing someone to over a year in prison for a 20 second urination. I don't care if you pee on Hillary Clinton. This is just downright corrupt. And I'm aware that harsh sentences happen daily, but this one was hard to believe.

I'm usually the diehard patriotic, but this is just downright pathetic.

What do you guys think?

Posted Apr 20, '14 at 12:59am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,634 posts

After looking a bit more into it, it's quite a ridiculous sentence to me as well. Even if this was a historical landmark that signifies soldiers' sacrifices, the boy was caught rather quickly, and the urination could be cleaned up without causing erosion. There are people who have done much more heinous crimes and got lesser sentencing, and comparing the two just isn't right.

Posted Apr 20, '14 at 2:24am

Kennethhartanto

Kennethhartanto

248 posts

pretty obvious that this is overacting on the government part

Posted Apr 20, '14 at 3:02am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,618 posts

Knight

A criminal mischief charge (depends on the damage assessment, not sure how the law folks do it) usually gets the same sentence, there's nothing special about it. Seems a standard criminal mischief case, until it just so happens that it was a historical monument, so it blew up disproportionately in the news.

Criminal mischief is defined as a crime committed when the defendant knowingly, willfully, and maliciously causes damage to any property belonging to someone else. (Generally). Just wondering if one can judge him to have willfully done it, being ''tipsy'' at the time.

I found a site on Texan law regarding criminal mischief, should be useful.

Posted Apr 20, '14 at 5:47am

CherryCoke360

CherryCoke360

415 posts

Didnt ozzy osbourne pee on the Alamo about 30 years ago? some sites say thats an urban legend while others are more convinced that it really did happen.

Posted Apr 21, '14 at 2:48am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,530 posts

Think about it: a 23-year-old got drunk and urinated on what is literally called "The Alamo Shrine" in one of the most jail-happy states in the country in which public intoxication and urination are both Class C misdemeanor offenses, although the latter can be classified as a Class A, making the $4,000 fine and one year in prison appropriate. Of course Texas is going to slam him with jail time, along with the highest possible fine for restitution of a 250-year-old national landmark.

Legally, he can only be sentenced to a maximum of one year in prison. However, we are talking about Texas, a state that has executed 512 people in 40 years.

This is Texas:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Donotmesswithtexas.jpg

Didnt ozzy osbourne pee on the Alamo about 30 years ago? some sites say thats an urban legend while others are more convinced that it really did happen.

According to Daily Mail, Osbourne did the same thing. He was also barred from performing in Texas for an entire decade.

Don't mess with Texas.

Posted Apr 21, '14 at 9:11am

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,331 posts

Knight

http://i.imgur.com/weccSVh.jpg

My cousin and I were banned for 48 hours for pretending to pee on the Alamo.

Posted Apr 21, '14 at 12:44pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,530 posts

My cousin and I were banned for 48 hours for pretending to pee on the Alamo.

For the record, the limestone is 250 years old and can be easily damaged. Urine doesn't just evaporate off surfaces. With all due respect, why the heck did you decide to do that?

Posted Apr 21, '14 at 3:17pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,796 posts

a state that has executed 512 people in 40 years.

Only because they deserved it. In my opinion, murder should always be met with the death sentence. It would be even better if the killer was executed the same way they killed their victims. But that's beside the point.

So, my response to this? Pretty ridiculous. I hardly think they should be focusing on this instead of other matters. Still, it's better than some other countries, where, for example, you could be imprisoned for only including the head of a statue in a photograph. But all in all, I don't see why they put this man in prison for 18 months. It's not like he threw up on the White House, or spit at the Lincoln Memorial.

Posted Apr 21, '14 at 4:29pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,530 posts

It's not like he threw up on the White House, or spit at the Lincoln Memorial.

The Alamo Shrine is just as important to Texas as the Lincoln Memorial is to DC, and urine does not simply evaporate. Like I said before, the Alamo building is made of 250-year-old limestone that is easily damaged, and urine has a lot of stuff in it, including salt (which is corrosive). Plus, that's just disgusting. I fail to see how spitting on a national monument is more insulting than peeing on one.

Reply to Man sentenced to 18 months in State Prison for peeing on the Alamo

You must be logged in to post a reply!