ForumsWEPRMan sentenced to 18 months in State Prison for peeing on the Alamo

34 21743
Fiends
Fiends
114 posts
Peasant

Link:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/texas/alamo-urinator-sentenced-to-prison-765419

Yeah so.. this isn't a hoax. Someone is actually going to serve 18 months for peeing on a building. And I posted this because, well, no pun intended, but I'm kinda pissed.

There is not an ounce of morality in sentencing someone to over a year in prison for a 20 second urination. I don't care if you pee on Hillary Clinton. This is just downright corrupt. And I'm aware that harsh sentences happen daily, but this one was hard to believe.

I'm usually the diehard patriotic, but this is just downright pathetic.

What do you guys think?

• 34 Replies
colinsaul
colinsaul
5 posts
Nomad

Ha Ha Ha
Urinating on the Alamo is just asking for trouble.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Urinating on the Alamo is just asking for trouble.

This doesn't justify the severity of the sentence, though.

I don't know the laws of Texas so maybe it's like nicho said and they're just applying the law as in any other case. If that is so, Texas legislation has a more general problem of being overly severe.

I feel like paying the costs of the cleaning/restoring, plus a fine for urinating in public, should suffice. Sending someone in prison for this is ridiculous; even more when you take into account that, due to several issues, people who have been in prison are more likely to lapse back into crime.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I don't know the laws of Texas so maybe it's like nicho said and they're just applying the law as in any other case. If that is so, Texas legislation has a more general problem of being overly severe.

I think the site I linked earlier, (One of them, I've forgotten which!), shows the laws for all states that concern the matter of criminal mischief. By all standards, Texas' version doles out an average punishment.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I think the site I linked earlier, (One of them, I've forgotten which!), shows the laws for all states that concern the matter of criminal mischief. By all standards, Texas' version doles out an average punishment.

Interesting.. that would mean, based on my previous comment, that not Texas, but the whole of the United States has a problem of being overly severe in such cases.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

To be fair, the high jail terms are implemented for damage that can run into the tens of thousands. I don't think some people can actually afford the fine for that? Also, I think he was given almost the maximum term possible (Perhaps because it was such a high profile icon?). I just doubt that that would be the usual sentence.

colinsaul
colinsaul
5 posts
Nomad

I imagine that the prison sentence is mild compared to what some Texans would like to do to the man who disrespected the Alamo in such a way.

mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

I think his sentence was justified since who the heck would even do something like that? That guy is a stupid moron for disrespecting the Alamo and FYI i live in Texas and Born there so the fool got what he deserved especially if he didnt know Why the Alamo is such an important Landmark

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

this is a case where some idiot did something idiotic and where other idiots reacted on in a idiotic way of giving him a idiotic amount of punishment for it. the main problem here is the cumulative amount of idiocy! welcome to texas...

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

who the heck would even do something like that?

A drunk person, apparently.
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

1)The Texan revolution was over some rules interuced by the mexican to abolish slavery. The Texans didnt wanted to do so, so they fought the Mexicans.

2) You say its the property damage. If i will vandalise your car the sentence will be less harsh. If i will go and graffiti all over a cemetery it will be a fine of an amount of cash + a warning or something. This is over patriotism. Now the question is, maybe he did some other stuffs as well, like ressisting arrest or being drunk in public or so, which made his sentence so harsh. I think that his lawyers try to use the media to make the coourt desicion look stuiped.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

2) You say its the property damage. If i will vandalise your car the sentence will be less harsh. If i will go and graffiti all over a cemetery it will be a fine of an amount of cash + a warning or something. This is over patriotism. Now the question is, maybe he did some other stuffs as well, like ressisting arrest or being drunk in public or so, which made his sentence so harsh. I think that his lawyers try to use the media to make the coourt desicion look stuiped.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the sentencing would be due to damage assessment! In any case, vandalism is also treated as criminal mischief, so if the damage done to the vehicle is the same as it was to the Alamo monument, then the sentence most likely should be the same.
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

Lets summarize this - you better watch were you pee in Texas.
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/jKvbvUDRgEg/maxresdefault.jpg

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Also, I don't own a car, so the sentence is nonexistent.

You do realize he was making an assumption in order to prove a point, right? That sentence is entirely valid for argument's sake.

Also, by definition, there is no such thing as "over patriotism."

wat
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

You say its the property damage...This is over patriotism.

Just wondering, is there any harsher penalty for damaging/vandalizing the Wailing Wall compared to other property?
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

As in, there is no existing dictionary definition of "over-patriotism."

Yes there is. It's called jingoism. Literally.

"extreme patriotism, especially in the form of aggressive or warlike foreign policy."
Showing 16-30 of 34