ForumsGamesGemcraft 2 - How to defeat stages with 50+ waves?

12 4103
MrMiles
MrMiles
6 posts
Blacksmith

Hello,

i'm lvl 78 now, got the glaring difficult, many tomes, fragments and 91 fields explored. all stages were easy, but now i got stuck again.

it's going very well until wave 50 - my gems (most time g7 or g8) will stop hurting enemys and my mana pool goes down very fast.

i think i need bigger gems (500dmg vs. 30k monster life), but i don't know how to get them.

• 12 Replies
thunderrider
thunderrider
641 posts
Peasant

try to get critical hit tome, it helps wonders- it's on R1.

Bad_vader
Bad_vader
4 posts
Nomad

critical hit tome is all you really need at that point. Get it as high as your comfortable with and just start steam rolling through the remaining areas.

MrMiles
MrMiles
6 posts
Blacksmith

did not beat R1 because it has 60 waves - i try to

thx for your help

Bad_vader
Bad_vader
4 posts
Nomad

My advice if your really stuck is to grind a bit on the easier levels starting with the ones with the lowest ones and move along until you get around 5-10 lvl then try R1 without angering any waves.

Hyppy
Hyppy
59 posts
Peasant

Three easy tips you may have missed: Make fewer, larger gems. Use only 2-4 colors, preferably using Red, Yellow, White, and/or Black for your tower gem. Only put points into skills in multiples of three.

Reechi
Reechi
14 posts
Peasant

I'm nowhere near you in the game, yet your numbers seem too low:
I explored 41 levels (replayed none yet), and am already level 56. My usual kill gems by the end are g9-10.

So you're probably not gaining enough mana and xp in battles. I recommend you to replay some levels in looming with enough traits to get at least 3-4x multiplier (you could get more cause you're better equipped than me). It's both good for farming XP to become stronger and to learn how to deal with stronger enemies and more waves.
Some general tips:
- Use summoning a lot, it gives you extra mana (which you can invest into upgrading your gems, and also into further summoning) and XP for better leveling. Be cautious at the beginning, but later you will be safe to anger everything 5-10 times.
- Angering in multiples of 5 is good for creating more beacons - when destroyed they give huge XP. For the same reason never play a game without that beacon trait, you'd lose a great XP source. I find that often the raw XP I gathered from beacons surpasses the XP from giants and swarmlings combined.
- Since you're going to anger a lot, you will see monsters with absurd armor levels. To overcome that, use long lines of purple traps and put your main defences behind that. It is important even if you play more casually, beacuse if you nullified the enemies' armor even lower level gems can help in killing stuff. And generally 2 grade n gems have better DPS than 1 grade n+1.
- Sometimes you will overshoot angering but don't panic. If you've been angering a lot for a while, you've amassed quite some surplus mana and your defense is stronger than it should be normally. So it's a good idea to call 1-2 waves early to recharge spells and shrines, freezing the tough mosters on purple traps while you kill the newcomers for quick easy mana.
You can also freeze more mosters around them and wear them down with frozen corpse explosions too.
- When you get to the final wave don't anger too much, there's nothing to call early if things go wrong. Also make sure you destroy every beacon before killing the last monster so you don't miss out on any XP. If it takes you to banish the last monster a few times so be it.

- Only spend skillpoints on things you're going to use a lot, and spend them in multiples of 3 for best efficiency.

thunderrider
thunderrider
641 posts
Peasant

Beacon huge xp? You are V. 1.06 ATM, even a beacon with E178 HP said it would give like 750 xp when killed.

darkumbra
darkumbra
8 posts
Peasant

Mana farms - that's the answer to most problems.

Find a map with a single entry point where a mana farm is easily built,

Set up a single trap and two amplifiers to start.

Then build a cleanup gem closer to your orb. For the next 20 waves? 1st priority is the farm, next is the clean up gem. Upgrade after you reach the next mana level.

You can add a blue trap ahead of the farm, and a killer gem right after it.

fsjd
fsjd
3 posts
Peasant

whats with the "dump skillpoints in multiples of 3" advice?
why is that better than, say, 2 or 4 or whatever I feel like I can afford to dump?

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

you've got bonuses for every 1 skillpoint and every 3 skillponts.

Cetaphill
Cetaphill
1 posts
Nomad

Each skill has a primary boost as well as a secondary boost. The primary boost increases with each level of the skill, but the secondary boost only increases once every three levels of the skill.

Example: Fusion
-1.5% first grade gem cost every level
-3% gem combination cost every three levels

Getting skill levels in only multiples of three ensures that you get the most out of your skill points.

Reechi
Reechi
14 posts
Peasant

@thunderrider: Nope, I'm using the latest version.
You see the thing about beacons is that their armor/HP values don't correlate with their XP. Their XP value is only affected by how many beacons have been summoned already.
For example if you play with 1 level of beacon storm and summon 5 beacons in the 2nd wave, they will have low XP but brutal stats. However in the 3rd wave your new beacon will have just as low HP/armor as if you haven't created any additional beacons, but it's XP will be as much as the 6th beacon should have. And all your future beacons will have higher XP too...
So if you summon beacons constantly their XP values can raise significantly, escpecially compared to how little effort it takes destroying the weaker ones. In later waves I often find that even 1 new beacon has more XP than the entire wave of monsters after many angering.

Showing 1-12 of 12