Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

High School

Posted Apr 25, '14 at 7:33pm

R2D21999

R2D21999

8,462 posts

So I got my high school schedule for next year and it'll be my first time attending high school. So I just have one question, does anyone have tips for "surviving" high school?

Posted Apr 25, '14 at 7:38pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,239 posts

Don't procrastinate.
Don't worry about what people think about you.

and most importantly, DON"T PROCRASTINATE.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Apr 25, '14 at 7:38pm

Riptizoid101

Riptizoid101

3,356 posts

You seem to be in quite a dilemma. Perhaps you need...

Posted Apr 25, '14 at 8:14pm

69_69_69

69_69_69

110 posts

Don't procrastinate, especially if you take advanced classes. Some teachers give homework in an amount that would make you think that they are the only teacher that you're getting homework from. That times 6 equals death if you try that at the last minute....unless you want to pull an all-nighter like I did when I was new.

Posted Apr 25, '14 at 8:44pm

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

3,997 posts

First off, don't expect anyone to talk to you ever. I went in with a mindset that everyone would be friendly, and that if I initiated a conversation with someone, they too would say something. Well, needless to say I was indeed disappointed. Everyone talks to everyone else, but nobody goes out of their way to talk to you. I know from firsthand experience that this is definitely what happens to everyone in high school.

If you think a girl has a crush on you, she's probably just being friendly. That turned out to be the case with 100% of the girls whom I thought may have potentially liked me a little bit, and is always the case with everyone. High school girls only go for guys who drink, smoke cigarettes, wear black leather jackets, and ride motorcycles. Society hates that kind of behavior. High school girls love it.

Additionally, don't eat lunch at school. Cafeteria food is just hair from a can, and even food brought from home is always terrible. The best thing you can do is wait until dinnertime to eat anything. Even breakfast could make you sluggish. I lost 20 pounds in 3 months near the end of my junior year from eating just one meal a day at dinnertime, and I was already incredibly thin before that. The weight loss had nothing to do with the clinical depression high school caused me.

Lastly, don't use the bathrooms at school. Even in this day and age, with all the technology they have in the world, they can't make a high school bathroom smell nice or not look horrifying. You're better off peeing in a janitor's closet or in the wastebasket in the corner of the room. Nobody will bat an eye if you do that. People don't notice anything you do in high school. Everyone is already invisible to everyone else.

I'm so glad I graduated last year, before the federal government administered the mandatory "row 50 miles upstream by yourself to graduate" exam.

Posted Apr 25, '14 at 9:06pm

69_69_69

69_69_69

110 posts

Very, very true @Terry_The_Disco_King . Even though I'm never really ignored (I just like to avoid other people, who sometimes find a way to get to my table in a distant corner, although this is very rare) most people will just ignore you. Unless you get involved in something, and start talking to people there, nobody will ever really want to know about you. It also helps if you have friends from middle school.

Posted Apr 25, '14 at 9:08pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,156 posts

I'm so glad I graduated last year, before the federal government administered the mandatory "row 50 miles upstream by yourself to graduate" exam.

Is that where they're trying to beef up homework and exam difficulty to try and "compete with other nations" or is that just Indiana?

If you do anything embarrassing, expect the student body to never let you hear the end of it and judge you for it for months.

Posted Apr 25, '14 at 9:34pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,122 posts

Knight

Just study. C'mon, show your books and desk some love.

Posted Apr 25, '14 at 9:37pm

69_69_69

69_69_69

110 posts

I never study, but I always get A's. It depends on what type of student you are. I've met people that can memorize whole pages in ten minutes, while I have to spend two hours on homework each night. I also hate showing desks some love, @nichodemus.

Posted Apr 26, '14 at 12:05am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,676 posts

A few big things that got me through

1) Learn to cheat. The American education system is horrible, so teach yourself useful stuff in your spare time, and cheat your way to glory.

2) Learn the 'palming' technique used by magicians and shoplifters. Goes a long way in your cheating career.

3) If you have the option, pick a seat ideal for your cheating career. Your thought process for picking a seat shouldn't be "who looks most friendly" or some bs like that, but "what seat gives me optimal cheating capabilities". Preference towards the back, down the line of where your teacher sits, so you can hide movements behind students in front of you.

4) If you don't have set seats, study the teachers movement habits, and on test days pick ideal spots based on his movements (what seat is seen least by him/her when walking around, if they do so during tests)

Reply to High School

You must be logged in to post a reply!