Forums

ForumsVideo Games

ghost review: Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeros

Posted Apr 30, '14 at 12:40pm

ghost782

ghost782

44 posts

If you know me then you know i am a huge MGS fan but this, i paid $30 for this and i completed this in 40 minutes and i fell sad... very very sad.

Konami said this is a prologue and this would be short so ok maybe 7-10 hours people said but no.... no no no 40 minutes.

1. Gameplay, gameplay is awesome but that is what pisses me off awesome as usual with stealth the main focus and it is done as the Dev's said it would.

2. Story. I got through this story good but of your a first time player like some of my friends did not quite get it so if you are going to get this (wait for price to $10) read a bit of the story first, anyway the the story sums up pretty good as usual and as usual wacky as hell about nukes and Metal Gears but yeah its good.

3.Graphics. oh my these are one of the best i have ever seen better than Ryse If you can get this for the PS4 but you could just stare at this for years and never see better graphics,

4.Bugs. i had only come across one bug its just some audio glitch but that was just it.

5. Sum Up. Now this is awesome but this short run time i slowed down a bit to explore some of this base and yeah alright so this gets a 7/10 with the price just buy it used or wait so this is good but oh my the time

Posted Apr 30, '14 at 3:01pm

JACKinbigletters

JACKinbigletters

9,565 posts

I agree with your opinion on the price and the gameplay time. Yes there are side missions, yes there are other fun ways to try to get around said missions, yes there is hard mode. But it's just not enough, in my opinion. I know it's just a "teaser" but they just decided to go to the complete opposite end of the time spectrum. But it did what a teaser is supposed to do, get the player pumped for the actual installment and it has succeeded in my opinion, I cannot wait for the actual game to come out.

I think this game is awesome, the graphics, the gameplay (including new mechanics.), the AI, that soundtrack, the story and that set up. All of these things made it a great game in my opinion.

I originally had some wavering feelings on some of the new mechanics; the healing rate and the bullet time dodge, playing the game I see why they put the healing rate, because you need it. Originally if you got hurt you needed to lay low for a while and regain all the health you lost. This could take up to five or ten minutes (unless you had a ration, because nothing make bullet wounds disappear like army rations.) (real world time.) depending on the seriousness of the injuries you sustained. In this time you ran away, hid from or fought against the people shooting at you. It made the player know that head on combat will not work (unless your playing 4) because you will die. In ground zeros they made this even more difficult, the enemies do far more damage to you then ever before and within a few hits your on your knees. This makes the long healing time a drag as if your not careful the enemy will spot you easily and so they replaced it with the CoD style of "wait till the blood falls off of your face". This speeds up the gameplay quite a bit as there are no longer many long rest periods between areas and makes everything smoother. This idea irritated me at first until I played it and then it made sense.

The bullet time thing got to me as well as I have many fond memories of Max Payne jumping around the place like a lunatic and I first thought that ground zeros was destined to be the same. Thankfully I was proven wrong, slightly. Bullet time activates when an enemy sees you, no matter how far away they are. This can be used to quickly and efficiently clear rooms of enemies with ease, making you feel like awesome, or to just a full all out panic as you try to see the guy who spotted you and you empty full clips into him. This, in close combat, makes the game easy, even with the health system mentioned above. But playing without it leads to a drastic change in the difficulty curve, again because of the health system. I have plenty of stories about each.

The AI are wonderfully alert and are some of the best I've seen in a long time. Looking into an area of darkness from stark sunlight is difficult in real life and the AI emulates this very well, peering into the gloom for a few moments before they move again. As does the distance they can see depends on the surrounding light (day/night/dawn/dusk) and terrain. They work well in groups, some giving others covering fire as they move to better positions to shoot you from and when out numbered they tactically retreat looking for support. They are clever and I like it.

The story has stepped it up immensely. The sheer grittiness and willingness to delve into said grittiness makes the game jaw-droppingly surreal at times. If you have watched the "Red" version of the video for ground zeros or even played it yourself you'll know what I'm on about. There are tapes that can be found throughout the area and what is on some of those tapes is shockingly brutal. I won't go into anymore detail on This subject as it is very mature.

I advise this game Not to be played by first time players of the series, it's not worth it unless your invested in the franchise already, or the price drops, whatever comes first.

But of course this is all just my opinion and you may not share the same opinion as me and that's fine.

Posted May 1, '14 at 10:43am

ghost782

ghost782

44 posts

This really should of been a Demo right?

Posted May 1, '14 at 2:13pm

JACKinbigletters

JACKinbigletters

9,565 posts

Or even if they let it out as a trailer, like they have in the past, and just let us watch it. However I believe they made the right decision making it a game in itself (Seeing as I got great enjoyment out of playing it.), nonetheless they got the pricing completely wrong, it's jut too **** high for what they gave us. 10-15 or even 20(at a stretch) would have been a more suitable opening price.

Also what's your opinion on the new voice actor for Snake?

Posted May 1, '14 at 3:03pm

ghost782

ghost782

44 posts

alright

Posted May 1, '14 at 3:24pm

JACKinbigletters

JACKinbigletters

9,565 posts

Mmmmmh, most people think it's an outrage, but it makes sense to have a new voice seeing as Snake has matured.

Reply to ghost review: Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeros

You must be logged in to post a reply!