ForumsWEPRThe Donald Sterling scandal

4 4492
Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

I'm sure most people have heard of this already. To sum it, the owner of the NBA team, the Clippers, said a few statements in private to his girlfriend. His girlfriend recorded these, and made them public. The statements were a little racist, and the NBA proceeded to ban him, along with a 2.5 million fine. Here's an article
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/29/us/clippers-sterling-scandal/

Any thoughts on this?

• 4 Replies
Shenko
Shenko
1,059 posts
Treasurer

I do find the punishment a bit harsh. Although I strongly disagree with what he said I dont think that it would be enough to force him to not his team anymore. Maybe suspend his team for a year to not go to the playoffs and get the last seeded draft pick no matter how well they do. It would be a good punishment as everyone would ask why the clippers wouldnt be able to advance into post season and it would expose what a bad man he is but it would still let him have his team for next years and people can keep an eye on him to see if he has learned his lesson.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Maybe suspend his team for a year to not go to the playoffs and get the last seeded draft pick no matter how well they do.

Are you serious? You think the entire team should be punished because the team owner is racist? Huh? That's insanity.

I think he should have just lost the team. Fining someone for a statement, no matter how atrocious, is getting into territory I don't think should be ventured into.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Fining someone for a statement, no matter how atrocious, is getting into territory I don't think should be ventured into.

I'm not a fan of it either. I think they're trying to make up the losses from reduced ticket sales and sponsorships.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

It would be a good punishment as everyone would ask why the clippers wouldnt be able to advance into post season and it would expose what a bad man he is but it would still let him have his team for next years and people can keep an eye on him to see if he has learned his lesson.

As Kasic mentioned, penalising the whole team for the statement of their trainer makes no sense. I think just kicking him out and looking for a new patron is penalising Sterling stronger than any monetary fine and gives the right statement about the reasons for this: "We don't want him as owner anymore because he is racist and this is against our ideals".
Showing 1-4 of 4