ForumsGamesGemcraft 2 Mana shards

6 4066
Zwolin
Zwolin
17 posts
Nomad

Hey, does anyone know how exactly do they work? It seems as though If I put mana into it by dropping gembombs at some point the mana becomes

• 6 Replies
ThomasSpeedrunner
ThomasSpeedrunner
155 posts
Nomad

They have mana by default, but you can increase the amount by dropping gem bombs on the spark before the actual shard appears. Actually harvesting the mana works the same way it always has: place tower near it, put gem in tower, set gem priority to Structure for best results, watch mana come to you.

However, corrupted mana shards are a different story. In order to have an effective flow of mana from these inexhaustible shards, you must have at least one amplifier supporting the harvesting gems, because corrupted mana shards permanently weaken gems that fire upon it.

I think that's enough explanation on mana shards for now.

limeox
limeox
11 posts
Blacksmith

It seems as though If I put mana into it by dropping gembombs at some point the mana becomes
... negative? Seems like you forgot to finish that sentence, but I suppose that's what you meant.
Yes, mana shards can spawn with negative mana stored. That's a bug that stems from how numbers are represented in computers. Basically, the possible numbers are limited (it goes from some -x to +x), and if a number becoms too big, it starts at -x again.
To put it very simply, there are types where this can happen and where it can't. Mana shards are the only object that use such a "wrong" type, which is probably an oversight and should be easily fixable by just changing the type, seeing as it already shows the unbugged value on the spark itself.
Zwolin
Zwolin
17 posts
Nomad

Oh, sorry, yes. It was late at night.

Well, than that is one more bug to fix....
At mana pool lvl 50ish or more witch 9 orblets and maxed out skills we could finally beat the endurance... maybe :P

Why?

Imagine we have grade X gem and pretty as much mana stored ready for the upgrade (whatever way you do it, either by pressing U or "smart combining&quot we drop a gem worth of all our mana onto the spark, it gives us
1.05x(1+pool-lvl*0.04)x1.45 mana to harvest (+ whatever was at the beginning, which is negligible either way)
at pool lvl 50 that is roughly 4 times mana multiplication

I do not know what is the maximum of mana pool you ever gotten, so I can not really judge on how many grades you could go up by simply doing this.

mana pool lvl needed for bringing your gem n grades higher (assuming you put the same mana worth of gems onto the spark) follows the formula

[(2^n-1)/(1.05*1.45)-1]*25
so it goes up pretty fast
+2 grades = 24.26 (25)
+3 grades = 89.94 (90)
+4 grades = 221.31 (222)
I don't know if there is a point of higher calculations, or maybe I'm just a newbie with lvl 1400 and haven't tried black mana harvesting :P

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

You have to harvest mana you've got in mana shard, it doesn't give you half of its mana value if it doesn't have place to spawn anymore.

Zwolin
Zwolin
17 posts
Nomad

Demolish one of the towers?

My killing gems, right now - and I am not a pro yet, g45 or so - deal more dmg/min than they cost, so I would say harvesting e35 mana shouldn't be a problem, especially with beam (since you get 1 shot per frame, beam doesn't have that limitation)

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

They don't because when we talk about harvesting from mana shards, multiple damage doesn't help. Only pure damage is counted.

Showing 1-6 of 6