ForumsGamesGC CS : Chain Hit funtion?

13 3191
player_m
player_m
93 posts
Scribe

How do it works? What the number means? Tiles? Monsters? What is the big secret of this?

• 13 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
2,914 posts
Duke

Chain hit can damage more than one monster with a single shot if they're close together. I presume the number you refer to is the chain hit length. It's the maximum distance (in tile units) that the shot can reach to the next nearest monster.

And could we please have questions like this posted in the big threads. There are too many little ones as it is.

Zwolin
Zwolin
20 posts
Shepherd

Monsters.
It works like this:
Gem sends a projectile (attacks)
the projectile hits the target, applies dmg, all specials.
(It seems so form my experience that It does not matter if target dies or not, the projectile (if it has "chain Hit component) "seeks" another closest target and travels toward it, hits, and the entire process starts over (yes, specials are applied to all monsters hit) and does is as many times as "chain length" is (not sure bout .something , but it does not matter for higher grade gems anyway)
There are certain limitations :
- Projectile can not "bounce" - eg can not hit a target, hit another one and than come back (each monster can be hit only once)
- There is a limit to the distance between the targets ( it seems to be 1 tile for tower attacks and much less for traps)
there has to be some testing done ( I can do it myself in 2 weeks or so ) by chaining slowing gems, trapping huge amount of monsters in one line and, using a massive chain hit gem with some sort of marker ( poision, or just enough dmg) and seeing how far can the bolts actually travel from the original hitting point.
Also It is unknown ( at least it is to me ) Whether dmg roll happens each time or initial roll applies to all hits. also I do not know if % based multi-dmg is calculated each time.

Zwolin
Zwolin
20 posts
Shepherd

Awesome, forum cuts parts of my posts...

player_m
player_m
93 posts
Scribe

There is one conclusion?

psorek
psorek
453 posts
Scribe

chain can travel no more than one tile from the first monster hit or something close to it - for tower shots. For traps monster has to be on the same tile on which the trap is.

Zwolin
Zwolin
20 posts
Shepherd

Hah, thanks.

I will not beat on it, but it seems towershots can travel a little further. maybe 2-3 tiles.
I had once 7k monsters in a long line and wanted get rid of them. put my chainhit gem in and decently long line was getting damaged each second...

ThomasSpeedrunner
ThomasSpeedrunner
162 posts
Peasant

;__;

Are we seriously back to this again? DIDN'T I CLEAR THIS UP ALREADY?

I won't link the post where I have already cleared this up since a lot of you already saw it, most likely. To sum up what the post was saying, chain hit works no different than in Labyrinth. Stop telling me it works differently; it doesn't. Like, really, take a look at the length. Notice how it's always at least 1? Notice how there's always a chance for a chain hit gem to hit more than 1 target in Labyrinth?

If there's still argument on it after this, I'm going to simply allow this to go on with no end.

pewpewsword12
pewpewsword12
26 posts
Farmer

To sum up what the post was saying, chain hit works no different than in Labyrinth. Stop telling me it works differently; it doesn't. Like, really, take a look at the length. Notice how it's always at least 1? Notice how there's always a chance for a chain hit gem to hit more than 1 target in Labyrinth?

No there is a big difference. Labyrinth had no limit to how far it can chain to the next monster. This game clearly does.

In this game 6.92 doesn't mean 6 guaranteed monsters will get it. if a monster is too far away. it will not chain. In labyrinth it chains ridiculously to the edges of the map. even trap chains could go long distances.

ThomasSpeedrunner
ThomasSpeedrunner
162 posts
Peasant

And I would assume that also means chain hit only ever hits 2 monsters maximum at once in this game? Nice try.

*goes into lurking because nobody cares*

pewpewsword12
pewpewsword12
26 posts
Farmer

no

GCL
100% chance to hit 7 monsters and 42% chance to hit an 8th.

G:CS
7.41 Chain Length. can hit up to 7 monsters with a 41% chance to hit an 8th. (This part is the same.) However, will not hit monsters out of the chains range. (This part is different, it somewhat helped in decreasing chain hit gem's power from the last game, where you can see the chain literally make a green wire along the pathway up to where the monsters spawn)

It is possible that chain length represents a different set of length. (because it doesn't mean tiles and it for sure isn't on the same scale as gem range)

In this game, chain doesn't go that far. It will hit monster bunches nicely, not monster A and distant monster B.

ThomasSpeedrunner
ThomasSpeedrunner
162 posts
Peasant

...Oh, I get it now. So it essentially fixes a problem with Labyrinth's simplistic method of chain hit. Okay...

...but now we're presented with another question: What exactly is the "range" of the chain hit?

player_m
player_m
93 posts
Scribe

@pewpewsword12
hmm it's sound the most logic comment

player_m
player_m
93 posts
Scribe

Now this post can be closed, the conclusion was given by: @pewpewsword12

Showing 1-13 of 13