ForumsWEPRTHE GREAT DEBATES! (Rd. 6 Results)

224 165934
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Some of you may remember The Great Debates thread from years past. Some thought it was fun, and some thought it was just too heavy.

So I thought I'd bring things back, but with a twist! The basic idea is still the same: two users will debate on a topic. The difference is that you won't get to pick the topic or which side you'll be arguing for.

Oh, and I almost forgot - the topics are going to be somewhat ... silly But that doesn't mean your argument has to be silly. In fact, if you can defend your silly point in a serious way, you might just earn yourself a merit! So it's not about winners or losers, it's about whether you can argue for, well, just about anything!

RULES:

- I will provide three possible topics for debate. If you'd like to participate, then you can SIGN-UP HERE in the Art, Music, and Writing forum: click here

- Once 6 people (at least for now) have signed up for the current three topics, the signup thread will close and the debates will begin

- Assignments will be given on this thread (who will be debating for which topic and what side).
**NOTE** You are signing up to play. Which topic you get and what side you'll be arguing for will be decided randomly. So be prepared!

- You will only have 1 post in which to give your argument, so make it count! Keep in mind that your argument should stand on its own. So don't quote your opponent and just shoot down their arguments. But you should also anticipate potential objections and try to respond to them.

- Merit-earners will present well-reasoned and genuine arguments in favour of their position - even in the face of some pretty silly topics. What that means is that, if users on opposite sides each give great arguments, they would both earn merits!

- A loosely enforced time limit (which has yet to be officially established) will be in place. Once that time limit is reached, the next round will begin.

Good luck! And let the return of The Great Debates begin!

• 224 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

CURRENT TOPICS:

1) Which is more valuable: butterflies or moths?

2) Is it better to believe in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?

3) If a car explodes in the middle of a parking lot with no one around, does it make a sound?

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Ignore this entirely.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I believe butterflies are far more important then moths, in a monetary sense, because they are far more beautiful then dreary old moths.

When I was 6 yo, I saw a moth the size of my two hands together.
My uncle tried to catch it because he said he never saw one that big in his lifetime. Unfortunately for my uncle and fortunately for the moth, it got away.
Darktroop07
Darktroop07
3,592 posts
Shepherd

If a car explodes in the middle of a parking lot with no one around, does it make a sound?
Depends how big the explosion is, but oh well if it explodes why stick around? Run!
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Here are the assignments for Round 1:

@pangtongshu - An exploding car with no one around to hear it *does* make a sound
@JACKinbigletters - Moths are more valuable than butterflies
@Snag618 - Butterflies are more valuable than moths
@MoonFairy - It's better to believe in the Tooth Fairy than Santa Claus
@Riptizoid101 - An exploding car with no one around to hear it does *not* make a sound
@Salvidian - It's better to believe in Santa Claus than the Tooth Fairy

Remember - you only get 1 post, so make it count!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

BLEARGH I missed the signups for Round 1.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Wait, I got a question. If Person A creates an argument for one side, and Person B creates an argument at a later date, can Person B quote from Person A and refute his arguments? If so, doesn't that give the person who posts at a later date an advantage? Even if not directly quoting, what if Person B indirectly addresses the problems that Person A puts forward, and, with only 1 post, does Person A not have a chance to compose a counterargument for Person B?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

That's an excellent question, Rip. Part of presenting a good argument is to anticipate objections and respond to them. But it's not really about responding to your opponent, as both sides might win if they both give great arguments. So don't worry so much about being the first to post, just get a good argument together

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Hahahahaha I was wondering if any of ye had the same thought process as me.

Snag618
Snag618
6,704 posts
Blacksmith

I have a quick question. How would you define valuable in my topic? Or is that for me to decide?

red303
red303
7,571 posts
Shepherd

Can I sign up for round 2?

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Moe you made me sad. I wanted to join. =(

Can I sign up for the new round?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Any general ideas for when the time limit is? Rip and I have a plan to make the debate as equal for each other as possible

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I have a quick question. How would you define valuable in my topic? Or is that for me to decide?

That's the serious part of the question, and up to you to decide. In fact, all of these questions have a similar aspect to them.

Can I sign up for round 2?

The signup thread is in the AMW section. Mino - you have first dibs for round 2 since you signed up, but were a little late. The thread is locked right now so I don't get confused, but just sign up there once it opens!

Any general ideas for when the time limit is?

Not really, though if it drags on for a week, I'll probably just move on. Better to just post your argument as if you were the only one posting on it. Remember - both sides can earn a merit for their argument!

** Note: I've just edited the rules to discourage users from quoting their opponent's argument.

Kennethhartanto
Kennethhartanto
241 posts
Constable

So Moe, basically you have to anticipate every possible counterattacks in this debate with only one argument?

Showing 1-15 of 224