Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Christian Movies

Posted May 2, '14 at 3:18am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

As many people are already aware, a movie called God's Not Dead came out in movie theaters. It's about a college student who gets put into a philosophy class where the atheist professor demands that all of his students write that God is dead. It culminates in a debate between the student and the professor, in which the student wins and successfully defends God. The movie grossed around 53 million in the box office on a 2 million dollar budget and was thus quite successful.

When I first heard about the movie I rolled my eyes. I haven't seen the movie myself (although I sort of want to) but from the trailer the characters appear quite stereotypical and the arguments could have been pulled straight from the Theism vs Atheism thread here on ArmorGames for their originality. They even bring in people from Duck Dynasty in the movie as a minor role it seems. The atheist professor especially plays exactly to a caricature of a "militant atheist" and the exact plot is a little ... disturbing. I'll link to the wiki that gives a full synopsis here. It strikes me as revenge-y and angry towards atheists and comes across like a huge pat on the back to Christians.

Now there's another movie coming out called A Matter of Faith which is about a college student (female this time) who goes into a biology course, where the teacher is *GASP* an "Evolutionist." Following the exact same plot line as in God's Not Dead, the atheist/non-Christian teacher engages in a public debate with a Christian defending Creationism/God after protesting that Creationism is not even mentioned as a valid alternative theory in the course. The biology professor presumably "loses" due to the superiority of the Christian's arguments (in this case, the girl's father).

Is this just trying to interest Christians? Or is it intended to be persuasive and to make a point? I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks about these. Are there any other movies that have been made in recent years that follow this same plot device, or is this a new trend?

Also...EDIT! YAY.

last edited May 02 2014 03:29 am by Kasic

Posted May 2, '14 at 3:49am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,528 posts

From watching the trailer of God's Not Dead..

1) Christian propaganda: the movie

2) Atheists are mean/evil people that don't actually not believe in god, but secretly just hate him: The movie

3) Strawman: The movie

4) "Science supports the existence of god..."
     a) muh sides
     b) the fact that the professor could lose the debate after these words were uttered, means said professor should lose his job.

5) the dramatic scene where the woman admits she believes in a deity. I feel like, in the real world, with real people, and real atheists, the real response by everyone would have been "oh ok that's cool" or something along those lines.

Posted May 2, '14 at 7:12am

Kennethhartanto

Kennethhartanto

235 posts

Here's my criticism about the movie God's not dead.

1. unrealistic plot. first, A Teacher of any kind, even a professor can't just force someone to change anyone beliefs. it's not even allowed in the first place. to me this is equivalent as to forcing someone to have sex just to have the scholar's diploma. second, in 3 sections of debates, if you won 2 times, you basically won the whole debate. in this film however, the one who won only once wins the whole debate, which i question as to how does this happen? third, The professor is clearly not professional, as he let his feelings get in the way of his job. he should not get to teach in the first place
2. Science? what science? religion are faith based, not science based. they are 2 things that are akin to the dissimilarities of the sky and the earth.
3. Evangelical in every way. this movie is going to have a lot of problems with non-believers

The good sides of this one is that it conveys a very powerful message, has a good insight, good acting, and strengthens the faith of fellow Christians. But, an evangelical movie is just bad, because this is spreading religion to non-believers, which is like spitting to the face of inter-religion tolerance.

About the matter of faith, it is a pure evangelical movie and attacking the rationalism which is needed to attend school. evolution IS the cause of diversity of life, not creationism.

Posted May 2, '14 at 9:02am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,005 posts

Knight

All I know is, there are more and more of us (atheists/agnostics/non-religious, everything in between, etc) day by day. Comes with the whole ''get-educated'' package deal.

And that keeps me contented. I'm pretty sure many of the movie goers will be non-religious people going just to get a laugh.

Posted May 2, '14 at 9:13am

Kennethhartanto

Kennethhartanto

235 posts

just for the sake of the argument, i am religious, so i'm not part of the "us". i just can't accept films that glorify some religion and attempt to make others that watch it turn over to the other "side", even if it is my mine, because that spit on the face of tolerance and inter religion acceptance.

Posted May 2, '14 at 10:11am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,005 posts

Knight

I bracketed who the ''us'' refers to, jic.

Posted May 2, '14 at 10:37am

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,210 posts

Sounds like something right out of a chick tract.

In other words, despicable. I find his ideas about easy evangelicalism ridiculous.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted May 2, '14 at 11:08am

09philj

09philj

1,118 posts

For the films you mention: Eyes roll x999.

I find such propaganda... depressing.

Posted May 2, '14 at 11:53am

SSTG

SSTG

10,985 posts

Knight

I find such propaganda... depressing.

It's more than depressing, it's dangerous.
When some lunatics tries to force their twisted beliefs by manipulating naive people, it's plain criminal! >:O

Posted May 2, '14 at 6:55pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

It'll be hilarious when droves of people will try "Why do you hate God" in debates, and be shocked when it's met with "Why do you hate Vishnu, Zeus, Odin, etc."

Reply to Christian Movies

You must be logged in to post a reply!