Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Should the government regulate media for gender stereotypes?

Posted May 3, '14 at 4:12pm

69_69_69

69_69_69

151 posts

Many people might say yes to this question, but I think that the answer would be no. It would cost too much money, and lots of revenue would be lost, if everything exploiting the bodies of women were lost. It would also be a loss to television and movies, because people are attracted to that one show or movie that shows a woman putting on lots of make-up and swerving.

last edited May 03 2014 04:58 pm by 69_69_69

Posted May 3, '14 at 4:40pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,517 posts

The two common "gender stereotypes" that I think of are "Men are tall and muscular" and "Women are trim and shapely." This is advertisement material and it's everywhere. So...you want to know if we believe the government should have access to the power to limit that form of advertisement because it feeds on those forms of stereotypes?

And you're saying "no" because it makes money?

Posted May 3, '14 at 4:48pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

Who would have ever guessed that feminism and ideological totalitarian dictatorships have things in common?

Posted May 3, '14 at 5:12pm

SSTG

SSTG

12,359 posts

Knight

Many people might say yes to this question, but I think that the answer would be no. It would cost too much money, and lots of revenue would be lost, if everything exploiting the bodies of women were lost. It would also be a loss to television and movies, because people are attracted to that one show or movie that shows a woman putting on lots of make-up and swerving.

American networks are already constipated as it is without adding more censorship.
For example, the show Bitten, Canadian edition keeps showing Laura Vandervoort walking naked while the puritan American networks keep editing out the best part!
I wish I still lived in Canada or closer to the border so I could get Canadian TV! >:O

Posted May 3, '14 at 6:21pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,003 posts

Should the government regulate media...

No.

Posted May 3, '14 at 9:45pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,583 posts

Knight

Nah, but they do need to step up on regulating discrimination at the workplace perhaps!

Posted May 3, '14 at 10:19pm

abt79

abt79

61 posts

The government should not regulate media.

Posted May 5, '14 at 8:57am

Kennethhartanto

Kennethhartanto

248 posts

i would say yes to this.

Posted May 5, '14 at 9:13pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,003 posts

i would say yes to this.

Why?

Posted May 6, '14 at 7:48am

Kennethhartanto

Kennethhartanto

248 posts

Why?

Asking out of sheer curiosity, Pang? i would like to hear your argument about why shouldn't the government regulate media and in an attempt to lure you out, i said yes. But, having said that, I had to provide reasons right? because i can't run away from this, let me try.

I think that the government should have some power to regulate the media for gender stereotypes, because if they do have some power, they can do some censorship to elimenate TV shows not suitable for children. If Government can't regulate the media, then the cencorship would be gone, leaving some "nasty" TV shows not-otherwise-specified for children

Reply to Should the government regulate media for gender stereotypes?

You must be logged in to post a reply!