ForumsWEPRHexakosioihexekontahexaphobia

12 5871
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia is the fear and superstition of the number 666 which is supposedly linked to Satan and Doomsday. Is your standing "It couldn't hurt to avoid this number" or "That's ridiculous, It's just a number"?

• 12 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

If I had a fear of any numbers, I couldn't be an accountant. So the latter.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Not being religious or superstitious, it does not matter to me. I will remark to myself about various numbers if they have patterns or significance in other contexts, but I won't place any meaning in them.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

You don't listen to Iron Maiden, do you? ^^

My stand is, don't rub it into the face of superstitious people (basic rules of respect for others), but personally I have nothing for or against this number. If it's sung in the refrain of one of my favourite song, I'll gladly sing along.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

There should be no fear of 666 because of it's satanic connotations, as the actual number is 616. Also, it's just superstition.

DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

If 666 had a knife and was running after me, maybe I would have a reason to fear it, but all it does is sit on paper without doing a thing. I would have a greater reason to fear wind-up chattering teeth. They could bite me and it would hurt for half a second, which is more than a silly number could do.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

The Book of Revelation describes the mark of the beast which will be placed upon the hand (or head, can't remember) of his subjects. The beast is considered to be Satan and the number is a strong symbol of him.

I don't know if it specifically mentioned 666/616 though.

Fun Fact: The number of the mainstream Marvel Universe is Earth-616

~~~Darth Caedus

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The number is mentioned in Revelation 13:18. Different versions of the bible used different numbers, with 666 believed to be the original. However in 2005 we found an even earlier copy which used 616 suggesting that was the original number used.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

My old house phone number started with 666. I see no problem with it. My mom is extremely religious, and even she had no problem with it. It is just a number on its own, it isn't unless people starting doing things with it does it become a problem.

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

It could be symbolic of something, but I still do not think that should bring fear of a number. If you want to fear it, then fear the thing 666 resembles or is a sign of, not the actual number itself. As it is just a number.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Posted May 11, '14 at 3:42am

themastaplaya
496 posts
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia is the fear and superstition of the number 666 which is supposedly linked to Satan and Doomsday. Is your standing "It couldn't hurt to avoid this number" or "That's ridiculous, It's just a number"?

Well, it should be feared though.

BTW, Sonic '06 and Hotel 626 has a reference to the number. ( Sonic '06 sucks though and Hotel 626 has some jumpscares that made me have nightmares.)
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

( Sonic '06 sucks though

so...

Hotel 626 has some jumpscares that made me have nightmares.)

like most horror games.

this isnt really a good example. those references exist BECAUSE of religious views and superstitions and not because the number itself is dangerous.
Showing 1-12 of 12