Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Scottish Independence

Posted May 15, '14 at 10:52am

09philj

09philj

2,415 posts

How do you know that history won't repeat itself? maybe this is just the "calm before the storm", history is heck full of bloody revolutions and bloody Independence attempts that most of them start peacefully. maybe the Brits don't make this much a big deal because they thought that Scottlands won't sever their bond with the British which i thought is because the majority didn't want independency, but once they thought otherwise, i imagine a supression by the central government,

Because we live in a highly economically and politically developed country, and everyone knows that violence won't help anyone, as it just prejudices people against the cause you are being violent for.

If Scotland were to become independent the British would no longer have such access.

Westminster disagrees there.

Posted May 15, '14 at 10:53am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,577 posts

Knight

Because the British government has long acquiesced to the Scots taking a referendum on whether there should be a referendum by the end of 2014, which reflects a largely tolerant attitude towards independence. Labour seems to want to keep the Union together, as do most Scots, but I think that the British are calm and sober enough not to go the route of ''bloody revolution'' or ''suppression by the central government'' (which in itself has seemed to give tacit permission to the referendum).

Posted May 15, '14 at 2:08pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

3,315 posts

A hilarious (in my opinion) so-called reason for independence is that Scots don't get an equal share of their pensions/social security benefits. The reason for this is that they don't live as long as other Brits. And the reason for that? Alcoholism!
So there's a motivation to pass the referendum so that Scots won't be paying for other Brits retirement. Of course, this is a terrible reason for a 'yes' vote (if you want your full pension, then live a healthier lifestyle!) but it's one that I've seen crop up in several newspapers.

Posted May 16, '14 at 7:45am

Kennethhartanto

Kennethhartanto

248 posts

Because the British government has long acquiesced to the Scots taking a referendum on whether there should be a referendum by the end of 2014, which reflects a largely tolerant attitude towards independence. Labour seems to want to keep the Union together, as do most Scots, but I think that the British are calm and sober enough not to go the route of ''bloody revolution'' or ''suppression by the central government'' (which in itself has seemed to give tacit permission to the referendum).

Wait a minute, did you just imply that the Brits will literally accept Scotland's independence without a fight? i haven't seen this in the history books, there has never been any peaceful accession from a central government, usually you have to fight for it.

Posted May 16, '14 at 8:19am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,577 posts

Knight

Wait a minute, did you just imply that the Brits will literally accept Scotland's independence without a fight? i haven't seen this in the history books, there has never been any peaceful accession from a central government, usually you have to fight for it.

Yes we are saying that, the British government seems resigned to the fact that if the Scots want independence, they will grant it, but on the condition that the stuff is sorted out. There's no indication of a deep sated, simmering, festering feeling that would broil out into outright violence. The central government was the one that authorised and negotiated with the Scottish government over the referendum, with the tentative future referendum receiving Royal Assent soon after.

In any case, I'm not remotely worried, it doesn't seem like the independence movement has enough support, and whatever they have seems half-hearted.

Posted May 17, '14 at 2:46pm

ghost72807

ghost72807

20 posts

Ok people... do you really think our country and support itself... do you really think we can. no we cant and we will not.

No 18/9/14

Posted May 18, '14 at 12:49am

Kennethhartanto

Kennethhartanto

248 posts

Yes we are saying that, the British government seems resigned to the fact that if the Scots want independence, they will grant it, but on the condition that the stuff is sorted out. There's no indication of a deep sated, simmering, festering feeling that would broil out into outright violence. The central government was the one that authorised and negotiated with the Scottish government over the referendum, with the tentative future referendum receiving Royal Assent soon after.

if you ARE correct, then this would be the first ever peaceful accession by the central government. However, i think even if the Brits don't make it much of a big deal, you should at least prepare some kind of security force, because if the Brits ever changed their mind, they could easily overrun the country due to their strong army

Posted May 18, '14 at 1:12am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,577 posts

Knight

if you ARE correct, then this would be the first ever peaceful accession by the central government. However, i think even if the Brits don't make it much of a big deal, you should at least prepare some kind of security force, because if the Brits ever changed their mind, they could easily overrun the country due to their strong army

As it goes, the Scots and the rest of the Union are trying to ensure the new country if formed, has an adequate defense system, not to defend against Britain, but to defend Scotland from external/domestic threats against its integrity. For instance, they're mooting the idea of sharing M16 intelligence resources due to Scotland not possessing much of an intelligence defense.

last edited May 18 2014 01:13 am by nichodemus

Posted May 18, '14 at 5:39am

09philj

09philj

2,415 posts

if the Brits ever changed their mind, they could easily overrun the country due to their strong army

You're kidding right? That would be illegal, and a waste of time as our army is essentially worthless due to cuts, and couldn't conquer squat. Scotland and England are essentially on good terms (especially in the border area), and I can confidently promise that we won't go to war.

Posted May 18, '14 at 6:05am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,577 posts

Knight

Just wondering, I've never really read much about it, but will Scotland retain the monarch as a head of state in the unlikely situation it becomes independent?

Reply to Scottish Independence

You must be logged in to post a reply!