ForumsWEPRScottish Independence

19 12820
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

In September, people in Scotland will vote in a referendum that will decide whether Scotland will remain part of the UK. At the moment, it looks like the vote could go either way, but I sincerely hope that they vote in favour of remaining in the UK. Firstly, they haven't properly planned how an independent Scotland would work in real life. (No detailed political, foreign, or economic policies have been written) Secondly, it would damage the economy, which is still screwed up from 2008. Thirdly, it would mean that I would never live to see another Labour government. (Slightly selfish, but the other main parties make me homicidally angry)

I also somewhat disagree with referendums in principle, as it is a bit of a cop out from politicians who we chose to make such decisions for us, and puts the future in the hands of people who may well not fully understand the issues and/or are idiots.

Thoughts?

• 19 Replies
Kennethhartanto
Kennethhartanto
241 posts
Constable

Yes we are saying that, the British government seems resigned to the fact that if the Scots want independence, they will grant it, but on the condition that the stuff is sorted out. There's no indication of a deep sated, simmering, festering feeling that would broil out into outright violence. The central government was the one that authorised and negotiated with the Scottish government over the referendum, with the tentative future referendum receiving Royal Assent soon after.

if you ARE correct, then this would be the first ever peaceful accession by the central government. However, i think even if the Brits don't make it much of a big deal, you should at least prepare some kind of security force, because if the Brits ever changed their mind, they could easily overrun the country due to their strong army
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

if you ARE correct, then this would be the first ever peaceful accession by the central government. However, i think even if the Brits don't make it much of a big deal, you should at least prepare some kind of security force, because if the Brits ever changed their mind, they could easily overrun the country due to their strong army

As it goes, the Scots and the rest of the Union are trying to ensure the new country if formed, has an adequate defense system, not to defend against Britain, but to defend Scotland from external/domestic threats against its integrity. For instance, they're mooting the idea of sharing M16 intelligence resources due to Scotland not possessing much of an intelligence defense.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

if the Brits ever changed their mind, they could easily overrun the country due to their strong army

You're kidding right? That would be illegal, and a waste of time as our army is essentially worthless due to cuts, and couldn't conquer squat. Scotland and England are essentially on good terms (especially in the border area), and I can confidently promise that we won't go to war.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Just wondering, I've never really read much about it, but will Scotland retain the monarch as a head of state in the unlikely situation it becomes independent?

Showing 16-19 of 19