ForumsGamesAre horror games dead?

13 4667
ghost72807
ghost72807
20 posts
Nomad

Hi people, this is something i want to know.Are horror games dead?

Firstly:
i know that loads of horror games have come out this year and late 2013, like Outlast but... these games are indie remember, (that will be the key word for today) but other games that came out last year like aliens and dead space 3 that are horror mind you 'horror' just plain out sucked. just a plain cash grab.
and there we see other ones like resident evil 6 were terrible. So the big guys have lost their ideas or are trying to get the CoD fans to jump in but their playing CoD. And the indies are more advance on new tactics like
with Red Barrels with Outlast and the new DLC Whistleblower with a mad guy trying to cut your *****king penis off, yeah... much better than a tall white guy with a little *buzz buzz*.

So with the little people are much better with these and the big guys are just wanting their paycheck. As with anyone who knows me knows that i am a die hard horror fan. if i had to choose between Call of Duty the whole series or resident evil, RESIDENT EVIL dont care if it is getting dumbed down, this game still has a chance, call of duty will be the same.

anyway guys leave a comment below of your opinion either you think its going well or gong down the drain.

Have a nice day.

• 13 Replies
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

Horror games dead? I don't think so.

I believe the Slender Man game proved the genre is a live and well!
I think, just my opinion, that Dead Space 3 was more of a "slasher" flick more than a horror game. But again, just my opinion.

Amnesia was an excellent horror/thriller game. And it really took off!

Indie games are allowed more room to breathe because they aren't under the stress of large companies down their throat. Companies want product to sell. And 18 to 35 yr old males really love their, 'lone soldier saving the world' shtick.
I think you are missing the point of Horror games, you've named and compared games which, IDK, I just find odd.

R. Evil games started out as Survival/Horror. But you are correct, they have gone down the drain of FPS games quickly. And sadly, that sells. I mean, in the US, CoD is still the number one selling game...so the indie IP's are going to need to take baby steps in order to ween the public away from FPS's. Because if you've played one, you've played them all.

ghost72807
ghost72807
20 posts
Nomad

Well let's just see what The Forest offers.

Demonakinale
Demonakinale
38 posts
Templar

I know I'm three months late, but here's my opinion.
Horror games, specifically those developed by large companies, are not dying. With the recent Gamescom finished (12th - 17th August), there have been some surprising horror game announcements. Two of the more notable horror games announced were Until Dawn, an upcoming PS4 exclusive published by Sony Computer Entertainment, and 'P.T.' (Playable Teaser), developed by 7789 and the legendary Hideo Kojima, also currently exclusive to the PS4. Silent Hills was also teased upon the completion of P.T.

Fatal Frame V, the next instalment in the horrific Japanese franchise makes its debut on the Wii U. It's being developed by Tecmo Koei with Nintendo as its publisher. The Fatal Frame franchise has been revered for being bloody scary. The game releases in Japan on the 27th September, 2014.

Another two horror games off the top of my head are Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within.
Alien: Isolation being developed by Creative Assembly and published by Sega. With the amount of marketing and responses from media companies, the game looks promising. The game releases on the 7th October, 2014.
The Evil Within, being developed by Tango Gameworks & Shinji Mikami (Director of Resident Evil, 2 & 3), published by Bethesda Softworks. The game releases on the 14th-17th October 2014 (Depending on region).

Though we had an interval of horror games from large companies in the past year, the future looks scary, with many horror games being released for every type of horror fan, on every platform for 7th gen, current gen and PC.
So no, horror games are not dying, in fact, you could say its being revived with new technical capabilities from the current gen, enabling developers to expand their restrictions to scare you in new and inventive ways.

Have a nice day

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Horror games aren't dead. Alien isolation is coming out soon.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Well let's just see what The Forest offers.

It's not even a horror game. It's a survival game.

Anyway, there's no way a game genre will die, there will always be a new game for that genere. Think that racing games are dead? Mario Kart 8 comes out. Think wrestling games are dead? WWE Smackdown comes out.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

In the wake of Five Nights at Freddy's and P.T. , I'm assuming that the Horror genre is back in full swing this month!

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

of course they are dead what is more scarrier than zombies and ghosts and skellitongs?

Pois0nArr0w
Pois0nArr0w
2,053 posts
Nomad

The genre as a whole isn't dead, but in my opinion it's been stagnating for a long while. Maybe it's just desensitisation on my part, but most of the new titles I've played only really get me with the occasional jump scare. I've come to anticipate most of the horror I might experience in a horror game, and that anticipation is the largest obstacle I face in genuine enjoyment of the genre as it applies to video games, or any modern media for that matter.

This may not apply to everyone, but I see the problem like so:

When a person finds a game that's marketed explicitly as horror and decides to play it, there's generally one of two ideas(or both) that you could expect to find in that person's reasoning behind the decision: "I will be scared," or "Will I be scared?".

Whichever idea happens to be true for whoever is playing the game, it necessitates preparation for that idea. The point of horror games is to experience fear without the attachment of real danger, but when a person becomes too afraid they may either be rendered unable to play or wish to stop playing altogether, unless horror games happen to be that person's fetish. So, to enjoy the horror aspect of a game while still being able to play it, one has to have at least partially steeled themselves against the idea of experiencing fear in the first place.

Again, this is where the problems start for me. I steel myself too much, anticipate too many motions, glean too much from the atmosphere no matter how well-crafted it may be. It doesn't really help, either, that most horror games have the same basic premise, only differing in the specific situations presented.

amalager
amalager
27 posts
Nomad

Well, As far as I know, this kind of genre for games isnt going for too long in gaming industry. Though, I know some creepy types of bgms on a certain game? Rohan Blood feud has. LOL. Most especially while grinding. I really dont know but I find it creepy. HAHAHAH

wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

Horror games are fine right now, they have just taken a different direction. Now instead of survival horror, you are weak and can't fight (or can't move in FNAF).

DaGoblin
DaGoblin
50 posts
Nomad

There's no good multiplayer horror game is there? Maybe it takes the horror away.

KjIIer
KjIIer
1 posts
Farmer

let's play The Last Stand - Dead Zone. It's a good horror game

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

not really, horror is one of the genres that dont get praised as much as your generic fps or adventure game, although there are always TONS of free horror games being made for indie sites on PC. we just dont get them alot on console, and these days for console it gets mixed with action.

Showing 1-13 of 13