Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

Programming

Posted May 18, '14 at 7:19pm

DarthTyrannausarus

DarthTyrannausarus

40 posts

Is there any websites I can go to to learn how to program? I am a gamer, and i really would like to make the games rather than just play them all the time.

Posted May 18, '14 at 10:54pm

weirdlike

weirdlike

504 posts

Knight

There are all sorts of information on-line to get you into programming, but before I point you in some random direction. What kind of system are you targeting?

For example, if you wanted to make an x-box or PC game, you could use XNA HERE with a getting started link HERE.

Or perhaps you want to make flash games on-line, you could use FlashDevelop HERE, with a helpful link HERE.

It will be easier to find the right tutorials to get you started if you search with the proper keywords.

Posted May 19, '14 at 6:06am

KentyBK

KentyBK

555 posts

One thing to note about XNA is that it's no longer supported, I'd recommend checking out MonoGame instead. It's meant as an open-source implementation of XNA and it's cross-platform so you aren't locked into developing for Microsoft systems.

As for more information regarding programming, I'd also suggest looking at our stickies in this very subforum.

You could also check out  CodeAcademy as an introduction to programming in general.

Posted May 19, '14 at 11:22am

weirdlike

weirdlike

504 posts

Knight

I didn't know that about XNA, a quick look around with google indicates that XNA studio is ending as of last month (April 1), but there is no official report from microsoft to say otherwise. MonoGame does seem promising...

Posted May 22, '14 at 3:28pm

nuwbie

nuwbie

9 posts

Remember that there are all sorts of game genres. An easy one to start off with is text.

Posted Jun 3, '14 at 1:19pm

DarthTyrannausarus

DarthTyrannausarus

40 posts

Thanks, guys. This helped alot.

Reply to Programming

You must be logged in to post a reply!