ForumsGamesWhat MMOs here do you dislike the most?

27 11661
StormWingDelta
StormWingDelta
72 posts
Shepherd

Just curious about this since there has got to be some no one here wants to touch with a 100ft pole.

• 27 Replies
MerlinCross
MerlinCross
56 posts
Nomad

@Ferret

Because Metacritic is always right about popular games too huh? Or maybe They didn't just bloat the like button themselves or transfer their 'likes' from face book. Likes don't also mean 'ersistent' players either, nor does the play count. How many people are still playing these 'games'?

These are not games, these are cash withdrawal systems with the players being the ATMs. Sure, some of them do well. Spiral Knights, most of Edgebee's titles, the brawler looking ones, Dead Zone, heck Immortal Empires looks cool if the thing would ever load for me.

But for every one game I see that looks interesting, I see 3-4 clones or the same amount that is trying to squeeze as much cash out of the player as possible through Skinner box tricks.

I'm not saying all MMOs are bad, however much of the 'Facebook MMO' sea is not worth looking into if all of them are the same with different coats of paint.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@MerlinCross We're going to have to agree to disagree, my original point is saying all MMO games are bad without trying most of them makes the opinion irrelevant. Users are getting joy out of the games, or they just wouldn't exist.

If a MMO isn't fun, it will surely die. Right?

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

If a MMO isn't fun, it will surely die. Right?

It is almost like people can have different opinions on what is good and bad. But if it is not liked enough then it will probably die quickly.
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

ctrl+f "guild wars 2"
No results. I am happy.

Best mmo ever. exceptforcripplinglackofendgamecontentanddungeons

MerlinCross
MerlinCross
56 posts
Nomad

@Ferret

Oh I have no problem with MMOs in general. Can be fun, great to see most games are trying to do something other than clone WoW or compete with it.

I just can't wait for this whole 'facebook/social' MMO game bubble to burst like comics did in the 90s. When you have companies that are making clones OF THEIR OWN GAMES mind you, something is clearly gone wrong. One could argue that the big companies make clones and it's true. But I rarely see the cloning done as poorly and as broadly as it is in the 'Facebook' market.

Games like Mobwars, Wartune, and others have really damaged my perception of this area of games which from now on makes me research or outright skip most of these games. I can't be the only one to think this way.

Want an MMO? Fine. Guildwars, WoW, Starcraft and Dota are arguable. Same with TF2 and several other games that have large communities that keep going. But a sizable portion of games here are yes MMO. Lemme know when the Game part kicks in though.

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

Guildwars, WoW, Starcraft and Dota are arguable. Same with TF2

Out of those games only Guild Wars and WoW are an MMO.

I don't think flash MMOs should even count. Except maybe Club Penguin that **** is the bomb, best game 2005-2014. Back in the day all the penguin gurlz loved my sweet guitar and pimped out love-shack igloo.
MerlinCross
MerlinCross
56 posts
Nomad

We have moved beyond "MMORPG". All the games I listed do have large amount of players online at the same time. It is a debatable term these days as to what classifies and what doesn't.

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

All the games I listed do have large amount of players online at the same time. It is a debatable term these days as to what classifies and what doesn't.

But it's not like many of these players are playing together. Starcraft's most popular gamemode is 1v1. If you call these games MMOs, then you have to apply the title to just about every multiplayer game out there.
MerlinCross
MerlinCross
56 posts
Nomad

I would at least be applying it to something where gameplay between 2 players actually happens. Clicking a friend to 'help' them win a fight or restore energy really isn't playing.

I believe that most games are moving away from the 'MMO' term. Dunno what to call it but most are perpetual games(Updates, new content, bug fixes) the likes of even big name single player games don't get.

But this is way off the subject of topic and will stop talking about it. I tend to ramble on too long at times.

mistercomedian
mistercomedian
2 posts
Farmer

I hate the ones that try to advertise by including practically naked girls in their games and ads. I have to narrow my browser window to block the ads so that my parents don't see my computer and wonder what kind of website I'm on.

Armorgames is an excellent website, but they really need to do something about the MMO's they host.

StormWingDelta
StormWingDelta
72 posts
Shepherd

The one I hate are the Ones that think they have to label it F2P but in game they are trying to hoover vacuum your money out. Why don't they just label it a money vamp model game rather than hiding it under F2P?

Meantime: Didn't expect this topic to blow up. >_>

MerlinCross
MerlinCross
56 posts
Nomad

@mistercomedian

So like ALL of R2 games. Again, if you're going to use fanservice to sell a game, go for it. I know a few MMOs that own up to this fact(A certain game with the name 'blade' in the name) but several sell you someone elses fanservice.

I can't wait for the backlash/collapse of this model.

Showing 16-27 of 27