ForumsGamesGemcraft Help Required

11 2405
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Currently I'm a level 165 wizard, and require a little bit of help since I play with absolutely no tactics whatsoever, and I throw the notion of number crunching to the wind. I'm afraid I can't make headway into the game soon.

My strategy so far is to throw up a few towers at chokepoints and fill them with dual red/purple gems. Works well so far, but it doesn't get the job done in Endurance. I've read some of the guides here, but I still can't wrap my head around them, especially on the formulas. My questions are:

1) How do I set up a Mana farm?
2) How should I allocate my skill points? How many?
3) What is the best way to combine gems, I've heard that combining and upgrading reduces power by a long way?

I'm a Premium player so no worries on SCs.

Thanks!

• 11 Replies
Kreistor
Kreistor
34 posts
Farmer

You shouldn't be using Purple. Yellow for Crits.

A Mana Farm consists of a dual red-orange in a trap surrounded by Amplifiers. when it gets around Grade 8, add a full Poolbound or Bloodbound to the trap, but not the Amps -- they don't work in Amps. Upgrade the Farm as fast as you can afford to, while keeping the kill tower/trap capable of killing the Enraged monsters. I prefer Poolbound at lower level.

smario
smario
178 posts
Shepherd

i am level 150 now.

all i can say: keep it simple.
the hardcore-players discuss things that we will never achieve.

i have only still the X and Y hex to clear.

for the past 40+ fields i used:

walls
red/black gems

and nothing more. no traps, no amplifiers, no so called manfarms ...

skill setting:
True colors 15
Fusion 6
Mana Stream 18
Bolt 15
Beam 15
Chain Hit 12
Bloodbound 12

that's all.
i still could invest in fusion but that was not necessary until now,
and you need some starting mana, so don't invest all skill points.

and only improve skills by a multiple of 3 points, because only every 3 points
the second skill for each above mentioned skill grows.

smario
smario
178 posts
Shepherd

i forgot:

use pause - it's your friend.
the monster movement is freezed, but you can create gems, remove walls,
build new walls, when a flying beast is next to a tower use beam, curse
and mark it before continuing. during the normal game (at least at 2x or 3x speed this can get a little bit hard.

be sure, you made all necessary moves before you continue the game.
when you click on any icon the mark is gone (it would be great if that could be improved in the next version)

fractalman
fractalman
636 posts
Nomad

you got to 165...using red/purple dual gems.
O.O
you got to level 165 using a next-to-worthless combination gem. I am impressed.

If you want to go further in terms of leveling up, switch to red/yellow.

I'll make my "golden guide to breaking shadows and labyrinth" again, and give it its own topic this time.

thunderrider
thunderrider
641 posts
Peasant

Here's a hardcore formula you can easily follow as long as you start with enough mana to make grade 6 equivalent. Follow Psorek's method 1 for the grade 5(with g6 mana cost). It gives at least +50% to specials(so use with crit gem, for example, or mana) and combined with the method 2 it rises I think about 10-12% per 3 grade levels(4 grade mana cost levels).

Thus, it is amazing and you should use it asap!

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

It lowers firerate, haven't tested at lower grades so be carefull.

thunderrider
thunderrider
641 posts
Peasant

eh, lowers by 20%. with auto target on death thingy, no wasted shots(maybe).

Astroshak
Astroshak
268 posts
Peasant

Lowered fire rate is meaningless.

With a little bit of chain hit, you are still nailing every monster that crosses the trap, building the black component (if you are using black) quickly anyway. Tower? After a few levels (and amplifiers) you can still fire so fast that it lags your game down.

And didn't someone say in another thread that it appears that the firing rate cap was raised from 30 to 90? So though the number of shots you can make is tripled, it is still capped.

thunderrider
thunderrider
641 posts
Peasant

raise from 30 to 120 in trap. Limitless in tower - my 2.2K shots/sec in tower managem farms 1 million hits per 20 frames, just about(1500 chain tower, 2k monsterpileup)

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try out the yellow/red combo.

Thing is, I still don't understand psorek's combining method?

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

@nichodemus: Hey, go to IRC and I'll explain it to you. Type "#gemcraft" in channel field and connect.

Showing 1-11 of 11