ForumsForum GamesAnyone interested in playing an Evolution RPG?

36 10189
Tossavainen
Tossavainen
402 posts
Peasant

So, I have an idea for a forum RPG. It's not in any way a brilliant new idea- It's been done before. But the thing is, it hasn't been done in quite a while, as far as I've seen, so... I was thinking of bringing it back.

http://puu.sh/8WIHU.jpg

(That's not necessarily the name of the game in the image above - It's just something I made a while back that fits the theme)

Basically:

The idea is that you start as a little spit barely worthy of being called a member of a species in a vast ocean, and your job is to get up onto land (or not, whatever) and evolve into a great roaming herd of creatures - That you get to design! Well... Provided that you can make it with the options I give you. That's the thing I'm currently working on: How to really give the player freedom on what they want to become, without letting them break the game. I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Another thing is that- well, I fancy myself a bit of an artist, so... If you'd like, I can at any point give a shot at making a rendition of how I see your creature. And it doesn't stop there, I'll probably be using some illustration throughout the game to give the player a better idea of things. That said, I think the players themselves should be in charge of how they see the world inside their head, and not limited to my view of things.

But before I put in too much effort into this, I'd just like to know whether people are actually interested in playing a game such as this. If enough people say that they might be willing to give it a try, then it's settled.

I wish I could give you more info on the game, but there's still a lot to do and things are subject to change. I suppose I can tell you that the game will be multiplayer and the players will be interacting with eachother. But aside from that- oh! I almost forgot.

There's an extra special side to the game that I'm considering. It would truly add a twist to the way the game works. You see, I might make it so that the player has an option whether they play as a creature that evolves and so forth, or a HUNTER whose job is to hunt down specific creatures. How this would be balanced, I still don't know, but like I said, I'm considering it. Because it sounds pretty sweet. So, I'd especially appreciate some feedback on this aspect.

I was planning on making a more thought out post about this later, but I figured I should just make sure my work is not wasted. I'm sure you understand.

So... What do you say?

• 36 Replies
StormDragon
StormDragon
4,584 posts
Peasant

I prefer the idea of playing as a creature.

JACKinbigletters
JACKinbigletters
9,363 posts
Treasurer

Hunter, mmmmh yes, lets give that a go.

anewbeginning
anewbeginning
379 posts
Nomad

I prefer creature, although playing a creature who hunts other creatures or hunts hunters could be fun.

danwar123
danwar123
3,075 posts
Jester

creature

I prefer creature, although playing a creature who hunts other creatures or hunts hunters could be fun.

Ever heard of "Carnivores"?
anewbeginning
anewbeginning
379 posts
Nomad

Ever heard of "Carnivores"

When I say other creatures, I don't mean just any animal. I meant players.
Tossavainen
Tossavainen
402 posts
Peasant

I'm not exactly working full-time on this at the moment as I have some other projects as well (involving an indie game that I wont shamelessly advertise here unless someone is interested) but in the meantime, I'm still waiting for a couple of posts on Creature or Hunter. Feel free to bring up any other topics remotely related to what we've been discussing, in the interest of keeping this somewhat alive.

Showing 31-36 of 36