Forums

ForumsFlash Games

Gemcraft CS: Low Level Manafarm tips?

Posted Jun 19, '14 at 5:53pm

Astroshak

Astroshak

269 posts

You can and cannot manafarm at the really low levels.

You are reliant upon the game providing you with the gems you need.
You are unable to achieve the kind of success displayed in most (if not all) of the manafarm videos.

What you CAN do, however, is practice. You will not be able to achieve anywhere near the billions of raw exp, but then, when you are a real low level (which, BTW, I would define as under level 100; under level 1000 is "low level") you do not need that sort of success, either. What you need is a bit more exp on any given map than you achieved before, in order to get another level or three. That gives you more mana, or maybe a couple more skill levels, which makes the next go a little bit better.

Get rid of the idea that the manafarm will catapult you into the high levels (above level 2500). Oh, to be sure, it will indeed do so. It just takes a bit of work, and a bit of leveling, before that happens. It also takes a few maps, you won't go from 1700 to 3100 in one Endurance run. Similarly, though you can go from 190 to 1210 in one run, you won't be going from 50 to 450 in one run. It will take a few runs, from 50 to something higher to something higher to 1000+.

So, my advice : be patient. Practice, but do not expect the world when you first start manafarming. At real low levels you lack the skills to obtain trillions of post-battle experience or "e" levels of mana.

Posted Jun 20, '14 at 11:32am

Erile

Erile

375 posts

On a related note, its very unfortunate that some players on the forums and in the guides/help posts keep calling low levels less than a thousand.

Overwhelmingly, the low level players asking for advice on the forums are levels 1-80 or so. This means that all of the so-called "low-level" information is completely wrong for those players. I personally do not consider levels 200-1000 low level, and neither do the majority of users asking for help if the thread posts are any indication. I think that people should stop calling levels 200-1000 "low-level" and restrict "low level" to those who have not yet completed the game.

last edited Jun 20 2014 11:33 am by Erile

Posted Jun 20, '14 at 4:17pm

Brew78

Brew78

17 posts

I agree with the thunderrider guide being very helpful.

And don't underestimate the importance of angering waves.

It adds additional monsters per wave and increases the experience and mana gain per kill of each of those monsters, making the net benefit of each wave way higher than it originally was.

I'm still not clear on this 20x multiplier thing, but angering until the next wave's armor is half your minimum kill gem damage seemed to work really well and I doubled my level each time I did an endurance run. First it was mid 100's into the 300's. Then up to the 700's. After that it starts to level off a little and I'm now in the 1200's.

But for now, definitely use poolbound over bloodbound.

Posted Jun 20, '14 at 5:18pm

Astroshak

Astroshak

269 posts

Erile, it is purely a matter of perspective.

When you are having fun with the game the first time around, hitting level 80 or level 107 seems like a new high.

When you then go from 190ish to 1200ish in one run of one map, you realize that those levels are not so high after all.

It is not a slight towards anyone when I say that under 200 is very low level, and that under 1000 is low level. It is just a matter of perspective, having gone and gotten to a high level. If WL was capped at 100, then under 10 would certainly be called "very low", and under 20 would still be called "low". Depending on how easy it was to get there, or how much time has passed since most people started out, even 80 might still be considered "low" while the max is 100. It all depends upon the system in use, and the generally attainable level. And, though it takes more than one such run as well as a certain amount of patience, reaching WL of 3000+ is more than attainable through manafarming into Endurance.

Posted Jun 20, '14 at 6:39pm

fractalman

fractalman

637 posts

1-100 is low level.
100-200 is mid level.
200-2000 is high level.
2000+ is epic level.

mkay?
mkay.

Posted Jun 20, '14 at 6:56pm

Astroshak

Astroshak

269 posts

Again, it is a matter of perspective.

Posted Jun 20, '14 at 8:09pm

Erile

Erile

375 posts

I understand that it is a matter of perspective. I also never said that anyone was slighting anyone or being mean or purposely harmful. I only bring up the issue because of one major problem that keeps happening in the forums. Low level players ask for help and are almost uniformly given terrible advice for their level.

This advice either suggests physically impossible actions or actions which will end up being detrimental to the player. I have been trying to bring this up repeatedly because I was given much of the same advice, and kept discovering that the information provided was wrong. I have seen many players get frustrated and quit because they are told to read the "low-level guide" which is geared towards players between levels 200 and 1000. This guide was even posted as a response in this thread, even though it is totally incorrect and inappropriate given the player's level.

Examples of serious problems:
-You can't use yellow all the time when its not available at your level.
-You cannot mana farm when your freeze isn't long enough/fast enough or when the gems are too low grade to provide anything useful.
-You don't have grade 30 gems
-You can't tell low level players that blue is useless when it is the fastest, most damaging gem that you have for a long time before you get yellow.
-You can't tell players that purple or green are useless at low levels.
-The values posted for angering waves are completely wrong for anyone at lower levels and end up making you spend more mana than you get back.

There are many other examples of this. I made my comments because I was trying to help the player avoid the serious pitfalls of the posted guides. Given that at least 80% of players that call themselves low-level are much lower level than the guides account for, I have been trying to engender a change in the discussion to actually start helping these players instead of providing imbalanced information.

Reply to Gemcraft CS: Low Level Manafarm tips?

You must be logged in to post a reply!