Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Signatures?

Posted Jun 19, '14 at 1:47pm

stingwings

stingwings

1 post

Why Not?

Well... I know it can be a hassle with people posting inappropriate images as their signatures.. but on all other forums I find these available. If you are worried about inappropriate images, maybe you could have a "request a signature" where they may link you, and you approve it and upload it as their signature.

Posted Jun 19, '14 at 4:59pm

Ferret

Ferret

5,355 posts

Administrator

I personally like it without the signatures, but be happy to hear others opinions. Also, welcome to the forum @Stingwings!

Posted Jun 19, '14 at 7:24pm

UnleashedUponMankind

UnleashedUponMankind

4,841 posts

We have this discussion several times, like at Feb this year

Some like the idea, some not... @Boppins made a very good point:

If everyone had a few lines it would be a mess, and makes it harder to read the actual content.  Having no signatures leaves us with quite a nice looking forum.

I cant agree more, i see some forums with signatures... and yes, it is a mess.
Mostly it is not only normal text, no, you have also links, gifs... and ASCII-art.
Just normal text ruined the look, but with all of these extras it becomes even more unsightly... and if you dont allow links and gifs you still have ASCII-art...

Posted Jun 20, '14 at 2:24am

Ernie15

Ernie15

12,534 posts

Knight

I don't see any reason why signatures would be a feature worth adding to our forums. The last thing we need is to have every page of every thread cluttered up with the same useless text that no one will read at the bottom of every post; all it will do is make each page twice as long, and it would benefit nobody.

The sad truth is, although one may find their own signature to be uproariously amusing, people in general have very little interest in the signatures of others, and after looking at them once, will ignore them from then on. Is it truly necessary to have something on every single page of every single thread that will not benefit anyone and will be ignored 99% of the time?

Posted Jun 20, '14 at 11:38am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,851 posts

Knight

Why not? Just limit the amount of content you can put in the signature then. Say half a dozen lines and a couple of pictures maybe. I used to think it would create a mess, then I visited other Forums. AG looks clean, but if clean means boring and minimalistic, then no. Sigs add character, and they're good fun in expressing said character.

Posted Jun 20, '14 at 11:46am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

7,800 posts

Signatures are indeed something only the person who made these will enjoy, not others. Most people will simply overlook them really quickly, which defeats their purpose entirely... if someone wants to make a funny statement, share a moment of their life or quote a saying or catch phrase, they can use the unlimited space on their profile's about. The forum is a place where people discuss topics, not a bulletinboard for repeated statements if you ask me... not to mention the abuse that will most certainly be around... advertisements and whatnot? Nope... I say keep them nice and tidy! =)
__________________________________________________________________________________
Edit: Hey look! We can make signatures already! Simply make a line and type! ;)

last edited Jun 20 2014 11:49 am by MrDayCee

Posted Jun 20, '14 at 4:18pm

Riptizoid101

Riptizoid101

3,228 posts

Hey look! We can make signatures already! Simply make a line and type! ;)

It's just not the same, Daycee, it's just not the same. :'(

Posted Jun 20, '14 at 4:51pm

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

7,800 posts

I've seen many forums using signatures and they are much harder to work through than ours! Mainly because of the... can you guess it? Correct... signatures! They are distracting from the proper discussion and most of the time contain jibberish and/or meaningless images, or worse... gifs that slow down loading significantly. That's a big 'nope' for me! =)

Posted Jun 20, '14 at 10:22pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,851 posts

Knight

IMO, something's wrong with the content of your post if a few colourful lines and pictures can distract you from the discussion.

Posted Jun 21, '14 at 12:18am

daleks

daleks

3,181 posts

If you really wanted a signature the only place I can see putting it that would be annoying as heck is under the armatar area when posting. I would make it though that it can only be a line or two though. Don't think we need one though.

Reply to Signatures?

You must be logged in to post a reply!