Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Signatures?

Posted Jun 21, '14 at 12:22am

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

1,508 posts

Why Not?

1 In general, without very stringent limitations, this would leave the forums vulnerable to indecency, extreme excess, and probably more ads. Signatures are not post/thread specific, so the content would have to be dealt with by means other than deletion.

2 If every post has something this

big appended to it, scrolling through a simple discussion can become quite tedious. All the more if it's an image and more still if it's an animated gif. It is analogous to inserting commercial breaks between each line in a sitcom.

3 We have profiles - vast, largely untapped, regions of customizeable space - at our disposal for just this kind of thing. What content is so crucial that it mandates attachment to every one of your posts instead?

4 Boppins is a valuable resource. We need him for game and site maintenance issues; not making frivolous features to let you do something you can already do on the spot.

last edited Jun 21 2014 12:23 am by FishPreferred

Posted Jun 21, '14 at 2:12am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,853 posts

Knight

We do not have many users to monitor on the Forums. As it is, there are various ways to abuse the system, like the profiles mentioned, or one of the million comments on the site that goes unnoticed, so I think discounting the small chance that people will abuse a sig, and immediate get caught, is not unsound. 

There are various ways of getting around the fact that sigs can be too long. Simply limit the amount of content available per sig. It's not a necessary or vital feature to add, but it's not one that is entirely detrimental or not worth considering.

Posted Jun 21, '14 at 6:13am

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,290 posts

Like most web-a-holics, I have been through forums where every participant had their own unique signature. I've come to dislike their very existence, not because of the length or even specific content within them, but because seeing the same thing over and over gets so old so quickly!

Sigs add character, and they're good fun in expressing said character.

We are not a large community compared to some forums... many threads consist of the same two or three people posting on each page. If only three people post on a page, you'll see at least one signature three times on the same page! If anything, I think that would subtract character rather than add it.

If it's character you're looking for, read the posts themselves. A signature is the same for every one of a user's posts, but no two posts are alike. That's where the character is... not in some repetitive epigram you see 1,000 or more times. =)

Posted Jun 21, '14 at 2:05pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

2,799 posts

If you really wanted a signature the only place I can see putting it that would be annoying as heck is under the armatar area when posting. I would make it though that it can only be a line or two though. Don't think we need one though.

Daleks has an excellent point here.

As well as that, though, (as half the other people have been saying) signatures can be distracting if they're big and rainbowwy and are full of gifs and things. I mean, if the signature was small and limited to a line or so (like the "edit" notice, then I think it would be fine, but if we did that, then where would edit go?

Posted Jun 21, '14 at 8:39pm

R2D21999

R2D21999

8,112 posts

There was a time when I actually supported signatures, but looking at the forums now... it would not look good with signatures. It would look messy and disorganized, and an organized forum is good for ArmorGames. Yes there are forums that actually look fine with signatures, but ArmorGames would not be one of them.

Use your bio like everyone else has been suggesting, or do what @Jacen96 does and do the -whatever words you want here thing.

Posted Jun 22, '14 at 8:23pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,155 posts

or do what @Jacen96 does and do the -whatever words you want here thing.

I'm curious, what are you talking about?

This?

Today I decided to remove most of the copy/paste crap from my about, and make it something actually about me.

Currently living in a area halfway across the country from where I was, from the pacific northwest to a desert.

Being proficient at mastering the subjects taught in schools, I am currently enrolling in multiple duel credit and AP courses for my Junior year in high school.

Tending to veer away from society, I developed a keen interest in video games and movies, being a major fan of the show Dr. Who and playing Starcraft for hours on end.

To be continued . . .

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Jun 22, '14 at 10:39pm

R2D21999

R2D21999

8,112 posts

I'm curious, what are you talking about?

This:

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Jun 22, '14 at 11:40pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,155 posts

Oh, well I stole the idea from the friendly neighborhood satanist brony.

Ugh, what was his name . . .

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Jun 28, '14 at 1:29pm

lego12344

lego12344

11 posts

I would have to say right now the forums I have been on with sigs...

YOU WILL DIE OF TOO MANY FREAKING PAGES AND STUPID PICTURES AND WORDS

I have tried signatures, hate 'em

Reply to Signatures?

You must be logged in to post a reply!