Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

TM office cancels redskins

Posted Jun 23, '14 at 9:10pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,976 posts

When you hear "Redskin," you think of a game, not a demographic.

I think of potatoes. It would be interesting if they pick a potato logo to keep the name rights.

Posted Jun 23, '14 at 10:19pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,172 posts

I think of potatoes. It would be interesting if they pick a potato logo to keep the name rights.

I meant as a generalization, but I get your point. Wait...how would picking a potato logo let them keep the rights to the name? Because no one would be offended by it?

Either way, it still stands that "redskins" does not make one think of the demographic it was originally assigned to in general.

Posted Jun 24, '14 at 12:10am

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

4,753 posts

All Native Americans were granted full U.S. citizenship in the Indian Citizenship Act of 1924. In other words, they DID have the same rights as everyone else. As for resources, scholars have predicted that the population of "Indigenous peoples in the Americas" was about 10 million (this included those in South America, but by the end of the 19th century the numbers had reached 50-100 million.) As of 2012, the population of Native Americans in the U.S. alone is 308.7 million.

Rights in name are not rights in action. All slaves in the US were given full citizenship in 1868, yet black people didn't receive the right to vote until 1964. Not to mention the discrimination they faced in the hundred year period between those two times, do you really think Native Americans had it any better?

Also, you want to recheck your figures, or are you actually claiming that 85% of the US population is Native American?

I do agree with you though, the name "Redskins" while derogatory origin is not being used derogatorily. Also, I have a feeling that the Native Americans speaking out against the name are not the majority but a very vocal minority. At this point, to change the team's name, is, as said earlier, a waste of money and resources. Not to mention a potential loss of fans who associate themselves with the Redskin brand and the team.

Posted Jun 24, '14 at 12:45am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,976 posts

Because no one would be offended by it?

Pretty much. If it no longer references a demographic, it wouldn't legally be considered derogatory. If they changed their name to the "Boobies" and their logo was the type of bird, legal action couldn't be taken against it directly for vulgarity. That would be a great name to pick. They could sell tons of "I [heart] boobies" shirts.

Posted Jun 24, '14 at 1:16am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,266 posts

Tampa Bay Rays were once called the Devil Rays before changing their name for no other reason than to not have Devil in their name...albeit they weren't an 81 year franchise.

Posted Jul 13, '14 at 10:21pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

just change the name and earn more cash by selling the new merchandise. just look for the + side. ;)
everybody happy and after 2 seasons the new name will be sticked and nobody calls it redskins anymore...

last edited Jul 13 2014 10:23 pm by partydevil

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 12:30am

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

3. The argument is 81 years old. If it was a real problem, it would have been argued over and dealt with back then.

This is bunk. I think it's pretty common knowledge that Native Americans have been denied confrontation with the US government for a ridiculous amount of time. Hell, the last president that paid them any real attention was Nixon.

Reply to TM office cancels redskins

You must be logged in to post a reply!