ForumsPopular MediaGood REALLY HEAVY metal bands.

12 9064
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

I find that when I try listening to metal I can't find any to suit me. Any I find to be heavy enough have vocals that sound like dying animals (No offense screamo fans.) I would love Slipknot if it weren't for (Once again) The vocals. Ever listen to the fictional cartoon band Deathclock, It sounds fantastic but once more I hear the antics of Nathan Explosion. Screaming is also the reason I'm selective of Avenged Sevenfold Songs. Really it's gotten out of hand in my opinion. Have you ever heard screaming in a slow song? I have. Really though I'm just rambling at this point so let me get to the point. Can anyone suggest a fast paced heavy metal band with some more hard rock vocals?

• 12 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I know Shinedown has some nice fast paced songs. Maybe you also need to check the Speed Metal genre a bit, like DragonForce for example? Speed Metal tends to have normal singing with fast paced music! =)

Going to use your thread to see if there's a basis among our community to maybe start the MBWC back up again, if that's allright with you @samiel?

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Yay Thanks, also I love Dragonforce they are one of my favorites (Ironicaly my two favorite of their songs are Through the Fire and Flames and Inside the Winter Storm) I have listened to Shinedown and to be truthfull I kinda forgot about them. Also I had never even heard of speed metal and I'm also trying new types of music all the time. I mainly Started this because I was listening to Mech (The singer is nicknamed the Polish Ozz) and I was like "This is awsome"
Then I was Like "I could listen to something faster" Do you know how difficult it is to find songs that are harder and faster than Pilem Z Diablem Bruderzaft or Brudna Muzyka without screaming vocals, they are basicly the line (also you should totally go look those up now) but now I find out there is an entire other genre I can dive into. YES!

DarthTyrannausarus
DarthTyrannausarus
538 posts
Nomad

Sepulchura is really good, it has a mix of singing and screamo. You might like it.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Tool
System of a Down
Death
Gorguts
Immolation
Nile
Acid Bath
Autopsy
Napalm Death
Cryptopsy
Dream Theater
Eyehategod
Opeth
LoG
Atheist
Converge
RATM
Mastodon
Neurosis
Also obvious stuff like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath.

No offense but your taste screams "I'm new to metal!" considering Deathklok is the only band you listed that is metal. It's also about the most entry-level modern death metal band ever. I'm not the most hardcore metal fan either, but c'mon.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Missed the part where you said you don't like screaming. Tool has a lot of angelic singing, System has Serj and Daron who really don't *scream* at all (lots of yelling though), Mastodon has some angry stuff but nothing super harsh, Dream Theater has Queen-esque singing, RATM is rap/metal, and a lot of pre-90's metal has little to no brutal screaming whatsoever. But you're never gonna get into really good ****ing hate-filled blood curdling metal if you can't get past the screaming. It's fundamental to the genre.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I agree that screaming is 'art' of the Metal genre @Salvidian, but it's not something you have to start liking... the majority of Metal bands are still without screaming if you crunch numbers.

How did your search for new bands come along @samiel? Did you expand your collection significantly yet? =)

Also... seems like the Metal community is dorment again... no basis for solid ground to have enough voters if the MBWC competition if you ask me... heh... =/

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Considering how "super harsh screaming" metal bands have only been around for 20 years or so, then yes, the majority of metal bands don't have screaming.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Where is @Minotaur55 at yo

And Sal..although I like your list, this person put REALLY HEAVY (notice those caps! =o) so they want stuff that hit harder than the average abusive father. Hell, I'm even considering not having Gojira or Cynic for my list of bands due to their more melodic nature

Devildriver
Lamb of God
Dysrhythmia
Kylesa
The Cumshots (Death Rock...so not technically metal)
Dir en Grey (experimental, so expect a lot of songs with more 80's metal influence)
Gorguts
Behold... The Arctopus
Russian Circles
Amenra
Dark Castle
Pelican
Gojira (Technial Death Metal, still has plenty of heavy hitting moments doe)
Sannhet
Tyr

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Given up on most metal nowadays.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

pang

>Dys
>BTA
>RC
>Pelican
>Criticizes Salvidian for listing some bands that weren't really heavy

Anyhow, I could split more hairs but then I'd be Unleashed. :P

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Here are some bands that I listen to. They're quite heavy bruh.

Gorguts
Lamb Of God
Behemoth
Death
Napalm Death
Gojira
Today is the Day (they're... kind of metal)
Arch Enemy
Amon Amarth
Meshuggah
Xasthur (more ambient than metal, really)
Dysrhythmia
Dir En Gray
Every Time I Die
Origin (not really into them)
Floor

Where is @Minotaur55 at yo

HERE. I'M HERE.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

I've tried alot of the ones listed but I think I'll just crawl back into my musical niche. And also let me just say that I don't much bother with sub genres, heavy metal is about as specific as I get since after that it stops making sense to me. I'll stick to Dragon Force for a little while.

Showing 1-12 of 12