ForumsWEPR10 Things that WILL get you arrested in America

27 14832
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

10 Things that WILL get you arrested in America.
4. Taking a picture of/videoing a police officer
5. Starting a chant at a public protest
6. Mentioning God in public
7. Shouting the n-word as loud as you can in public
8. Resisting a body cavity search at the airport
9. Smoking in a restaurant
10. Lecturing a police officer about your rights

If you have any suggestions or comments, post. Do not post based on your emotions alone. If you do not live in America, do not post.

• 27 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

1. Fair enough. (Unless the quote is against Israel as a country, which is different)
2. Definitely fair. Wait, is that against a homosexual or homosexuality in general?
3. Welcome to America. Unless you're not a WASP, in which case, go home.
4. Wait, what? Why?
5. Nope. That's a violation of our right to protest. (Unless the chant is offensive)
6. Depends how you mention God. If it's friendly debate, or describing your own views, fine. Pressuring others to follow your ideals, less acceptable.
7. Erm... Why would this be allowable at all? It's a swear word.
8. Look at it from their perspective. For all they know, you are a terrorist, or drug smuggler.
9. Smoking is a filthy habit that can cause health problems for people around you.
10. The police know your rights. They are the police. They are also at liberty to arrest people who obstruct the police in police work.You can deal with any problems down at the station, where you can get a seat in a room with an officer, and a lawyer.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

1. Saying anything against Jews

You won't get arrested. Depending on what you said and where there may be significant social media backlash and you may lose your job, depending on what your job is.

2. Saying anything against homosexuals

This will at most in a social media rebuke if it becomes widely known.

3. Being black

True.

Possibly, depending on the cop.

Possibly, if it's inciting violence.

Lol no. For the most part you'll be praised for doing that or no one would care.

I think most people would just look oddly at you and walk away fast, unless you repeatedly did it. Still wouldn't be arrested. Perhaps beat up if someone took offense and you didn't stop.

Yep.

Only if it's non-smoking, you refuse to stop, refuse to leave, and resist police once they arrive and tell you to leave.

They'll probably just roll their eyes and ignore you. Won't get arrested unless you're doing something illegal/resisting authority.

List needs to be renamed to: 2 things that will get you arrested in America; 6 things that will make you an asshole; 2 things no one cares about.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Why isn't peeing on the Alamo in this list?

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Apparently Kasic thinks that only being black and resisting a cavity search at the airport will certainly get you arrested. Never mind screaming [n-word]!!!!!!!!!! (kind of bad) at the top of your lungs or videoing a cop (really, really, really bad).

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Apparently Kasic thinks that only being black and resisting a cavity search at the airport will certainly get you arrested.

Yep. Everything else you listed wouldn't get you arrested unless you exacerbated the situation much further. #1, #2, #6, and #7 would never get you arrested at all no matter how much you did it. #4 and #10 would only possibly, MAYBE get you arrested, if you had been told to comply with something already and were using those as reasons to refuse, and they were particularly hot headed police officers involved. #9 would never get you arrested unless you took it way further and continued to aggravate the situation.

Whereas being black in the wrong place at the wrong time can get you brought in, or resisting TSA is a good way to be hauled off to a solitary room.
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

i had 2 friends who almost got arrested for walking down the street without a government issue ID [they werent drunk or acting wild or anything just normally walking down the sidewalk]

TerminatorXM214
TerminatorXM214
222 posts
Blacksmith

Actually, none of those can technically get you arrested.

1. Saying anything against Jews
This is protected in the right free speech (1st Amendment). If you are arrested for this, you can take it to court.

2. Saying anything against homosexuals
Again, 1st Amendment. You have the right to say anything against anyone, as long as you aren't specifically violating their own rights.

3. Being black
Haha very funny actually no this is very not funny.

Uh, no this can't get you arrested. It could get a police officer upset with you, possibly enough to give you a fine, but not arrest you as long as you're just filming/photographing.

Again, 1st Amendment. Chants alone are fine, as long as it is just chanting.

Again, very funny. 1st Amendment gives both the right to free speech, and insuring that the government will not prohibit the free exercise thereof.

While you might get a fine for disruption of peace, this cannot get you arrested unless you are also violating someone else' rights.

Resisting could either get you thrown out of the airport, or brought to a little room for questioning. Not really arrested.

IF the restaurant has a no-smoking policy, it will get you thrown out of the restaurant, with possibly a fine.

Very much no. A police officer is actually required to read you your rights upon arresting you. If you do it for them, the worst that happens is they get annoyed.

I hope this thread is a joke, actually. Because this is false stuff, and plainly insulting to US law enforcement.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Haha very funny actually no this is very not funny.

Very not funny, except it's true.

Simply being black is a factor.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

So the OP here is very much underdescribed. Take, for example, (3) - being black. That alone won't get your arrested. And looking at the other 9 criteria, those things won't get you arrested on their own either.
Now, obviously I'm reading this thing too literally. I'm not doing this to troll, but instead to draw out what's going on in the background.

Returning again to (3), we might say something like: Given two individuals - one white and one black - under the same circumstances C, the black one is more likely to get arrested than the white one.
But even this isn't right as it really depends on the circumstances. The video that Kasic linked to just deals with the circumstances of attempting to steal a car. But other circumstances (e.g. opening fire with a gun on a crowded street) are going to invalidate the above claim. Not to mention circumstances in which nothing illegal is taking place.

But this approach doesn't work for something like (9) - smoking in a restaurant. Here, other things would need to happen. In fact, if you did get arrested after smoking in a restaurant, the charge certainly wouldn't be 'smoking in a restaurant'. It would be something like 'disturbing the peace' or 'resisting arrest'.

But this really seems to be the case for every item on this list. Were you to be arrested for doing any of these, two things would have to hold true: 1) The person being arrested would have to either be in some particular set of circumstances or do other actions, and 2) the charges against the person would not match up with anything that's on this list.

All that being said, there does seem to be some truth in the OP. I'm wondering if we can extract that truth and spell out which ones require certain circumstances and which ones require further action in order to be arrested. (My point (2) from above, now that I look at it, is just trivial and uninteresting, I'm just typing as I think).

So it looks like (3) from the list is a circumstance-based criterion, whilst (9) is one that requires further action. Is this right? Can we categorise the rest? And is there any cross-cutting that we could make?

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Actually, none of those can technically get you arrested.

You have a lot to learn about Dem Uknited Statez Ov Umerika.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I think the one that has things to learn is you. Everyone agrees that the vast majority of your list will not result in any consequences, and the only time anyone thinks there will be consequences at all is if there are further factors involved or how we interpreted the question.
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I would hope by now - especially to someone who has been around as long as you - that I wouldn't just make some arbitrary post. This bring in point (2) that I made from above, which I considered to be somewhat trivial. But since you're bringing it in to the mix, none of what you've listed are actually charges that can be brought against you in the US.
Giving me a 1-sentence reply to that post informing me that I have a lot to learn about the US is... well... absolutely infuriating. I feel as though my points are completely valid and I'm here in order to help facilitate discussion and debate. But if you'd care to go toe-to-toe with me on any of these points, I'm more than happy to oblige.
With that in mind, I'll strengthen my previous post (though it seems as though you never read in the first place).

My new position: Everything stated in the OP is false. None of those individual criterion can get you arrested (see my previous post as to why). Furthermore, I would attest that even doing all 10 of those things at once would not be sufficient to get one arrested.

I'm not sure if you're trolling, trying to be insulting to me directly, or what. But get your shizzle togizzle mah brizzle. I'm just trying to moderate here. But if you want to insult me or try to debate directly with me, then please feel free mah brutha!
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

To me it sounds like the OP has an "OMG nothing is allowed in this land anymore we are so opressed" crisis/rant, likely resulting from reading about one too much situation where one or some of the mentioned factors has lead to exaggerated police reaction.

Personally I agree with what the others have said. All of those things on their own won't get you arrested. They are just factors.

Things that definitely WILL get you arrested:
- Theft
- Murder
- Attempted murder
- Insulting a police officer repeatedly
- "idle or loiter anyplace within the corporate limits of the city for the purpose of flirting or mashing." in Abilene, Texas (http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/texas)

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Ok, try doing a few of those things in public if you think you won't get arrested. And have a fun time getting anally raped in jail by big mean smelly homos.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Ok, try doing a few of those things in public if you think you won't get arrested.

People already do those things in public all the time. Especially #1, #2, #6, and #7 (where smoking is allowed).

by big mean smelly homos.

I'm pretty sure that most of the ones doing that aren't actually homosexuals.

Showing 1-15 of 27