ForumsForum GamesRPG tips from Eliakith

2 2109
eliakith
eliakith
2,419 posts
Blacksmith

Hai! I'm Eliakith, an RPG maker saddened by the quality of recent forum games. I'm going to give you some tips on how to make a fairly good RPG. First off: I believe that the sticky'd thread is not the best tool. Second off: I will not spit the sticky'd thread back at you without my own personal touch. Now that we have that out of the way, here are the tips.

1. Have at least 50 posts.
It seems simple enough to the point where it might not matter, but this can change mindset about your RPG. A person with 15 posts is much less likely to be respected then a person with 50+.

2. Ask: Is my idea original?
If it is, flesh out a rough draft on your comp or mobile device. If not, why isn't it? Same plot as something else? Same style? Locate the problem and fix it.

3. Do an interest check/kickstarter
An interest check/KS can help raise awareness for the game. It can also provide feedback on your basic char sheet/plot.

4. Ask: Is my char sheet good?
A char sheet can say a lot about an RPG. A small one (I.E. the example in sticky'd thread) can be too simple for most tastes. One with too many sections, like one below:

Name:
specis:
Bio:
HP:
MP:
Pwr:
acc:
speed:
dex:
int:
mnd:
hunger:
thirst:
allies:
inv:
equipment:
supplies:

can make an RPG tedious to update/join. A mid size char sheet (preferably w/o hunger & thirst as those most never help an RPG) will attract most casual players. Exception: Once you get further into RPG making you can experiment to find what size and what headings attract what people.

5. Time zone
This site is (as far as I know) mainly of people running on EST. With that said, some people run on US pacific time or even are from England. If you operate from a time zone other then EST, or operate during different hours, it will help to tell your players before they start.

6. Decide on your style
Decide if you want a free roam world or a set path. Free roam worlds are tougher to keep up but are better for attracting players. Fixed path worlds are much easier to update, but have the major disadvantage of unexpected movement (I.E. a person strays from your fixed path.) When this happens you need to get a rope (an NPC their char loves) and a lure (put him/her in danger) and a destination (The place where the NPC is). If you do it subtly enough, an untrained eye won't notice you guiding them.

7. Be a player
Learn the mindset of the player by playing a group RPG. Also take note on how more experienced RPG makers handle things.

8. Player caps
A player cap can be a wonderful thing. First off, it will limit your update time and difficulty of running the RPG. Second off, it can make players feel like they have to join soon, thus increasing your player count very fast. The bad part is, you never have new stories to control, making the RPG feel dull to you. I would suggest an open RPG to start off, but after your first you can experiment for yourself.

9. Have fun
Just because you're the DM doesn't mean you can't have fun. Some people would say otherwise, but I know firsthand that it can be a blast seeing how people react and do things you don't expect. If you aren't having fun, take a look at your RPG and determine why you aren't having fun. Fix the problem or ask one of your players to take over.

That's about it for now, but I may add more later or when I feel more experienced. Please provide your feedback in the comments!

Note: This is not a substitute to the sticky'd thread. It is merely an addition/changing/elaboration of the thread.

• 2 Replies
nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

i agree with all of them except for number 1 i only have around 30 posts and i have 2 active players on both of my RPGs

poseidis
poseidis
218 posts
Peasant

Great tips!

Showing 1-2 of 2