ForumsThe TavernBattle of medieval weapons V2 (Current battle: pg. 10)

102 46723
nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

i did this before but i was a noob and didn't do any pictures or anything an it just wasn't a good thread. but its dead now so here is a better version!

so here is what you do. 2 warriors fight in a one on one battle in flat terrain they are both equally skilled and have no armor but they have different weapons you vote on which one would win.

first battle.

Longsword

Vs

Broadsword

http://www.medieval-weaponry.co.uk/acatalog/S5710M-920-1.jpg

• 102 Replies
nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

for some reason it didn't show the longsword picture but its right here:

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs46/PRE/f/2009/226/c/c/longsword_2_by_The_5.jpg

Lobotis
Lobotis
75 posts
Nomad

longsword can stab from farther away so...

My vote is: Longsword

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I would give the edge to the Longsword for greater maneuverability and maybe reach, not sure as I've only ever held a broad (at least I'm pretty sure its a broad)

~~~Darth Caedus

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Longsword: Two-handed.

Longswords can be used with either two or one hand, hence the more modern term "Hand-and-a-half Sword"

~~~Darth Caedus
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Interestingly, the Viking type sword depicted here does not correspond to what Wikipedia calls a broadsword. According to a short browsing session in Wikipedia, a broadsword is another term for a basket-hilted sword.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a3/Schiavona-Morges.jpg/220px-Schiavona-Morges.jpg

But I guess they are vaguely similar to Viking type sword concerning the rough blade morphology... what I know is that Viking swords were relatively flexible, so would shatter less easily than a thinner blade. However it is not much of a piercing weapon, compared to some of the latter longswords. So if we consider solely a duel, I would say the longsword would win as it is a more modern sword type.

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

i will give until next week for votes (unless i get alt of votes before than) than i will announce the next battle

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I'm a longsword man. I find both the weight and execution of the design to be more effective than a broadsword.

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

ok its been a week lets do the next battle...

Votes:

Longsword: 4
Broadsword: 0

Winner:
Longsword

next battle:

Katana:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgrllSaCwjnVh6FtTjhXqmrcB8geZI-wWV5Lk738kEEiAV8OfVdw

Vs

Claymore:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgECgrjCp-iL11pBJjOm8CsmWjnRiPtSTYuBiP-dLCaYGGeBLERQ

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

Well... the Scot has to choose to scottish thingy... CLAYMORE

*added this current battle thingy*

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

This battle is entirely one sided. Allow me to explain...

Katanas actually sucked, because the steel they were made from was very weak, and would often break. The reason japanese swordsmiths are legendary for their skills is because only master swordsmiths could make such weak swords viable. So, even though a Katana will have been made by a more skilled smith than a Claymore would have been, the Claymore would actually have been much stronger, because European smiths had access to much stronger steel.

In short: Claymores or nothing

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I also think the katana is a little bit overrated... even though it looks cool when handled by a prof, but so does a claymore. The katana has a very sharp edge, but even if it is made of good steel, the claymore still has the strength and a bigger guard, which always comes in handy. And the Scottish touch sort of appeals more to me than the Japanese.

So, Claymore it is.

Omegap12
Omegap12
1,980 posts
Shepherd

I have to take the Claymore.

I dont know that much about the weapons THEMSELVES, but i can use them effectively. I like everything in the Claymore much more than the Katana. So yea...

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Ok I gotta be fair here. A katana is likely to break at the handle when struck by such a very large blade, however a skilled swordsman would easily be able to put a Japanese curved sword (Katana is the Japanese word for sword not the official name of the weapon) between the mans ribs before he could bring it down his head. I would have to cast my vote for the quick execution of the Curved Sword. To correct some things I saw on the last page a hand and half sword has a slightly longer handle so that you can better balance using fingers from your other hand. A broadsword is just a sword with a broad blade. And I think a better match up would have been the claymore and the Zweihander (the zwiehander is really just like a skinny claymore) and the Japanese curved sword versus the Chinese Doa.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

easily be able to put a Japanese curved sword (Katana is the Japanese word for sword not the official name of the weapon) between the mans ribs

What was japanese armour made from? Papier Mache? A katana would be useless against European plate. It's not strong enough to give the repeated concussive blows needed to injure a wearer. It's also too unwieldy to be useful for poking into gaps in armour. (And could snap doing so)
Showing 1-15 of 102