Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Are white males portrayed as "wimps" by the media?

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 3:31am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

have you considered that since there are so many white males in the country, some commercials just happen to have dinky white guys?

That could be the case if it was a "real people" commercial ("We asked real people to do X"). This generally doesn't apply because most marketers select actors/actresses very carefully and style them to convey a visual message (such as adding pens in a plaid shirt pocket and glasses to exemplify the "geek" stereotype). Did you think the team that made the Cheerios commercial just happened to randomly choose a racially mixed family to film?

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 3:42am

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

662 posts

I'm white and I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

It doesn't mean racism, just as black or latino culture don't. White culture in my opinion is just things like going to the movies together on a Saturday night or a camping trip in the mountains (no offense, but I have never seen African Americans camping in my 15+ years of camping experience). IDK, I could be wrong, but I seldom see distinct groups of minorities out doing the "all American" stuff that whites do. I guess I've always assumed that they are in the inner city rapping and at soccer events and whatnot.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 5:36am

thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit

2,917 posts

It doesn't mean racism, just as black or latino culture don't. White culture in my opinion is just things like going to the movies together on a Saturday night or a camping trip in the mountains (no offense, but I have never seen African Americans camping in my 15+ years of camping experience). IDK, I could be wrong, but I seldom see distinct groups of minorities out doing the "all American" stuff that whites do. I guess I've always assumed that they are in the inner city rapping and at soccer events and whatnot.

as another person said before. they ARE minorities. the chance of you seeing a black person on the street is already much lower then seeing a white person, add to that the further elements that decrease chance like "going to movies" or even worse "camping" and the precentage drop.

going to the movies on saturday night isnt an american white thing. its pretty much an international thing to anybody who has a cinema. and camping is pretty much something only certain people with that hoby do. its really not anything special to white culture.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 12:22pm

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

1,546 posts

The answer is fairly simple, actually. Modern businesses are not willing to risk being perceived as being racist or promoting racism. If an advertizing agency has a commercial plot involving one bufoon, jerk, criminal, or similarly unflattering character in an otherwise "normal" cast, the worst thing they could do is give the role to a member of a racial minority. If the ad features people of both sexes, they may opt for a male character to avoid accusations of misogyny.

Yes, this is very juvenile as well as partially wrong.

6, 11, 13, 16, and 18 are very much wrong [...]

What about 4: No such thing as reverse racism? The author is using an overwhelming exception to rule out everything short of the greatest extreme, as though racism only applies to facist dictators bent on exterminating or enslaving all other races.

Also, 10 seems to be confusing racism-targeting with racism-promoting initiatives.

That could be the case if it was a "real people" commercial ("We asked real people to do X").

Not even. "Real people" includes paid actors. I sincerely doubt that more than 1/3 of the people you see there are voicing their own opinions. The rest are being selected for their opinions.

White culture in my opinion is just things like going to the movies together on a Saturday night or a camping trip in the mountains

Neither of these strike me as particularly "American" activities, or even things caucasians would be more likely to partake in.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:31pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

That could be the case if it was a "real people" commercial ("We asked real people to do X"). This generally doesn't apply because most marketers select actors/actresses very carefully and style them to convey a visual message (such as adding pens in a plaid shirt pocket and glasses to exemplify the "geek" stereotype). Did you think the team that made the Cheerios commercial just happened to randomly choose a racially mixed family to film?

Regardless, if a country's population is 90% black, then 90% of the people in commercials will likely be black. Some of them will be manly, some will be dinky. Which was my point.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 1:51pm

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

662 posts

What about 4: No such thing as reverse racism? The author is using an overwhelming exception to rule out everything short of the greatest extreme, as though racism only applies to facist dictators bent on exterminating or enslaving all other races.

Also, 10 seems to be confusing racism-targeting with racism-promoting initiatives.

I know, I just didn't have time to get to all of them.

Neither of these strike me as particularly "American" activities, or even things caucasians would be more likely to partake in.

Brothaz don't camp.

As for pretty much everything else that has been said on this page after my last post- I can agree with it.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 2:17pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

FYI, I wasn't supporting the list when I linked to it. It was just for discussion.

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 3:32pm

09philj

09philj

1,229 posts

Brothaz don't camp.

Apart from these ones:
http://outdoorafro.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/dudley1.jpg

Posted Jul 14, '14 at 3:56pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,079 posts

Knight

I tend to go with the "target audience" explanation. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of subconscious thing going, but I do not think that white males are systematically portrayed as "wimps".

Posted Jul 15, '14 at 4:00pm

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,138 posts

I tend to go with the "target audience" explanation. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of subconscious thing going, but I do not think that white males are systematically portrayed as "wimps".

^ This.

Tech/car advertisements *can* look somewhat "whimpy" (There's bound to be a better word for it) but I think (as HahiHa) pointed out, it's the target audience - thus, white, professional males.

And to throw it in, surely there isn't a "White culture"?
I'm Irish and white, OP is American and white, and our culture is 100% different.

Reply to Are white males portrayed as "wimps" by the media?

You must be logged in to post a reply!