ForumsPopular Media90's rap versus today's rap?

15 8943
McSwagga
McSwagga
52 posts
Nomad

IMO I think 90s rap was WAY better than today's rap just because rappers like Tupac, The Notorious B.I.G, NWA, etc, (honestly I prefer west coast rap, but that's for another time)

Today's rap is about fashion, money, drugs, women, and who has the biggest (yeah...)

Which rap do you think is better? 90s rap or today's rap. I'd like to hear your opinions.

• 15 Replies
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I prefer 90s rap lyrics, but modern beats.
Also, not *all* modern rap is about those listed, there's still some pretty amazing lyrics, and if you take into consideration the underground scene you have some pretty deep material.

McSwagga
McSwagga
52 posts
Nomad

Jeffrey you have a good point modern beats are pretty good, but the lyrics are terrible (with the exception of Eminem, who actually has good beats AND lyrics)

The chance of finding good lyrics these days is quite rare but its there.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I like 90's rap better. Today's rap just seems so prerecorded and has none of the thought or effort put into it like in the golden age. I agree with you that Shady is the exception to this rule though.

Seashark001
Seashark001
613 posts
Nomad

I wasn't alive to hear 90's rap, but i must say I enjoy 60% of modern rap, both lyrics and beat. I know Eminem released two albums in the late 90's. These were:

Infinite: 1,000 total sales
Slim Shady LP: 19,000,000 total sales

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

A friend of mine put it to me like this:
When you talk about the older rappers, they had something to talk about, like growing up in the streets, getting shot at, drama like that. Now Snoop Dog's kid is rapping. What does he have to rap about? he was born in the lap of luxury. The problem is that people don't care about what music means anymore. It doesn't matter as long as the beat is something for *****s to shake their ***** to.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Today's rap is about fashion, money, drugs, women, and who has the biggest (yeah...)

ITT: Let's ignore any other rapers that aren't the ones shoved down our face by mainstream media

"Modern rap" (aka mainstream rap) is what it is because it follows the interests of the populace

p.s. Eminem is good but grossly overrated

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

Watsky, Dumbfoundead, Big Wax, Ray William Johnson doesn't anymore but you can still find YourFavoriteMartian on youtube. This is what gives me hope for rap. You should listen to songs like "We can't all be Heroes" "Limousine"
"NEED" or "Doin Damage" by Wax. "Wounded Healer" "Strong as oak" "Moral of the Story" or "Sloppy seconds" By Watsky, Trust me the name is makes it sound way worse than it is. "Alien." or "Take over the World" by YourFavoriteMartian. "Clear" "Bubba Kush" "Are we There Yet?" and "Growing young." By DFD (DumbFounDead)
Most of these guys have done colaberations. Wax and Watsky, Watsky and DFD, YFM and DFD, YFM and Wax. You should listen to "Walking in the Rain." A Wax and DFD colaberation listed under the name Clockwise. "Give a Hater a Hug." a Wax and Watsky collaberation. That's really all I have to say but really though the best ones are "We can't all be Heroes" "Wounded Healer." "Are we There Yet?" "Growing Young." "Alien" and "Walking in the Rain."

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Watsky is definitely a good example !

Nobody cares is absolutely unreal. Though in a lyrical sense, not beat sense.
Suppose that's what matters though.

wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

I think they are both good honestly, I can listen to both Chief Keef and 2pac within the same hour. The way I see it, don't listen to rap for the lyrics, listen for the beats. Besides, in my opinion the lyrics are the exact same from both time periods of rap. Maybe with a little variance but they both have the same feeling.

DarthTyrannausarus
DarthTyrannausarus
538 posts
Nomad

Eminem is gross.Straight up gross. He talks about all the things that SHOULDN'T be in a rap song and screws my ears up every time i try to listen to it. You want some GOOD rap? Go listen to Lecrae. He is clean and has a nice flow and he's a great role model too, not like some people we know about...
*cough cough -Eminem*

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

He talks about all the things that SHOULDN'T be in a rap song

Anything can be in a rap song..rap isn't about the lyrical content but the manner in which it is delivered.

Interestingly enough, the subgenres of rap can actually be broken down by their lyrical content, unlike other genres of music.
Frank_Frooton
Frank_Frooton
4,002 posts
Bard

It's hard to listen to the actual music when your ears are being assaulted by....
older rap is definitely better.

NyappyMaka
NyappyMaka
2 posts
Chamberlain

The current rap is not really rap. Too much electro. A good old Tupac nothing better.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

90's R-rap w-was so-so g-g-good!

T-today's rap is so b-bad!

p.s. you guys are cherry picking your music like crazy. 90's rap and today's rap have NO difference. The difference is what is being played on the radio and what is popular. You can still find "90's rap" today and you can find "today's rap" from the 90's

Oh, and pls no make me have content warning for song links here. This is a rap thread, graphic content should be expected from the musics linked

Gzyniu
Gzyniu
1 posts
Nomad

Nowadays money only matters...

Showing 1-15 of 15