ForumsGamesGC CS: Suggestion: Templates for combining gems

7 2272
8thseaofrhye
8thseaofrhye
12 posts
Peasant

Hi Y'all!
I have been following the forums 'bout GCCS quite closely and haven't seen this come up anywhere, therefore I'd like to state this idea real quick.

People have been publishing scipts for combining methods and a lot of players seem to use macros to the same effect. IMO this is not cheating.
Why not intergrate this feature in one of the nest updates? The idea would be that you could put together your starting gem in a screen accessible from the map. It would essentially consist of a combinig area similar to the one you see while playing a level. Using your starting mana you could produce and save 2 or 3 (or more?) gems.
During gameplay you could "summon" a copy of one of those gems, if you got enough mana. The "summoning"-button(s) could be included in the options screen, so that the game has to pause while you use the feature.
A combining-feature would work similarily: Before playing a level you could save a combining method, which uses only one basic gem. During gameplay you'd then have to select a gem, enter the options screen and press the "combining"-button.

That's the basic idea. Am I making any sense? Or is this too complex to be implemented in this kind of flashgame?

• 7 Replies
psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

I really like that idea. It would save lots of time while not making the game easier. I just don't know whether there are enough players who would use that fancy feature.

8thseaofrhye
8thseaofrhye
12 posts
Peasant

If it were an integral feature of the game, more players would look into it, I suppose. Additionally, some templates could be gathered by finishing certain levels at a given difficulty...

BTW, @psorek: Thanks for all the hard work invested! A big part of the fun I get out of the gemcraft series is reading those sophisticated threads in the forums, and you have been one (if not the) major source of valueable information.

Big shout-outs to @Astroshak , @thunderrider , @fractalman , @cronos51 and countless others as well!!!

callmeishmael
callmeishmael
57 posts
Nomad

For some time I've been wanting a Gem Crafting screen that would be accessible in-game like the Options screen. As dedicated screen it could easily have 64 slots for crafting, a number of Save slots and simple macro capability. Gems in the Save slots would be persistent between games and available for their total mana cost. Finally, my ideal Crafting screen would be have import/export options to the on-game inventory.

Lamentably, as psorek observed, such a fancy feature would only be of use to those of us compulsive-obsessive types who push the game to its limits. It would make a nice addition to the pouch although I don't know enough about Flash to say with certainty that it wouldn't break something else. This game can already push Flash beyond its capabilities. Those of us who've seen the "Unresponsive Script" popup can attest to that.

xroads42
xroads42
87 posts
Farmer

the easy way would be that when you press u you will get the best resulting gem

8thseaofrhye
8thseaofrhye
12 posts
Peasant

But that would be equivalent to removing all possibilities for useful combining schemes!!! That would definitly be easy, but supergemming - or however you like to call it in order to provide for disambiguation amongst different combining methods - has become a beloved traditional part of the gemcraft series, and should imo be preserved in some way...

Astroshak
Astroshak
268 posts
Peasant

The only way for U to get the best possible gem would be to not allow gems to "eat" lower grade gems at all.

I can buy a G4 gem. I then have a ton of possibilities for improving it.

Duplicate it and combine with the dupe : also known as U upgrading (since that's what U does).

Duplicate it and buy a G3 gem. Have the dupe eat the G3 before the original gem eats the dupe.

Duplicate it and buy two G3 gems. Have the dupe eat them one at a time before the original eats the dupe.
(I could go on with this for a few more G3's before this loses its cost-effectiveness.)

Buy a G3 gem. Have the G4 eat the G3.

Buy two G3 gems. Have the G4 eat the G3's.

Buy three G3 gems, and nine G2 gems. Have the G3's eat three G2's each, then have the G4 eat the G3's.

I could go on. Not all of those are going to have the same result, however. Some of those result in a G5, others result in a G4. Its more than possible to result in a G4 that is stronger than the G5 while still maintaining the same cost.

Additionally, negating a gem's ability to eat a gem of a lower grade would not stop "weaving" or "spec'ing" (whichever one chooses to call that particular technique) which happens to result in a stronger gem than just U'ing it.

No, I think I agree with the idea that gem creation should be in its own paused screen. The gem box on the right side is still valuable (it would be how you would move gems from the creator to the actual playing field) but the ability to save routines would save plenty of time.

thunderrider
thunderrider
641 posts
Peasant

I just skimmed this but yeah it'd be awesome to have a sandbox where gems cost 0 mana to create, so you can find out the best supergemming methods and stuff without having to restart for more mana and all :P

BTW, has anyone tried the 64 combine in GCL? I a while ago did the 32 spec(the old version of 22:10 as O/Lime) and 16 combine and it worked better than specced/regular U.

For killgem amps at G20 equivalent it had 66x crit VS plain 48x I think. Very epic c:

Showing 1-7 of 7