ForumsThe TavernFirearms!

20 9698
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

So I noticed there isn't really a general firearms thread. I had attempted to make one in the past but I made the mistake of adding the element of polotics. This is about guns and only guns. Big guns, small guns, skinny guns, fat guns, short guns, tall guns, I'm calling all guns. Now everyone report to the gun range. Well I added a rap song reference and got bored. So what kind of guns do you guys have, which would you like to have? What questions do you have about firearms that others have used? Discuss here. So do any of you guys use an AK? Me I would like to get an Kalishnokov AK-47 Semi automatic. I would also like an M-40 and M-1903 Springfield. I think my favorite era for weapons was the WW-II era. I find my favorite calibers to be 308., 10 gauge, 45. acp, and 22. LR. 22. LR is hard to find and a little overrated but any person with experience can tell you that 22. LR is popular for a reason. So what about you guys?

• 20 Replies
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

That will make your heart rate go up some.

And your bowels void.
We have a lot of really old ammo, from like 50 years ago. So we have boxes on boxes on boxes of the stuff!

My step dad has had the same box of .308 rounds for like four years. Then he has another box that he hasn't even opened. Still can't get a lot of 12 gauge shells though. I remember trying to hunt doves with a 20. gauge, didn't work to well. Dove hunting was also how I learned that I prefer Remingtons to Mossbergs. The Mossberg I was using had been sitting in a dusty shed for a couple weeks and I was using some crappy old rusty shells and the gun kept jamming. Since it's illegal to bird hunt in Alabama when your gun can't hold more than three shells I only had three shells in the gun. So if I did manage to fire the blasted thing I only had three shots (not a lot for dove hunting). So we sat out there most of the day and only saw like three flocks and someone on the property right next to the one we were on was acting stupid and shooting at them with a rifle and scaring them off so yah it wasn't the greatest hunting. I managed to get two though and between me, my step, his friend, and his friend's son we had enough to make a delicious stew in a crockpot and we enjoyed dinner at this dude Bruce's house. What do you guys think makes the best steak? I just realized that this has basicaly turned into a hunting thread. Makes sense I guess though.
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

The only thing I get to hunt(or want to hunt) are paper flying saucers. (Scout Association rules forbid the shooting of human or animal shaped targets)

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

By the way, think hunting bears is scary? Try getting sneaked up on by a brown bear that's less than 10 paces away when you are fishing alone and unarmed at a river that's far away from civilization! That will make your heart rate go up some.

Bear is sneaking..so it sees you as prey
10 paces away..could easily cover that faster than you can blink

Story?
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

I managed to cut a tin can in half with that Beeman air rifle. Took about six shots. As for interesting targets fill a 2-liter bottle with water and freeze it. You can pump it full of 22 ammo all day.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Bear is sneaking..so it sees you as prey

Ah, yes. You're right. It wasn't sneaking, it just surprised me. It didn't care that I was there.

Story?

I posted it in my Camping Trips thread a while back.
Showing 16-20 of 20