ForumsWEPREbola Outbreak in The US?

50 22738
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the news, US doctors from West Africa who are helping curb the spread of Ebola there have contracted the disease themselves. They are being brought here to continue treatment. If they are brought here in the US, is there a possibility for an Ebola outbreak in the US?

• 50 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

As long as the children don't come into contact with his blood, sweat, and/or spittle, they will be fine.

Anywhoo, so the guy who is infected with Ebola in the US is in deep doo-doo. He wouldn't have even been in the US if he didn't lie on his health questionaire. So now it looks like he's being prosecuted.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

"outbreak"

I don't plan on playing in anyone's urine, feces, or other fun bodily fluids so it seems I'll come out of this just fine. Don't know about anyone else though.

DarthTyrannausarus
DarthTyrannausarus
538 posts
Nomad

I don't think this is a big problem, 'cause who would wanna go near these people anyway? Plus, I'm not going to Africa any time soon, so yeah.

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

I don't plan on playing in anyone's urine, feces, or other fun bodily fluids so it seems I'll come out of this just fine.Don't know about anyone else though.

Yeah, but say if an infected spits on you. Then what? Who knows how many people that guy spit on before he got to the hospital. And I don't mean intentional. Say that you're talking to someone, and you accidentally spit on someone. Like that.
DarthTyrannausarus
DarthTyrannausarus
538 posts
Nomad

Yeah, but say if an infected spits on you. Then what? Who knows how many people that guy spit on before he got to the hospital. And I don't mean intentional. Say that you're talking to someone, and you accidentally spit on someone. Like that.

I agree....but you say that like they are zombies.These things are curable, and I won't be going around an "infected" anytime soon.
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

I think that I have gotten a bit carried away. Sorry about that.
:{

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Yeah, but say if an infected spits on you. Then what?

I sue him for all he/she is worth and then some BD
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

The media has learned from history too: if it can scare, it can air.

Most of the media, I'm sure, overhypes things just so they can get more viewers in.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Most of the media, I'm sure, overhypes things just so they can get more viewers in.

Or some vaccine pushed by greedy drug companies who paid big money to a network to scare people into paying for an unnecessary shot.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I do agree that the media likes to make dramatic headlines. That doesn't mean that we can take it lightly though. It shouldn't be a problem for those countries who take the necessary precautions, but Ebola is a very virulent disease, more so than all those recent flus. The situation in West Africa is and stays dramatic.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I do agree that the media likes to make dramatic headlines. That doesn't mean that we can take it lightly though. It shouldn't be a problem for those countries who take the necessary precautions, but Ebola is a very virulent disease, more so than all those recent flus.

I'm aware of this, I was speaking in general. Every year the media pushes for flu vaccines. I must have had the flu once in the last 17 years and I never wasted my money on a flu shot.

One of the scary thing about the Ebola virus is the bloody diarrhea.
You basically poop blood every hours, losing all your electrolytes and you get weaker and weaker.

I have Ulcerative Colitis and I had this bloody diarrhea thing where I sat on the toilet every hours...
I lost 31 pounds in 3 weeks.
When I went to the hospital the doctor said if I have waited two more days I would have ended up in intensive care.

Knowing how bad it is, add up all the other symptoms on top of it, its no wonder this virus is so deadly.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Every year the media pushes for flu vaccines. I must have had the flu once in the last 17 years and I never wasted my money on a flu shot.

I think what you might have is the cold. Flu (influenza) is a different illness.

Or, you could have had the flu, but you recovered well from it, since you're not in the high risk group. But influenza kills off hundreds of thousands of people each year, so I don't think the media is hyping up flu vaccines one bit.
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Knowing how bad it is, add up all the other symptoms on top of it, its no wonder this virus is so deadly.

That is true, but the only good thing about Ebola is that it is not airborne.
Or is it?

Anyway, I believe all of us here has a better chance of catching
Enterovirus D-68 than Ebola.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

That is true, but the only good thing about Ebola is that it is not airborne.
Or is it?

Ebola is not airborne, luckily. Also it apparently only becomes contagious as soon as the symptoms kick in, so if the infected gets symptoms days after arriving in America, the people in the plane should be fine.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I think what you might have is the cold. Flu (influenza) is a different illness.

You might be right. I was couching a lot though and I had muscle ache.
Showing 16-30 of 50