ForumsWEPREbola Outbreak in The US?

50 22772
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the news, US doctors from West Africa who are helping curb the spread of Ebola there have contracted the disease themselves. They are being brought here to continue treatment. If they are brought here in the US, is there a possibility for an Ebola outbreak in the US?

• 50 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

If they are being brought back with the knowledge that they are infected, I am sure everything is done to prevent them to infect anyone else. The real danger likely lies in people that don't know they are infected yet.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I am honestly not sure what you are trying to tell after the (*). It seems like you are arguing against your own first paragraph.

Anyway the OP did not state there was any Ebola infection spread in America at the moment, but just states his concern about the possibility.

Meanwhile here are a few Q&A about Ebola to read. Personally I think there is always a possibility, but the article does a good job of sounding comforting.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I've always thought ebola was a very freaky virus after reading Executive Orders and Rainbow Six.

That said, I trust IFLS when they say the virus is unlikely to spread in a developed country, if it really does only spread once symptoms appear.

~~~Darth Caedus

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Ebola is pretty nice in that despite how horrifying the symptoms are, it's really easy to stop it from spreading... as long as it doesn't develop the ability to become airborne again.

Voyage2
Voyage2
650 posts
Nomad

It's impossible ! Unless they sent many infected peoples. It's just a two doctor, somehow they need result if the medicine work.

Edit: Hope that you cannot get it from Air. >_>

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

as long as it doesn't develop the ability to become airborne again.

Do we know how it is spread?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Do we know how it is spread?

Through contact of bodily fluids. See the paragraph under "How does it spread?" in the link I posted above
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

See the paragraph under "How does it spread?" in the link I posted above

Oh. Pshh.....my bad.
Seashark001
Seashark001
613 posts
Nomad

I doubt that there will be a major Ebola outbreak in the US, purely because there is both a moral and western sense of maintaining hygiene, and not pooping, spewing, urinating on each other. But, saying that, there is a risk to those in the medical profession, due to the amount of bodily fluids that are excreted within the premises.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

A case was confirmed in Texas. Someone traveled to West Africa and didn't show symptoms until he came back.

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

A case was confirmed in Texas. Someone traveled to West Africa and didn't show symptoms until he came back.

Hopefully, the man didn't come into contact with a lot of people, or else...
(O_O)
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

So if I get it right, so far we have one person who contracted the virus directly in West Africa, not within the US. And since Ebola is only contagious from the moment when the symptoms appear, the chances are slim that he infected someone else.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

All we need is a couple of people from West Africa who enters illegally, have contact with a dozen people in a public place and the whole epidemic starts.
:O

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

@SSTG

I think the infected person already did that for us...

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

News Flash!

[url]http://www.aol.com/article/2014/10/01/schoolchildren-have-come-into-contact-with-texas-ebola-patient/20970709/?icid=maing-grid7%7Caol20%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D538917[/url]

Showing 1-15 of 50