ForumsWEPREbola Outbreak in The US?

50 22773
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the news, US doctors from West Africa who are helping curb the spread of Ebola there have contracted the disease themselves. They are being brought here to continue treatment. If they are brought here in the US, is there a possibility for an Ebola outbreak in the US?

• 50 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I haven't heard of any outbreak outside of Africa, though I didn't really follow the topic recently. I think the safety measures are working for now. They have been working for every single local outbreak in Africa since the virus was discovered, the problem was that the recent outbreak in West Africa was just too big.

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

They have been working for every single local outbreak in Africa since the virus was discovered, the problem was that the recent outbreak in West Africa was just too big.

Well, according to BBC, the number of infected has risen to at least 21,000 people, but the death toll has slightly leveled at 8000 dead.

[url]http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28755033[/url]

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Could this have been intentionally hyped so people focus more on personal hygiene going into winter? The flu vaccine was expected to be about 1/4th as effective as usual. The best way to avoid both the flu and ebola is to wash your hands.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Could this have been intentionally hyped so people focus more on personal hygiene going into winter? The flu vaccine was expected to be about 1/4th as effective as usual. The best way to avoid both the flu and ebola is to wash your hands.

The only ones I see who'd have an interest in this would have been the ministry of health or what the name is; and they surely already encourage people to wash hands regularly as a day-by-day safety measure; so I see only marginal interests at play here, certainly not enough to make this hypothesis plausible. Concerning the flu vaccine, it's efficacy fluctuates from year to year, and you cannot rely on an epidemic every time it seems to work a bit less.
Showing 46-49 of 50