Forums

ForumsFlash Games

GCCS: Thoughts on getting from level 200 through 1000

Posted Aug 15, '14 at 6:26pm

Erile

Erile

297 posts

UgAhgItHurts

To answer your question, all the guides and related links on the site are for premium (magician's pouch) players. There has yet to be any helpful advice or guides for players who do not have the pouch or are otherwise are not able to get the pouch.

Posted Aug 15, '14 at 8:04pm

UgAhgItHurts

UgAhgItHurts

210 posts

I glanced at the threads you bumped from April/May. Perhaps for those guides, but they missed a lot of the obvious. (In those days you just needed or+black+beam tower then amp or+black for billions of xp, of course that was patched out, but they had white or black amps for ages too and that was even more insane that what's left.)

Fusion + white or black (less effective non-premium, eventually way better prem) in gem is enough of a boost to get red into too many chains territory fast, but having red available on all fields is really nice.

The gem types, a bit of starting mana (level 100 is fine to get a mana farm to go critical) and non-ridiculous skill selection is all you need. The first compass reward which you can get non-premium is an ok field, there's a handful of others that have red + white and a non-horrible layout (few entrances, room for amps, orb not right next to same--I think some of them are the complete on glaring map rewards). It's not premium anger a wave to 10^24 armor and perma-freeze on a trap for stupid mana, but it'll build nicely, it just needs a decent number of waves for you to get your feet under you before you can get most of your xp (a couple billion on those certain few friendly fields).

So you can do two things to make sure that you're right. Tell us how you did on the vision fields (the red+or one you should easily be able to get 10k xp on if not 100k), and provide your save game so we can see exactly what you have to work with and can say do this field with this.

Posted Aug 16, '14 at 12:38am

Erile

Erile

297 posts

Hey, I only bumped one from April/May, and that's only because I spent months researching this :P (after asking around on the forums for months and not getting any answers )

Even combining red with black or white in available fields non-premium, at my level you never see a chain hit more than 2 or 3 (assuming you survive after wasting tons of mana on making extremely weak gems with low chain hit values).

By the way, compass is never available to non-premium. As it is currently explained in the guide, you have to be able to access all the compass fields to get the rewards from any of them. (Not that it matters as I cannot do the compass fields because my computer/connection is too fast - I don't have a loading screen for fields, therefore I cannot set the gem levels).

Regarding the vision fields, I passed all three of them easily the first time I played them. (non-premium only gets V1, V2, V4)

Posted Aug 16, '14 at 5:48am

UgAhgItHurts

UgAhgItHurts

210 posts

Non-premium, this is level 250, my other slot is still too low, I restarted to get a shot at the first compass level. I need glaring to do anything interesting there at least.

Skills at 24 max, those being colors, mana and traps. Some crit and slow, 9 or 12 I think. 4k starting mana (I should free up some skills). Y5 because no cheesy white or black (non-premium, forget black probably, but white will amaze), we have to make our own cheese here. Glaring, 151 levels without hardeners (beacon freebie because indoors, giants because more giants makes everything gemcraft easier instead of harder like they seem to think and so on...) Also no gem weaving stuff, you need skill points so the 7% increase in specials is multiplied a few times and even then, it's not worth a gem grade until the 30s.

Slow traps start next to traps at level 3 (1 red 3 blue then upgrade). 50% for 2 sec, I'll take it. Level 7 is 80% for 6 sec, it gets better with white like everything.

Mana trap 1 red to 3 mana. Kill gems 1 part red to 7 parts yellow. You need monsters on your traps, and multiple at a time to make red do something (1.15 or somewhere changed from how GCL had it, traps don't self-chain). Another difference from GCL is angering: don't count on anything above level 1 paying out in mana. Hope things are obvious, I did this at 9x speed and wasn't trying to wring every scrap out I could, not getting close to the billion xp I have on this map in 15 minutes, this is just show that it's possible.

So the slide show, and it's not like premium where you start with multiple grade 10s lol:
http://i.imgur.com/c5YcxmV.jpg
Already paid for itself:
http://i.imgur.com/OVfOP6l.jpg
It's not premium + white or black stupid, but it's getting stupid:
http://i.imgur.com/vOY5B7y.jpg

Hope that helps.

Posted Aug 16, '14 at 11:01am

thunderrider

thunderrider

639 posts

NICE job there!

Posted Aug 16, '14 at 7:01pm

UgAhgItHurts

UgAhgItHurts

210 posts

It's level 250, you can abuse that field a whole lot more than that, and fields with red + white way more still. But the problem is I started level 250, which might be a lot higher than him.

It's a lot harder to help in this game v. GCL, since there you just set the skill points and played the same game. You do that here, you'll be asking why he doesn't have grade 14 gems by wave 5 since wizard level changes the game in a lot of ways (and I noticed I used a lot of those words interchangeably above and shouldn't have, I suck at writing how-to). That's why I always ask for the save file

I'm close to glaring on my level 40 game, but barrage is really nice to have too. So get those, and I'll see what kind of crazy I can do with that (and remember to back up that save since after everything will be stupid easy) and hopefully that'll be illustrative enough of how to mana farm your way to stupid and pointless.

I really didn't go into angering. Anger as much as you can handle with mana you don't mind throwing away (a couple % of your total mana per wave, 6 to 12 bombs so pick your gem grade with that info--and double or triple that for giants because that's where the xp is). You need a steady stream of critters on your farm, otherwise it just sits there looking pretty and doing nothing for you. As I said before, don't depend on gem angering alone paying off the mana spent on it, it's not as simple as grade x = y more monsters here.

last edited Aug 16 2014 07:05 pm by UgAhgItHurts

Posted Aug 16, '14 at 7:32pm

Astroshak

Astroshak

257 posts

For angering, figure out what your killing gems are capable of handling, then anger to just under that point.

If your killing gems can handle 250,000 hit point monsters, no point in only angering the monsters to 90,000 hit points. Not angering to just under the limit of what your killing gem can handle costs you experience at the end.

BTW, Erile, the reason the Pouch is so for manafarming is twofold. First, it allows you access to the Chain Hit gem on stages that do not naturally give it to you. Second, it allows you to use the Bloodbound and Poolbound skills, which dramatically increase the power of your gems. I personally did not bother to put many (and, after the first few farms, removed them entirely) skill points into Chain Hit until I was over WL 2000. The reason I put the points back into it was because the skill points increase the damage from the gem, and I did not want to reduce the damage of my killing gems by putting inferior materials into them.

Posted Aug 17, '14 at 8:06pm

UgAhgItHurts

UgAhgItHurts

210 posts

Alright, level 48, I've got barrage and a talisman full of garbage--14% freeze duration and 200 more starting mana being the only highlights. E6: Glaring + 7 banishment + 7 giant (c'mon, why can't non-prem have the not make things harder one and actually makes things easier one lol). I know if I hit beacon I'll get a large range billion hp unsocketing beacon somewhere horrible lol, don't want to deal with that at this level.

Started mana gem + tri-colored whatever to kill (probably 2 slow/1 poison/1 armor, upgrade with slow, toss for red/yellow at higher level).

Hard to anger much, armor is a factor. Slow traps first then a red/or trap. With some angering, freezing on trap and other such nursing, it was able to pay for its own upgrades til grade 9. Amps suck at this level compared to gem grade, didn't bother much--on kill gem of course, range and a little more fire rate help tons.

Last 3 waves were million hp giants. Managed to kill them, but it wasn't pretty (had to sell the mana trap to upgrade kill gem to 10), 170k xp. That's 10 more levels and a resolve never to try manafarming this low level again, so maybe when I hit 75

last edited Aug 17 2014 08:10 pm by UgAhgItHurts

Posted Aug 17, '14 at 8:26pm

Astroshak

Astroshak

257 posts

UgAhgItHurts, you can "block" beacons by judicious use of Walls, Towers, and Amplifiers. They do not appear on paths, either. So go ahead and use Beacon Storm.

Posted Aug 18, '14 at 4:24am

UgAhgItHurts

UgAhgItHurts

210 posts

But even with walls, you're talking 300+ mana, and at that level, that's a big deal in the first few waves, plus it'll mean more hp for existing beacons that you probably need to blow up fast. I'm not saying it's not worth tons of xp, but you're just not ready to deal with that mess at level 50. Well maybe you are, I'm not--and it's extremely random, anything from 4 to 7 digits is going to show up

So news. Level 63ish. Always had a soft spot for D2 and omigod red. So let's glaring, crank banish to the max and maybe giants (it was 8 multiplier total, don't think I maxed giants--and I probably should have, they were cake). Didn't do mana trap, but mana trapS. Complete the walls, make a grade 5 orange, be thankful I have mana left over. Two traps, one 1r3b, one 1r3or, placed near the bend, gem in one of the existing towers. Tried angering the first few waves, didn't look good, restarted without. Beamed orange gem, bought a pure yellow for killing things, upped traps without adding more red (3 hits forever) as their hit totals said they'd paid for another until I have 4 mana traps in a line.

When they were up to level 7, mana started to accumulate like a few k per round from them. Combined them to a 9, upped that before my yellow gem. By wave 65 I had an 11 r/o trap that did 4 fire rate, 3 hits, 35 mana per. Cost of a grade 11 is 170k, it starts with 2 mana, goes to 3, 4.5, 6, etc, think it earned it's keep with its 25k hits along the line (and also paid for a grade 11 yellow). Cashed it in when most of the creeps were dead and there were the late spawning spires with 3 and 6 kk hp, gah (and I'd killed a shadow earlier too). Yellow grade 12, lots of curse and specials and 380k xp. Yay level 74 and 12 skill cap so I can do more horrible things.

We already knew multiple low grade traps work, so not much new there, but maybe the travelogue will be useful. Still not confident in making one mana trap pay out enough yet, but can't hurt to try.

Reply to GCCS: Thoughts on getting from level 200 through 1000

You must be logged in to post a reply!