ForumsNews and FeedbackAd-Free Gaming

162 64148
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Hate ads? You now have an option to remove them from the site. Just click the remove button next to ads and for a nominal fee you can remove the ads from the site.

Also, there may be a super secret forum. I mean... err NO forum, that doesn't exist.

• 162 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

We better shell out TONS of extra features to appease those who would be disgruntled by this.

raunchy
raunchy
40 posts
Blacksmith

im disgruntled by this. the whole reason I made an account here many years ago was to stop the ads that popped up before games. then a few years later that perk of being a member was removed. now you want me to send you money to play a game that is free?

every page on this site has no less than 6 ads on it. I understand it takes money to run the site but at a point there is just putting your hand out a bit too much.

it may be time for AG to leave my fav list. between too few new games and way too many cookie cutter auto play MMOs being added as filler the time feels right now thanks to this.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@Raunchy The site needs money to keep the lights on. You're upset about ads. You're upset about helping pitch in to pay the cost directly. How would you suggest we keep our servers running and pay game developers?

Games are not just created without cost, people spend their time and make a living off creating content you play. You enjoy them for "free" because instead of paying with cash, you pay with your time by watching ads. That's the way it's always been. Ads don't pay as much as they once did however, which is why you see the amount and types of ads increasing.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@Freakenstein The cost is fairly low actually, there is value even without extra features. But we sure do want some!

boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

@Freakenstein this IS a feature. People have asked for a way to remove ads for years, and we gave it to them. You don't have to use it, so why would you be disgruntled?

And we are actually going to add more features to it, anyway. So it wont just be about the ads

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

And we are actually going to add more features to it, anyway. So it wont just be about the ads

This is interesting. Might I suggest a way to build rep to put toward a trial of something like this? (Like trade xx armor points and be ad-free for xx days)
MerlinCross
MerlinCross
56 posts
Nomad

You know there's this little thing that does it for free.

Which leads to the site taking on MMOs to earn money. Which then floods the site with even worse, annoying and intrusive ads.

Which lead to people using it more. And thus the cycle continues.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@MerlinCross That's a great way to kill a website, and also punish all the game designers that make the content you play. It's not a good thing.

MerlinCross
MerlinCross
56 posts
Nomad

Oh wow the name got removed. I guess it makes sense though I used the name as a catch all term for all the programs that do it. I'm sure there's more than one.

Name drop aside(won't do it again), isn't it also kinda punishing that all the flash game designers have to share "New game" screen time with MMOs that have large advertising budgets, are usually in the news next to it, and are the featured games at the bottom automatically? Just saying.

More to the point just pointing out the weird cycle of blocking the ads. Company/site gets bigger needs more cash, ads flood the site, visitors stop coming or blocking, site needs a new way to get reliable cash in.

Personally to me this 'ay to block ads' seems to be just a band aid to the problem. Granted I don't have data or business knowledge to back me up here. However, I do look forward to seeing what other things AG cooks up to probably sweeten this offer. On top of the super secret forum that doesn't exist.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

@Freakenstein this IS a feature. People have asked for a way to remove ads for years, and we gave it to them. You don't have to use it, so why would you be disgruntled?

I'm talking about those who would be disgruntled, it's certainly not me who is lol
rychus
rychus
1,282 posts
Farmer

Personally, I do not care about the ads. As long as they don't bother me with flashing lights and high-pitched squeals, I wont complain. But if the ads want me to blow up a tank or something I get sort of angry. I fall for that trap every time and end up going to some random site. :P

raunchy
raunchy
40 posts
Blacksmith

it just annoying that ever year or so you guys change policy here. like I said, when the ads before games got started we were told to make an account and only guests would se these. a year or so later that perk of being a member was removed. oh well I can deal with that.

then the flood of crap cookie cutter P2W auto play MMOs come along, bundled with very few new games being added to the site. after playing 1 or 2 I stop clicking on anything labeled as MMO. that leaves maybe 2 new games a week most weeks. im slightly annoyed but fine.

now this just feels like I would be paying for nothing other than to not be annoyed. how long till more ads get added to the site to make up for lost revenue from the people not seeing ads? why are the forums nearly ad free? paste adds on this too if you are in such need of extra income.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

why are the forums nearly ad free? paste adds on this too if you are in such need of extra income.

People go to games more than the forums. It's not like people outside of the regular forumers would pay attention to these threads and posts.

Also I love how you're basically saying that they should remove ads by adding more ads.
Bender124
Bender124
481 posts
Peasant

Honestly I think if we can get enough people to visit armor games, then you could just make a package that permanently blocks ads. Also it gives the features you were all talking about.
PS, if your not(*coughsarcasmcough*) going to make a forum for ad blockers you should include a package for permanent forum usage or other features.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

We're definitely looking into adding new features to make it more fun and valuable.

Showing 1-15 of 162