ForumsNews and FeedbackAd-Free Gaming

162 64060
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Hate ads? You now have an option to remove them from the site. Just click the remove button next to ads and for a nominal fee you can remove the ads from the site.

Also, there may be a super secret forum. I mean... err NO forum, that doesn't exist.

• 162 Replies
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

Deleted for reasons. There's nothing to see, folks!

markhopes
markhopes
1 posts
Nomad

Nobody want see to ads when start to play online games. All come to the gaming site to only play online games. As per my point of view.

thesakew
thesakew
203 posts
Jester

This is mostly true. We have a pretty good community here, so not everyone is on AG just for the games. And you're right. Nobody wants to see ads when playing online games. That's why I got rid of them by getting AFG+. Like people have said already through this thread, they need income to run the site, and it comes through ad revenue. Unless you can find someone to donate a lot of money to them, they're gonna have to run ads.

Maybe we should start a Kickstarter campaign to fund Armor Games to remove all ads. How much money would you need to run the site ad-free until the end of time?

I'll tell some my experience about Ads. If you want to block or remove all ads just use AdBlock addon or extension in your browser. We learn to be honest by bought the "difference" that removing ads (in other perspective means we bought the ads) and contribute some traffics that helps running the site.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

If you want to block or remove all ads just use AdBlock addon

Adblock kills sites like this. I wouldn't recommend it.

Also I'll quote Ferret from a few posts up:

Also promoting ad-blocking can get you banned from the site. Ad-blocking kills websites, you make sad ferret sad.
yesimevil
yesimevil
9 posts
Peasant

I love how AG tries to spin this still as "New features!"

Ad-free (Used to be, being a member had that perk, then they took it away to make you pay for it).

Access to all games when they're released (Now you must pay for it or wait up to two months for the "beta" to end.)

yesimevil
yesimevil
9 posts
Peasant

Access to the community used to be part of membership. Now, if you want your concerns or questions addressed, you'd better be friends with staff to get into the Knight forum, or shell out money to get into the "I paid to play free games" forum, because otherwise, they just deride you and threaten bans if you solve the problems yourself, such as ads that conveniently come packaged with small bits of malicious software that try to steal your information, and eventually delete the post.

This place went to the dogs. Err, ferrets.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

they just deride you and threaten bans if you solve the problems yourself,

It depends on how you got the information. If you hacked to get into the knight forum then you will probably get banned. If you put two and two together on your own, most likely you will not get banned. If a knight told you the information, then the knight will probably get a temporary ban and/or get their knighting removed.

yesimevil
yesimevil
9 posts
Peasant

I'm referring to problems in general, like with the website. If you have an error with the website, you're SOL, even if there's a fix, until you pay to get ad-free forum access, where staff actually answers questions instead of saying "Yeah nope, that's on you. Try reinstalling your operating system, upgrading your graphics card and RAM, and replacing your monitor, and then ask this question again."

Also, if you want to ban me for not wanting to view ads and have my info stolen, by all means drop the banhammer. Telling people "If you don't want your credit card stolen, you need to pay us." is extortion.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Ad-free (Used to be, being a member had that perk, then they took it away to make you pay for it).

AG was never completely ad-free, even for users. Besides, from what I can tell, AFG+ doesn't work on the news or all categories page.

Access to all games when they're released (Now you must pay for it or wait up to two months for the "beta" to end.)

Actually, there have only been 4 AFG+ betas in 90+ games since AFG+ came out, which is less than 5%. In addition, AFG+ beta only last 1 week.

Access to the community used to be part of membership.

It still is. After all, there is much more to the community than getting answers to support questions, giving feedback, or making suggestions.

Now, if you want your concerns or questions addressed, you'd better be friends with staff to get into the Knight forum, or shell out money to get into the "I paid to play free games" forum, because otherwise, they just deride you and threaten bans if you solve the problems yourself, such as ads that conveniently come packaged with small bits of malicious software that try to steal your information, and eventually delete the post.

The only time you could get banned for solving your own support issues is if you use hacks to do it. As for the rest of that quote, I will respond to the reworded version below.

I'm referring to problems in general, like with the website. If you have an error with the website, you're SOL, even if there's a fix, until you pay to get ad-free forum access, where staff actually answers questions instead of saying "Yeah nope, that's on you. Try reinstalling your operating system, upgrading your graphics card and RAM, and replacing your monitor, and then ask this question again."

There are actually plenty of problems that are on the user's end, and the "common" solution you posted is actually an extreme measure that's rarely necessary. Most issues can be solved by any of the following:

- Refreshing the page
- Clearing your cache
- Updating your browser and flash player
- Trying a different browser or even a privacy version of the browser you're using
- Disabling add-ons

If none of those solutions work, it's most likely a problem that can only be solved by waiting, or it's an issue with the site itself.

Also, what makes you think AFG+ members get better answers than non-AFG+ members?

Also, if you want to ban me for not wanting to view ads and have my info stolen, by all means drop the banhammer. Telling people "If you don't want your credit card stolen, you need to pay us." is extortion.

Ads are only dangerous if you click on them. Also, I don't think using an ad blocker is bannable, but promoting the use of them is.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Telling people "If you don't want your credit card stolen, you need to pay us." is extortion.

Extortion is forcing someone to do something. No one is threatening to kill you or your family to stop using Ad Blocker.

yesimevil
yesimevil
9 posts
Peasant

Also promoting ad-blocking can get you banned from the site.

If promoting it can, using it can. Also, once Ferret sees this, the posts will get delete anyway.

Also, to the person who said ads are only dangerous when clicked, you're aware that an ad hosted off-site could easily contain a virus. You can inject code into a single pixel.

yesimevil
yesimevil
9 posts
Peasant

Oh, and saying "Stop using ad-blocker or we'll ban you" is still a form of extortion. It's just not extortion under threat of GBH.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Oh, and saying "Stop using ad-blocker or we'll ban you" is still a form of extortion. It's just not extortion under threat of GBH.

That's because by using ad-blocker you take away some earnings from AG. Which is like torrenting movies, it takes away from the people who actually worked hard to make them. Just like how the AG team works hard to keep the site running smoothly and neatly. If you can't tell, this site doesn't have as many ads as other sites.

Isn't watching a minute ad worth the hours of gaming? I've already said this to one person before. Please be reasonable, with the reasonable amount of ads that are shown. I would even say AG has less ads than youtube, which is something.

This isn't extortion because after five seconds you get to skip an add. Also, if you can't skip it, then just think that it's worth waiting for after you play the flash game.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@yesimevil Since I don't know the level of trolling you're doing just to upset people, I'm not going to dig to much into what you're saying. Ads are needed to pay server costs and developers for the games they create. "Free" games aren't free, people must eat and support families. Hopefully you can respect that, if you can't our conversation is over.

Since we've determined there needs to be money made, we've come up with two solutions. One is advertising, and it's "Free" in a way that you just spend your time. So not really free, but a different currency. Another is AFG+, allowing users to pay a VERY small amount of money to skip the ads but still support game development.

Back in the day, it used to be a small amount of advertising went a long way and so (and I wasn't around for this) if what you're saying is true and users got no ads, it was likely because we were able to sustain the website on that.

Knights/AFG+ forums don't have any better support then the Support Forums do. Anybody can contact me at Ferret@ArmorGames.com and get a personal e-mail back, I help sometimes hundreds of people a day. It's one of the things I love about my job.

Promoting ways that don't allow developers to get paid or servers to get powered is in effect trying to kill our website, and thus is a bannable offense. Yes. This is not "extortion", but common sense. Thanks.

trigon123
trigon123
1,279 posts
Herald

Hey Ferret,

AFG+ Isn't be bad... But... It should be better if you make a "unlimited time" for this really good thing. (unlimited Time + More money for Armorgames)

What do you think?

Showing 61-75 of 162