ForumsNews and FeedbackAd-Free Gaming

162 64182
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Hate ads? You now have an option to remove them from the site. Just click the remove button next to ads and for a nominal fee you can remove the ads from the site.

Also, there may be a super secret forum. I mean... err NO forum, that doesn't exist.

• 162 Replies
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@raunchy And what things are those raunchy? Just so we're crystal clear on what you're saying.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

He cannot find them, but they exist and support his claim. That's pretty much the definition of Argument from Ignorance: lack of evidence to the contrary.

Until he actually uses the claim that there is evidence in lieu of evidence, he hasn't made an argument from ignorance.

you must be trolling mattem. have some faith in what I say is true. you seem to believe other things that have no evidence of being true.

Thank you for that very effective demonstration of whataboutism. Having faith in one thing does not mandate having faith in anything and everything ever claimed to be true by anyone in the history of forever.

You claim that the admins have made a promise in the past, and are now revoking it, but that isn't actally the case. No promise was made. No "untill the end of time" guarantee was made. No oath-of-assurance was made. Freakenstein explained all this in this thread, and Devoidless explained it again in your thread here. The ads removed by signing up were the ones that covered the comment section; ads which no longer exist at all, so, technically, you're still getting that service and taking it for granted.

In re your slippery slope concerns: Anything relating to the use of adspace has to be kept in a transient state. If the revenue from AFG becomes significantly less than the price of advertisement and ad revenue drops due to the presence of AFG, keeping it any longer would be disastrous. This is why it is within their sole discretion to discontinue AFG, or any other special feature which might detract from their revenue.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Okay, okay, so what is it?

Not sure if there's an exact term for it. It would probably be some kind of red herring, because it does absolutely nothing for his argument.
raunchy
raunchy
40 posts
Blacksmith

fish thanks for finding those threads. they back up exactly what I have said. even back then the mod pretty much said "we put them back in for money" and in the other one it was also pointed out that the sign up was to remove video ads before games and it was added back in when the site had its big change. so pretty much thing I have stated here has been proven legit.

so I stand by my prediction of AFG in this format being only temporary and will change in the next 2 years to squeeze more money from people.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@raunchy Clearly you didn't read the posts or are trolling, as they argue against what you're saying. If it's the latter, I'd exercise caution. Consider that a formal warning.

raunchy
raunchy
40 posts
Blacksmith

im not trolling. the thread not started by me was complain about the same thing I was at about the same time 4 years ago. you see the mods response about comment boxes but then the next post is when OP states that that is not what he was talking about.

as far as what is said in my thread on the subject im talking about what the mod says not devoidless as fish wants to point out. the mod says "we need money so ads", devoidless says "that wasn't the cast the best he can recall".

as far as commenting and reading others comments I don't a majority of the time. a few of the MMOs like BW2 I did for in game adds for extras and that was the extent of it for the most part. so I know I did not sign up for that reason, it was strictly to not see pre game video ads.

those 2 threads back up what I have said from page 1 of this thread based on OP posts and mod responses. if im trolling then this has been the most elaborate set and wait 4 years for the pay off troll ever.

ban me if you want I don't care. what I have said is true and I have predicted will happen.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

so pretty much thing I have stated here has been proven legit.

If you actually read the thread, then you'd notice the picture of the past comments saying, "Sign up to remove this ad". It never mentioned anything about video ads. So technically, you're still wrong.

you see the mods response about comment boxes but then the next post is when OP states that that is not what he was talking about.

The OP was talking about the comment ad free promise thing but he obviously misunderstood when he signed up because, like the picture says, if you sign up you only remove the ads in the comments.

as far as what is said in my thread on the subject im talking about what the mod says not devoidless as fish wants to point out. the mod says "we need money so ads", devoidless says "that wasn't the cast the best he can recall".

Devoidless said:

...yes. On comments, not on games.

So even he mentions that it's only on comments, not on games.

o I know I did not sign up for that reason, it was strictly to not see pre game video ads.

Well it seems you misunderstood the promise.

those 2 threads back up what I have said from page 1 of this thread based on OP posts and mod responses.

They show that there was a promise on comment ads, not video ads.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

fish thanks for finding those threads. they back up exactly what I have said.

Um, no, actually, they don't. By now (assuming that you are sufficiently literate in English and have more than merely glanced at the responses that I pointed out), you should be all too well aware that they are referring to something entirely distinct from your claim, much like they were in the "Stop the no-skip ads" thread. You appear to be selectively tuning out everything that conflates with your initial assumption. Perhaps it will be easier to see if I explain with a parable:

While sitting on the porch one saturday afternoon, Bobby notices Jimmy walking by with a candy bar. Jimmy, who is a generous sort and knows this is Bobby's favourite kind of candy, says "Come to the playground with me and I'll give you half." Bobby agrees, and gets half of the candy. This same exchange is made every saturday for several weeks.
Eventually, however, Jimmy finds that the store has raised the price of candy bars. He can no longer afford to buy one every week. He tells Bobby the news and is taken aback when Bobby suddenly becomes very angry. "We had a deal; I go to the playground, and you give me a candy bar! You can't just back out of your promise now!", Bobby shouts.
"What do you mean? I shared with you because I could afford it, not because of some promise. I thought you liked going to the playground.", Jimmy responds.
Bobby exclaims before storming off; "No! You're a liar and a cheapskate and a phony! I'm not gonna hang out with somebody who can't even keep a promise, and I'm going to tell everyone about how you cheated me."
Fin.

As you can see, when Jimmy first offered the candy, Bobby fixated upon the irrational idea that Jimmy was making a non-voidable contract, whereas, in reality, it was at most a simple gentleman's agreement, which was subject to the prevailing circumstances existing at the time it was made. When this arrangement ended, Bobby accused Jimmy of fraud, despite there never being any long-term contract in place. Bobby is therefore in error, and has wronged Jimmy in making this accusation.

Please note that any resemblance to any real person(s) or group(s) alive or dead is coincidental, and not necessarily causal.

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

@raunchy

Your post suggests to me that you are singling out users with status and scrutinizing their words to fit some kind of agenda, without taking into consideration the way the conversation is going in real time. Your post is also a retracting statement geared into a negative response.

The 2 previous posts indicate that with AFG there will be no ads. He then makes a confirmation post.

So... What has he done wrong? A "he said she said" approach is silly, and redundant in casual conversation. If you are going to scrutinize anything take a look at the Terms and Conditions. I highly suggest looking up the portion on "modifications"

gaming_demon
gaming_demon
2 posts
Peasant

How To Activate Ad-free gaming ?

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@gaming_demon Hey there! We're having a little trouble with the AFG+ purchase right now. Please try again in the next few hours.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

The good news is, making a paypal account is free.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@MattEmAngel Yeah it's true, it's on our list - just not very high up there.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@Ferret, it's also on the Games with Quests page! Just letting you know! Though I'm more excited to see all the new profile changes!

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@MattEmAngel While this was a cosmetic update, it was also setting a stage for future profile enhancements. Often this is what your going to see going forward, it's not always about the look - but about updating old code and making it secure.

Much like the forum update that is going to come.

Showing 121-135 of 162