ForumsGamesGemini Strike

34 20659
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,961 posts
Bard

The official thread for our new app released by Armor Games, "Gemini Strike," is now open!

*cuts ribbon*

Any and all discussion (tactics, concern/complaints, praise, etc) goes here.

Guess I'll start it off with a little Pro/Con list.

Pros:
1. Graphics are lovely. Slightly retro with plenty of good effects to go around.
2. Music is perfect for the graphic style and setting.
3. Characters are amusing. I thoroughly enjoy having a character who says what I say to NPCs, which is generally "Shut up, I already know this." The obligation to go over the basics isn't as painful as it usually is. Also they remind me of some of our AG members. Not sure which yet.
4. Extremely basic controls. No annoying on-screen joysticks or anything. Auto-fires your cannons, and the rest of your guns, allowing you to focus on dodging and launching special attacks, which you can do just by double-tapping the screen. Love it.
5. Has a mission where you cannot fire your guns. Evasion and quick reactions only. A lovely way to improve your skills and die repeatedly. Still fun.
6. Random side jobs. I actually enjoy the random variable. Makes me want to get on more often and check it out.
7. Well-designed menu. Everything is where it should be and it easy to access, even though Captain Obvious needs to tell you where to go. "Click items to check your items." Fortunately your player berates him for it, which is certainly amusing. Not only that, the game immediately tells you how far you are from the boss post-mission.
8. Enemies are not completely impossible to dodge. Woo.

Cons:
1. In-App purchases.

Wait, hang on, hear me out. Yes, the game is initially free, and the devs decided to make money from the IAPs. It makes sense. That's how they turn a profit. Unfortunately, I, along with many other gamers, would rather just pay a few bucks for the game and skip past the IAP stuff.

My main complaint is that this game commits the cardinal sin of IAPs: halting your gameplay by giving you limited lives that regenerate over time. Candy Crush does that and that's why I don't play Candy Crush anymore. I'm not about to use up those valuable credits and buy more just to keep playing the game. Not only that, but the reasons contradict themselves.

1-a. When you die, you come back as a clone. It's not complicated. "Borderlands" does the same. The problem is that you 'run out of clones' and have to wait like 8 minutes for a new one.

What??

Does the clone machine overheat or something? It's a weak excuse to make you do something else for a while or pay up, with the emphasis being on the latter. It doesn't make sense that money makes the clone device suddenly work again.

1-b. The other continuity, playing off the same credit system, is the one-time piracy missions. Ren, the aforementioned Captain Obvious, informs you that you get one shot at completing the mission. If you die, you're done. Unless you use a credit, in which case the mission reappears.

What??

Yes, I would honestly rather lose the mission, which I lost because I screwed up, and try a new one later, as opposed to getting it back by spending those rare credits you only get once a day or in special cases. Granted, it also costs to open chests (which doesn't make much sense), but at least I can stock up through missions to earn the gems I need.

2. Gems. Oooh *shudder* Let me go ahead and say I immediately dismiss pretty much every app with gems, gold, diamonds or any other fancy-sounding thing. The names have been tainted by overuse and invariably cost money. All I request is that you call them something else. Credits, okay. Gems, no. Gems floating around in outer space and hiding in enemy spaceships? It makes not the sense.

3. Online play only. Please please please PLEASE no. Let it save to our mobile device. Let us save it online when we want. Anything but required internet. It hurts.

Changes:
1. ANYTHING but gems. Makes no sense, killed by overuse. Cells, charges, metals, alloys, , whatever. They explode out of ships and are found in space. Gotta be a better name for it.
2. No online play. Ruins the experience. I can't play unless I'm at home (which is just a Saturday), at my apartment (Comcast ripped us off with awful WiFi) or on campus (attending classes).

---

Oddly enough, as huge as my complaints are, the pros outweigh the cons. The gameplay is certainly fun enough and smooth enough to keep me playing it, despite the pointless waiting and lack of shiny things.

• 34 Replies
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,961 posts
Bard

Seriously, I just tried to beat a tough level. I got killed five times, so now I have to wait around for 10 minutes to keep trying. This is frustrating and bad for business.

Ferret
Ferret
9,305 posts
Constable

Clones don't grow on trees @MattEmAngel!

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,961 posts
Bard

@Ferret Neither do spaceships, but I don't have any wait time to get a new one of those.

tom0000009
tom0000009
1,316 posts
Shepherd

Im currently nearing the end of sector 31. Im still liking the game so far and I haven't spent any money on IAP. Unfortunately, dialogue shows up less frequently for me now and nothing much has happened story wise since I (SPOILER ALERT) recieved an innnocent verdict in the court case and then murdered the judge afterwards.

The way the game seems to play out for me is that I steam roll through sectors with the occaisional death every now and then until I run into a sector that I can't beat. When that happens, I either keep banging my head against the wall until I beat it or farm the previous sector in hopes of finding worthwhile gear (standard drop boxes do drop rare items but the odds are rare). After i get past that wall, the cycle repeats.

The game does have some issues though. I use the RAIKOU ship and it has a lot of firepower. That firepower can push shielded enemeies offscreen and when a shielded enemy goes offscreen, I can't kill it. Also, if an enemy is about to exit the screen on the bottom and I manage to shove it upwards with my bullets, they can shoot at me at the side of the screen. This becomes a huge issue when the shielded enemy happens to shoot lasers as I literally cannot avoid it.

The dodging levels are all easy for me except for the meteor levels, screw meteors! Those things can take out a huge chunk of my hp! As for the blockades, they become easy because a lot of traps tend to repeat and the game introduces new traps very slowly giving plenty of time to learn how to survive them. The mine missions are just simply easy for me.

My RAIKOU is equiped with 1 purple item, 2 rare items, and a standard item. The purple item gives me about +70 on all stats and heals 200 hp whenever i use a reactor. The 2 green items boost all of stats with numbers ranging from 65 to 138 and they both shoot photon missiles that deal 429 and 457 damage. The standard item gives +88 damage and +77 armor. It also has a 6% chance to stun for 2 seconds. It works pretty well, its a bit tanky but it can kill small enemies fast and stunlock the bigger ships most of the time. The overall stats are 330atk 367life 390armor.

What is your ship like and what sectors are you people on?

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,961 posts
Bard

Got another Con:
4. Secret missions are (not) available. I got an alert saying a new mission was available, so I hopped back into the game. No missions. At the time, I was back in Sector 1. So far as I can tell, when you're on S1, you cannot access secret missions because that's where they show up when you're in S2. That's a problem, because the only way to level up if you're stuck in S2 is to grind S1.

Suggestion: make a third "sector" off to the side on the star map where missions show up. Or just give me a menu that says what the mission is and let me go in-game from there. It's a bit frustrating, especially when I get alerts for something I can't access.

tom0000009
tom0000009
1,316 posts
Shepherd

Story question (SPOILER ALERT) :

Does the story end at Sector 50 because literally everyone is dead (except for the prince i guess) at the end of that sector. I'm at Sector 54 now and I have seen nothing happen story wise ever since sector 50.

UNOWNRAM
UNOWNRAM
1 posts
Peasant

Story ends at Sector 100. From 50 onwards though, there is little dialogue. Also if any of you guys could tell me what happened after you defeat the Empress, the app messed up and I missed the dialogue. :/

Evilneil99
Evilneil99
1 posts
Shepherd

im at sector 57, still moving forward.

very little dialogue, ren, iris, beckham died. prince got away, "mother" aint happy that the pilot doesn't reply to her audio messages.

all items dropped from sectors 40-up are standard items, not even a super rare. not even once.

void bomb is kinda cool but i know it can be improved further. im dying to see the ending of the story line.

Anvindr (all secret items level 5)

Javelin Gear mk-x
220 life
249 armor
50% hp repair when stationary for 5 sec

zhenyu cannon vx
216 dam
258 life
272 armor
plasma rockets that deal 175% of the ships total dam. (homing rockets)

zensaki scatter vx
367 dam
237 life
357 armor
scatter shots that deal 175% of the ships total dam

kyoshin gun mkx
614 dam
288 life
288 armor
10% chance to restore 3% of the damage as hp

8/10 rating

Banthafodder1
Banthafodder1
18 posts
Peasant

Kyoshin gun is really 614 ATK?

tom0000009
tom0000009
1,316 posts
Shepherd

On sector 82 CONSCIENCE and I can comfirm that the story kinda stops at sector 50. Your character never speaks at all after sector 50 and there are only 2 characters that have any dialog, mother, and the empress (why does she have boobs but no orb head like the viceroy, prosecuter, or prince???).

As for my ships, I have an Anvindr, which i use to kill bosses, and a Raikou, which I use to clear normal levels.

My stats are:
Damage 1269
Life 561
Armor 2062

It uses 2 gold items (shield and black hole) and 2 standard items (heal and emp bullets)

It kinda sucks despite all that armor, I'm hoping to get some more damage or life heavy gear. It still gets the job done though.

Kyoshin gun is really 614 ATK?

Item stats are higher depending on the sector where you obtained them so yes it is.
Banthafodder1
Banthafodder1
18 posts
Peasant

So if you use the black market at say sector 100 you will have better items overall?

tom0000009
tom0000009
1,316 posts
Shepherd

Decided to just do one final rush to finish the story and I accidentally skipped the final dialogue box that pops up in the results screen!!! I'm so #%^*ing pissed about that suprise dialogue box! Even worse is I bet the game won't even replay the dialogue! What a disapointing end to my final push. If anyone can tell me what that last dialogue box says, I would really appreciate it.

So if you use the black market at say sector 100 you will have better items overall?

I never used the black market but yea I would assume so.

So my final thoughts on the game is that its pretty good. Despite all of its challenges, I never spent any money on any iap. I did abuse some glitches so I could bypass the limits of the life system but I still beat the game with my own skills. The game still has a few glitches but it still works fine. At later levels, ally ships are nothing more than a distraction so maybe make them move independently and have ai that allows them to survive and fight on their own. The gameplay gets really hectic late game as the screen will fill up with bullets if you leave too many enemies alive on screen. I personally found lasers and meteors to be the biggest threats. Laser enemies can sweep across the whole screen severely limiting your options and meteors are a near one hit kill for me. Its still manageable though.

My suggestions are to move the pause button up a bit so I don't accidentally hit it all the time when my finger goes to the bottom right corner, don't put dialogue boxes in the results screen, fix the vortex bomb by making it shoot farther so it hurts enemies more than it hurts you, more 35 credit ships to compete with the Anvindr, more credit and gem sinks, more sectors beyond 100, flesh out the later sector's story more, more boss diversity, make the first few sectors more noob friendly, make barricade and mine missions an actual challenge to complete, a way to increase the life cap or have infinite lives other than glitches, and an endless mode.

My stats when I finished the game where

Damage 1656
Health 1248
Armor 1776

I have a really old gold shield, an old standard heal unit, new standard emp gun, and a kinda old gold chainer.

The ships I had unlocked where:
Raikou (used most of the time)
Anvindr (used whenever I run into a boss fight I'm struggling with)

As for money, i had:
49133 gems
44 credits

Pro tip: picking the strongest gear statistically isn't always the best thing to do. For example, I have a gold vortex item but i use a standard emp item instead. My Raikou's rate of fire makes the emp effect more reliable while the vortex just doesn't help me much as it detonates too closely from where you fire it.

Banthafodder1
Banthafodder1
18 posts
Peasant

Did you find most of the gear in the standard cargo boxes? Or did you play black market and reduced price special cargo throigh secret mission.

tom0000009
tom0000009
1,316 posts
Shepherd

I did both, my gold shield and chainer came from cargo missions and the standard heal and emp gun came from standard boxes.

LeDazz
LeDazz
3 posts
Peasant

Basically finished also - am on 78 (Misfortune), but haven't really lost a battle since around 40. The lack of story since 50 makes it a bit of a grind. Always surprises me when you spend years (and they did, literally) making a game, getting all the hard stuff right in the background, then don't go the final mile by spending a few hours on text boxes for us story heads. Literally, that's all it would have taken to come up with a decent story arc that lasts the whole game. I could have done it for them, and it would have moved the game from a 7-8 out of 10 with a disappointing grind to the finish, up to an 8-9 out of 10 which keeps you captivated till the end.

Same goes for the boss battles, there are maybe 4 different types of ship, would have perhaps taken a day of work to add the art / function for a couple more. Next to the entire development time, it just strikes me that it would have been a good time investment.

Great game still, I hope someone out there put something into the IAP (I didn't), because the dev deserves some reward.

My ship as it stands is

861 ATK
2453 Life
1923 Armour

4 Orange items (secret)

Shield
Heal
175% Spread
EMP Lasers

The heal is the newest piece of kit, (1086 Life, 600 Armour) 7% per 5 secs. The lasers are pretty useless, but the stats were too good to deny.

And I use the top ship with the inbuilt shield.

Great game - could have been slightly greater, without too much effort.

Showing 1-15 of 34