The official thread for our new app released by Armor Games, "Gemini Strike," is now open!
Any and all discussion (tactics, concern/complaints, praise, etc) goes here.
Guess I'll start it off with a little Pro/Con list.
1. Graphics are lovely. Slightly retro with plenty of good effects to go around.
2. Music is perfect for the graphic style and setting.
3. Characters are amusing. I thoroughly enjoy having a character who says what I say to NPCs, which is generally "Shut up, I already know this." The obligation to go over the basics isn't as painful as it usually is. Also they remind me of some of our AG members. Not sure which yet.
4. Extremely basic controls. No annoying on-screen joysticks or anything. Auto-fires your cannons, and the rest of your guns, allowing you to focus on dodging and launching special attacks, which you can do just by double-tapping the screen. Love it.
5. Has a mission where you cannot fire your guns. Evasion and quick reactions only. A lovely way to improve your skills and die repeatedly. Still fun.
6. Random side jobs. I actually enjoy the random variable. Makes me want to get on more often and check it out.
7. Well-designed menu. Everything is where it should be and it easy to access, even though Captain Obvious needs to tell you where to go. "Click items to check your items." Fortunately your player berates him for it, which is certainly amusing. Not only that, the game immediately tells you how far you are from the boss post-mission.
8. Enemies are not completely impossible to dodge. Woo.
1. In-App purchases.
Wait, hang on, hear me out. Yes, the game is initially free, and the devs decided to make money from the IAPs. It makes sense. That's how they turn a profit. Unfortunately, I, along with many other gamers, would rather just pay a few bucks for the game and skip past the IAP stuff.
My main complaint is that this game commits the cardinal sin of IAPs: halting your gameplay by giving you limited lives that regenerate over time. Candy Crush does that and that's why I don't play Candy Crush anymore. I'm not about to use up those valuable credits and buy more just to keep playing the game. Not only that, but the reasons contradict themselves.
1-a. When you die, you come back as a clone. It's not complicated. "Borderlands" does the same. The problem is that you 'run out of clones' and have to wait like 8 minutes for a new one.
Does the clone machine overheat or something? It's a weak excuse to make you do something else for a while or pay up, with the emphasis being on the latter. It doesn't make sense that money makes the clone device suddenly work again.
1-b. The other continuity, playing off the same credit system, is the one-time piracy missions. Ren, the aforementioned Captain Obvious, informs you that you get one shot at completing the mission. If you die, you're done. Unless you use a credit, in which case the mission reappears.
Yes, I would honestly rather lose the mission, which I lost because I screwed up, and try a new one later, as opposed to getting it back by spending those rare credits you only get once a day or in special cases. Granted, it also costs to open chests (which doesn't make much sense), but at least I can stock up through missions to earn the gems I need.
2. Gems. Oooh *shudder* Let me go ahead and say I immediately dismiss pretty much every app with gems, gold, diamonds or any other fancy-sounding thing. The names have been tainted by overuse and invariably cost money. All I request is that you call them something else. Credits, okay. Gems, no. Gems floating around in outer space and hiding in enemy spaceships? It makes not the sense.
3. Online play only. Please please please PLEASE no. Let it save to our mobile device. Let us save it online when we want. Anything but required internet. It hurts.
1. ANYTHING but gems. Makes no sense, killed by overuse. Cells, charges, metals, alloys, , whatever. They explode out of ships and are found in space. Gotta be a better name for it.
2. No online play. Ruins the experience. I can't play unless I'm at home (which is just a Saturday), at my apartment (Comcast ripped us off with awful WiFi) or on campus (attending classes).
Oddly enough, as huge as my complaints are, the pros outweigh the cons. The gameplay is certainly fun enough and smooth enough to keep me playing it, despite the pointless waiting and lack of shiny things.
- 34 Replies
You get one live every 15 minutes, not eight. I counted that.
It says its incompatible! why? I'm using iso 6 on an ipod 3 but its not working! (the required iso version is 4)
How do I get credits?
I'm not quite sure when the last time this was updated but i am at sector 28 and have full gold weapons. Currently there is an exploit on the IOS that alows you to spam the secret missions, allowing you to get around 10 credits in 5 minutes
My current setup is
Trident shield VX
Guardian spark Mk-x
Scorpio blaster VX
Terra Blaster VX
Ship is Violete Wolf
You must be logged in to post a reply!