ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121496
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

@TheMostManlyMan I'll get you for that.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

@09philj Probably the best episode of FMA, really cements the show in your memory.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

really cements the show in your memory.

For this read:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3516/3304699578_247d2558c7.jpg

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Three anime in a single week. That's probably not healthy.

So the anime I've finished is called the Rolling Girls. It was a great anime.

So here's the story, a group of girls are travelling around a divided Japan looking for a special kind of stones while also fixing problems for each region.

The show is great, it's almost like Kill la Kill but without the fan service. The characters are great and I never found myself bored. There was always something interesting and hilarious going on in each episode.

The characters are also great. Every character has their own unique charm and I found myself loving each and every one.

I also really love the opening, not just because of the song but the four girls in the opening look like they're really having fun and it brings a liveliness to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk36FnjQ2U0]

So I would highly recommend this show, I loved it and would definitely put it in my top 10 anime.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

The dog goes "da....dry..?" ^-^

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

So I finished Rail Wars. A show about trains and four friends who are some kind of railroad police force.

In the beginning Rail Wars actually seemed like it was possibly going somewhere. However right when it hit episode 4, it became obvious that the people who created this thing decided to focus more on the many different ways of showing of women's bodies, than an actual plot. There's literally no plot unless you count the main character who's turned on by trains and is attracted to every girl he hangs out with.

Speaking of the character, let me complain about him. The main character's name is Takayama. Takayama joins the railroad police force(I seriously can't even remember the name of the organization) in hopes to become a driver.(why he joins a police force for trains, I don't know.) However this kid's love for trains is unnatural and very strange. Sometimes I want to face palm when he sees a train, remembers it's exact name, and just about everything about the train. Also, why does he turn on so many women? That's a question I'd like answered.

Yeah, Rail Wars was bad. It was really bad. Such a shame, I was crossing my fingers hoping that somehow Rail Wars would redeem itself. It didn't of course.

Also the last episode was literally about Takayama fixing an air conditioner. gg anime.

The only people who'd love this anime are people who are very interested in trains and fan service.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

I've watched enough of Netflix's four recent anime additions to comment on all of them. Good chance of spoilers for a couple shows so I'll split each in their own paragraph and give a bold warning before spoiling anything.

K A lousy show with absolutely horrendous dubbing. I literally could not listen to the english voice acting for more than 5 seconds before I had to switch over to subbed. Do not watch this. SPOILERS The show's plot is completely reliant on the protagonist having amnesia and not even realizing it because the magical cat/naked chick he hangs out with implanted fake memories in him. As a result, very little gets explained until the last few episodes and by the time everything is revealed the "twist" is completely obvious.

Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan This is apparently not the first season of this show. I have no idea what happens in the first season, but that would explain why characters never seen before randomly show up in the last two episodes. The story itself is very similar to Bleach and Inuyasha in the way the main characters gains power from a supposedly evil bloodline to protect the people he cares about. And fair warning, episode 13 is nothing but a flashback episode and can be ignored without missing anything. It's also the last episode of the season which sucks because the first 12 are basically just exposition and a training montage. It's not bad, but I wouldn't recommend watching it unless you have access to all season's at once. The dubbing on this one is almost as bad as on K, so I recommend watching subbed if you do.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet This series is actually an excellent story about a soldier trying to cope with life after leaving the war zone. It's also from Bandai and the only one out of the 4 series with good enough dubbing that I didn't switch to watching subbed. It takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where humans were forced into space by an ice age and are fighting monsters called Hideauze which all look like squids and nautiluses. The protagonist is attacked during a retreat into a wormhole and finds himself on an Earth that has defrosted but all of the land was flooded. There are some fan service moments, mostly an episode where all of the girls are running around in bikinis because it's their day off, but nothing too extreme. SPOILERS His brief thoughts of peace are soon ended when he discovers hideauze on Earth. He eventually learns that not only were hideauze humans that were genetically engineered to survive in space, but that his civilization is knowingly continuing a war that began briefly before the exodus into space while lying to the people about it so they can continue to recruit soldiers.

Lagrange: The Flower of Rinne This is the only series recently added with more than one season, and I have no expectation of actually finishing it. While the dubbing isn't horrible, the character quirks of the 3 protagonists are so extreme it's easy to feel that something is lost in translation. I'm 6 episodes into season one and the show can't seem to decide whether it wants to be a comedy, a mech action series, or a strike witches style magical girl fanservice series. This makes it almost completely unwatchable as it leaps from fight scenes to long moments of one character awkwardly screwing everything up for "comedy" to moments of pure fanservice with no purpose in the story.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Accidentally lost what I was typing so I'll condense it for my sake.

Finished watching Full Metal Panic this morning. It started off alright, they had a strong enough plot basis, but then they ignored that and got sidetracked by a very poorly thought out villain with no motive and other various flaws. It was also mildly humorous.

Season 2 was basically a collection of OVAs and took the same joke from season 1 and rehashed it over and over again. I made it about halfway through before I just couldn't take it anymore.

Season 3 was rather shocking. By shocking I mean it went from TV-14 to full on TV-MA with partial nudity, graphic violence (which I was fine with) and about double the amount of cursing (plus about a dozen F-words [apparently there's much less cursing in the subbed]). They did exactly what they did with season 1; that is to say, they made it seem like they were going to make it about that good premise and then the ignored it for an even more pathetic villain. While certain parts of it did improve on certain parts of season 1, it wasn't anywhere near as good.

They did one more *major* thing that they did in season 1 spoiler alert they *briefly* brought back the antagonist from season 1. The reason I say that that was a repeated action is because said character died *it seems like* half a dozen times from being at the center of an unsurvivable explosion only to return with no real explanation.

In short. Season 1 was good, I'll probably be re-watching it soon, not because it was that good but more to get rid of the bad taste left by the other seasons. Season 2 was physically painful to watch. And I wouldn't recommend season 3 for 3 different reasons, each of them alone would be enough for me to not recommend them. The reasons being the partial nudity, the very excessive language (Note: season 1 had about Cowboy Bebop levels which was a bit, but not all that much) and lastly, because it just wasn't very good.

Believe it or not I refrained from ranting too long about the many, many faults with this show and I refrained from mentioning many of those faults. All that being said, its the first show that I've watched in quite awhile that I've been able to sit up and watch for hours without getting tired (well, for the first 2/3 of season 1, that is) and one of the reasons for that is because while it did have a pretty weak plot, I did really like most of the characters.

Sorry for how long that went on.... I've started watching Fate/Stay Night. My review for that almost certainly won't be that long.

@R2D21999 and @SirPuddington you two need to go and watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It is an extremely good movie and I'll say no more about it. I suggest watching subbed as it does take place in Japan. I did try watching a little bit of it dubbed and I really didn't think that the voices fit the characters (granted I did only watch a few seconds and that was after I watched it subbed 2 or 3 times). Anyway, it's a great movie. Go watch it.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Zankyou no Terror, or in English, Terror in Resonance is the last anime thing I have seen. It did not disappoint. To be honest ZnT felt very similar to Death Note in atmosphere and it was really well done.

First let me get to the story, two boys, Nine and Twelve, head to Tokyo and cause a terrorist attack in a public building. Of course, nobody knows who the perpetrators are. However the only evidence that the boys left behind is a video with a clue that was uploaded before the bombs exploded. Of course, before the actual terrorist attack happened, everyone believed it was a joke and then it turned out to be true.

ZnT is very interesting and I don't really have too much to complain about it. The only thing that comes to my head is that one of the antagonists was talking in English and it didn't sound very good. Of course that seems to be a problem in just about every anime sub that

I would highly recommend Zankyou no Terror to those who have enjoyed Death Note and to those who love a good psychological feel.

Anyways I think I might take a break from anime for awhile. It's probably best for my brain.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Just to make one thing clear, I was very close to just giving up on season three due to the high volume of MA content.

As for Zankyou no Terror, I don't know, I could never really get into it, not until the last episode or two anyways. Part of it may have been that I was watching that at the same time I was watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but it was before FMA:B got really good.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

I just finished watching Fate/Stay Night. I can honestly say that it is the worst show I've watched in a very long time, possibly even worse than Ergo Proxy. If you know how much I hate Ergo Proxy then you know that that's really saying something for me to hate Fate/Stay Night more.

Besides it being the most generic and stereotypical Shonen I've ever seen, they just made everything up as they went along, breaking as many rules of the show as was necessary for the plot. If it had better writers, they could have made the show a mind bender as good as Death Note. I'm not going to do what I did with Full Metal Panic and go over the biggest problems of the show, there are just too many of them for that to not turn into an essay length rant.

I will give it this, and this only; it had a good soundtrack. In fact, I'd say that the soundtrack perfectly fit the mood they were attempting to reach in the show.

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

I wonder, have you watched Fate/Zero? It's a prequel for that series and is much more better in terms of animation (because it's not DEEN who's animating it) and story. Also, some of the problems you were talking about was due to writers stuffing parts of the story from the other routes into the route they were adapting during the latter part.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I got around to watching episodes 7 and 8 of Cowboy Bebop and episode 8 of Fullmetal Alchemist. Both series seem to be really getting into their stride.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

I may or may not eventually watch Fate/Zero, but for now I'll not watch it because even if it is better I'm not sure I can take anymore of the Fate series just now.

I think I'm going to spend the next few days watching anime movies instead of TV shows. I'd like to take that time and accumulate a list of shows to watch for when I'm done. What I'm looking for right now is a very plot centered show. After Fate/Stay Night something that either isn't a Shonen or is like Death Note in that, while it is Shonen, you wouldn't really guess because it doesn't have all of the things that characterize most Shonen.

Thanks in advance.

Showing 181-195 of 333