ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121510
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

I stopped watching Black Butler after a couple episodes into the second season when several dead characters magically came back to life just for the sake of having a second season (including the protagonist). Never could get into Hetalia, I can't really explain what it is I don't like about it it's just not for me.

No, you don't understand. Not only is it the best anime, it's the best TV show ever. Obviously our opinions are very, very different so we'll have to agree to disagree before heads go flying.

I understand, I really do. I love Death Note too, but even though it was one of the shows that really got me into anime it's nowhere near the best anime I've ever seen. You say you're halfway through FMA which is only the 4th or 5th anime you've ever watched, try watching a few more before you decide what you consider the best ever. I listed more than a dozen shows as recommendations for series better than Toonami's typical line-up and that's only about 1/4 of all the series that I've watched to completion. Add in movies and series I didn't watch all the way through and I've probably seen well over 100 different animes.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

I'm 100% we will never agree on this topic.

Go back and finish Black Butler, it's amazing, so far it's my number 2 anime. Everything gets explained and you'll see that it was planned out from the beginning, not something they made for the same of another season.

As I said, for me, Death Note is not only my favorite anime, but my favorite TV and better than any movie or movie series I've ever seen. And I'd be pretty surprised if that changes any time soon. I respect your opinion, but I will never agree with it.

~Manly

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Have you watched Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds, Howl's Moving Castle, or Kiki's Delivery Service? They're all great movies from Studio Ghibli, all directed by Hayao Miyazaki, and are some of the best anime movies ever. If those don't sink your Death Note battleship then I will concede that we will never agree. But if you like any one of those movies more than Death Note then I'm certain I can find shows you'll like more as well.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

But if you like any one of those movies more than Death Note then I'm certain I can find shows you'll like more as well.

Eh, I have way too many animes to watch as is and I'm pacing restraining myself to 2 or 3 episodes a day. You stopped watching Black Butler after a couple of episodes into season 2 and that alone is a big enough difference in the way we think for me to know that we just have completely different taste in television. Besides that you think that FMA is the best, while I currently (not having watched the whole thing yet) have it placed as my third favorite, behind Death Note and Black Butler and ahead of Attack on Titan and SAO (not very far into it but not very into the show either).

Also, from what I've heard it seems to be generally agreed upon that Death Note is the best. Looking in page 1 Drink (who's recently finished his 50th anime) likes it best, the person who recommended it to me said it was his favorite and gladiator expressed that it is also his favorite.

~Manly
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Like I said, good but overrated by its fans.

There are two types of anime fans. Those that think Death Note is the greatest thing ever. And those that appreciate it but recognize its flaws. Depending on the community you're in you'll either find a lot of people who love Death Note more than any other anime, or a lot of people who find it to be overrated and avoid Death Note fans because... well your own words explain that best.
Yeah, this guy has a death wish for sure.
Of course, the same could also be said for any of the HST (the Holy Shonen Trinity of One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto) and various shows that are good but often rely on hit or miss story lines like the various Gundam series.
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Ditch SAO and go for some real anime

Uh.. okay, *continues Highschool DXD*
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Actually, throw me above a cliff for saying that. I don't like HS DXD. Lol.

I need to start going back to Bleach and Attack On Titan.

Snag618
Snag618
6,704 posts
Blacksmith

*Quietly sits in a corner, watching Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, and Death Note*
(But seriously, not that I've watched as many as I'd like, but these are my three favorite so far. NGE is good... but I'm not very far in. And I need to start SAO, to form my own opinion on it.)

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

You guys need to try Accel World. It's by the same author as SAO. As a note, don't immediately get turned off by the main protagonist when you first see him. Once you get past it, it's a pretty good show.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Already watched it. Definitely a far better defined universe and story-line than SAO provided. Haven't been able to watch the OVA though, it's just such a sharp change of pace from the main series.

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

To be fair, SAO was written before Accel World. So of course the writing is better for the latter. Or so I've heard but I'll probably need to double check.

As for OVAs, I hardly ever bother watching them since most of the time it's going to be fanservice which contributes nothing. Not that I have anything against fanservice of course.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

@Ishtaron I just finished Fullmetal Alchemist early this morning and wow. Just wow. That was one of the greatest things that I have ever watched. For me though, it's still second to Death Note though. It's a close call between FMA and Black Butler *which I highly recommend you finish*.

@Stormwalker Fullmetal Alchemist is insanely awesome. You should watch it some time. And as per your suggestion I've started Zankyou No Terror as well.

~Manly

Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Okay, I just finished SAO. I liked it, but the second half was a little boring and cliche.

You guys need to try Accel World. It's by the same author as SAO. As a note, don't immediately get turned off by the main protagonist when you first see him. Once you get past it, it's a pretty good show.

Okay, most of the time It doesn't bother me if the main protagonist turns me on or not, I sorta want the art style to be more than decent. SAO's art style was perfect, and that maybe wants me to pay more attention to the story and characters.
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Well I've finished everything else I was watching on Netflix, so I figured I'd give it a second chance. Almost finished with Black Butler's second season (episode 16 out of 18 on Netflix) and it's still horrible. Lau and Ran-Mao should still be dead yet they're both alive. Ciel's "memory loss" is never truly explained and just seems to be a matter of plot convenience. Actually everything about that story line comes off as a matter of cheap plot convenience, artificially extending the show long after it should have died. Then it goes off on a series of episodic non-sequitor stories that really add nothing to the show. I stand by my earlier assessment, Black Butler should never have gotten a second season. The first season was great, but the complete lack of consistency and any meaningful story turns watching the second season into a painful chore.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Maybe it would be best if we only talked about shows that up to one of us has watched.........

~Manly

Showing 16-30 of 333